Darn repair droid, other comments

Dire Wolf

Spaceman
Well ... I did the edit suggested in the forums ... which resulted in my launching all my games as blown up, in space, or on the landing pad without a ship. Went back and deleted the added code and everything is back to normal.

Bought a Kamekh. Hmm, flies only by keyboard, no mouse control. Kind of fun though, being milspec I couldn't do much with it, though it has lots of spare parts for sale.

I'm going to actually fly the Dralthi and Goat ;)

So far I've enjoyed the Demon.

Querry, milspec tachyon cannon -- how do they differ from normal ones?

Like the extra text here and there. The jump animation is nicely done, though you have to be really close to jump -- the original game you could hit the key further out.

The screens are very pretty, I enjoy the look of space, nicely done.

I'm really impressed. Haven't gotten to Oxford yet. Killing Retros from time to time to fix my alignment scores.

Not killing pirates out of hand like fleas (like I did the first time I played).

Anyway, all in all I'm impressed. The asteroids really look sharp.

Can you jump into Eden from Rikel? Aldebaran kicks out pirates where there should be only retros, so I gave up on it for retro hunting.

Kilrathi hunting seems to affect everyone's feelings. I might do some of that in Perry.

Anyway, I'm very, very impressed.

Dire Wolf said:
Can you jump into Eden from Rikel?

I meant to post about this as well... on the Fariss mission to 17-AR, I wanted to take this route, as represented on the print-out map I have from Privateer Resource; no jump, no joy. :(

Great news, Oxford has more than enough Retro hunting missions available to fix any alignment problems.

Which highlights an issue. Faction scores never go above 100 or below -100 (except on the e^etc. ones which are always temporary). It makes the plot work better, though it does prevent you from building up the retro kill solution just one time ;)

All in all a good thing.

hellcatv said:
actually your relationship can go below -100
we just don't tell you how far ;-)

Ahh, that explains the trouble I was having repairing it after Palan ... I thought there was something wrong with my understanding of some ratios. Can it go over 100 as well?

Big shock. Got the Steltek gun, Steltek Drone immediately appeared in same system.

Also, it has been kind of fun the way enemies will follow you through jump points, though it means that one needs to clean things up at some time. But I drug all sorts of people, cats, etc. trailing behind me into the spot where I found the drone and then back to Palan where they killed each other and I had a little minor clean-up to do.

I really like the way asteroids are currently handled. Unless you've a method for controlling the spawn rates and orientation of them, the game seems like it would be unmanageable with "hard" asteroids and the visual effect is stunning.

Guess I'll learn when I fight the drone.

Also need to take a break and hunt some more retros. Darn, though it makes sense suddenly why some alignments were just so hard to shift off of -100.

16 talons at once can be a firestorm. They don't split off from the herd as easily as one might like.

Though I am loving playing with the Demon.

one way to get your Repair Droid problems fixed is to apply for the version 1.1 Beta ;-)
of course this means you need to send us bug reports directly, etc... check the stickied post for directions

we cap goodness at 100%

hellcatv said:
one way to get your Repair Droid problems fixed is to apply for the version 1.1 Beta ;-)
of course this means you need to send us bug reports directly, etc... check the stickied post for directions

we cap goodness at 100%

Darn, you can't do what I used to do and build up a huge reserve of it by killing only retros as you work your way up to enough cash to begin the plot.

I like to "save up" "goodness" to carry me through so I don't have to take a break from the plot.

Making Repair Work
The variable which controls how fast the repair bot works is "RepairDroidTime".

In vegastrike.config you will find <var name="RepairDroidTime" value="240"/>

I think 240 might be too slow though.

RepairDroidTime is relative to simulation_atom. simulation_atom ranges from 0.06 ( > 1000 Mhz ) to 0.15 ( 100 Mhz).

The calculation that occurs is

workunit = simulation_atom / RepairDroidTime

workunit is the probability that a repair will be done in a simulation cycle

So if you want really want repairs to happen quickly change the line to

<var name="RepairDroidTime" value="0.06"/>

This value can be used for debugging purposes to ensure you that the repair system is working, but it probably is too fast. You might want to make it some multiple of that, perhaps 0.6 or 1.

Someone else had suggested that the variable name was repair_droid_time, but this appears to be incorrect. Someone else also suggested changing the value to 30 but I suggest that this is still too large.

Remember that the repair system does not repair armor or hull damage.

I have encountered some issues where devices that are only slightly damanged will not get completely repaired.

To discover this information, I looked in the source in vegastrike/src/cmd/unit_generic.cpp

Best,
Hawkeey

First of all, it's sooo great to play "Privateer" again - many thanks to all the guys who developed the remake! Fantastic!

I have (like others before) the same problems with my RepairDroid (standard model). I changed my vegastrike.config (thanks to Hawkeey for the hint).
But the result are new problems. The game doesn't react to my keyboard - for example the "r" key or the Afterburner. Joystick control is still available.

I also tried to change the vegastrike.config.temp to the same value - with the same result.

Any ideas??

After your changes the game doesn't react to your key bindings anymore? Sounds like you have done something wrong, my suggestion is you leave the config variables alone and play with the given values :D

I think, I'm not that stupid ;-)

In "<var name="RepairDroidTime" value="240"/>" I erased "240" and typed ".6", later I tried "0.6".

After my post I changed the value back to "240" - but the keys don't do anything.

???

Maybe something with the timestamp of the config-file?

Unregistered said:
I think, I'm not that stupid ;-)

In "<var name="RepairDroidTime" value="240"/>" I erased "240" and typed ".6", later I tried "0.6".

After my post I changed the value back to "240" - but the keys don't do anything.

???

Maybe something with the timestamp of the config-file?

OK, I solved the problem!
It seems, that "my" Privateer don't like float values. I tried "1" instead of "240" and all works fine! The repairing is maybe a bit fast - but I play around with the value (but only integers :))

And now: let's PRIVATEER !!

Back