Damnable Fralthra in SO1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Damnable Fralthra. Ive finally gotten the hang of those damn Gothri. Damnable useless wingmen, they kill me as much as the kats. help with Fralthra? anyone?

Usually my tactic for taking out an enemy destroyer or cruiser in WC2 or SO1 and 2 is to destroy any fighter cover, preferably outside the range of the cruisers flack cannons, and then target and lock onto the cruiser fly to about 11000 klicks from your target because the flack can only hit you from about 10000 and closer, then stop, let your torps lock on, and hit full speed and release torps at a range of about 2500. This was always my tactic when facing capitol ships in WC2. I havnt played SO1 ina long long time, so I dont know if there any mission specific elements I may be missing. Hope it helps.

Remember if you are in a Sabre, afterburn into your target, but dont forget to peel offin time, that damned afterburner slide will get you. If in a broadsword or crossbow (cant remember if the cross had afterburners, but I dont think it did.) just hit full speed and chug in, your sheilds should be able to take the beating.

If you're at the last mission, that one is just plain hard, especially in that godawful Sabre. Remember, Hobbes is really a traitor so that's probably the reason he's blasting you.

McGruff said:
Remember, Hobbes is really a traitor so that's probably the reason he's blasting you.
Remember, Hobbes doesn't know that he is a traitor yet (aside from the betraying he did to get on your wing).

And I've found Bear's far more likely to plant a torpedo up your tailpipe than Hobbes in that mission.

SabreAce said:
And I've found Bear's far more likely to plant a torpedo up your tailpipe than Hobbes in that mission.

That, and running into me. I'm currently fighting through the last one (for the first time), and I don't know how many times they've run into me. I've run into Hobbes or Bear a few times, too, but I wonder how they managed to pass flight school.

Any more ideas on those Fralthra? In many, many times playing this mission, of which I've managed to take out the fighters probably only half a dozen times (although I switched to a new DosBox with dynamic core, and so my frame rate is now much smoother, which has helped), I've gotten exactly one (1) torpedo off, and it missed. I keep getting blasted by the AMGs. I've also intentionally failed the mission to see if the losing mission is any easier, but if I can't even get a single torpedo off, it doesn't help. (And, that save now crashes the newer DosBox.)

What is the big plot development at the end of SO1? Too much more frustration, and I'm just going to give up and move on to SO2. Or, is there any sort of hack out there so I can fly a Broadsword in this one?

Thanks,

Valkyrie386

Whew...don't think you want a broadsword in that one...those fighters would eat you alive...anyone know how to get sound for WC 2 using MyJemm?

I thought Myjemm was useful for loading Privateer and Armada. I don´t know if it works for WC2

It would work but I can't get it installed...I would up using my Kilrathi Saga version of WC2 but for some reason I get no music? I have sound for the guns and afterburners and such but nothing for music...weird.

Valkyrie386 said:
What is the big plot development at the end of SO1? Too much more frustration, and I'm just going to give up and move on to SO2. Or, is there any sort of hack out there so I can fly a Broadsword in this one?

Without giving too much away, at the end of SO1, you find out that Thrakhath is really Blair's father when he offers to join forces and overthrow the Emperor.

Don't give up on the mission, we all managed to beat it - eventually. Just put on your comfy slippers, get all liquored up, call in sick the next day, and spend the night obsessively clicking "replay mission".

Tactics:
1. Engage fighters until they are gone. This requires some good flying.
2. Place yourself between the cruisers. Notice they are firing antimatter cannons, which are capable of detroying other capital ships. They are absolute murder on fighters, so be alert.
3. Put one cruiser directly behind you and fly towards the other.
4. At the sound of an antimatter cannon firing, dodge. The cruisers will hit each other.
5. Repeat until one cruiser is destroyed.
6. Order all remaining wingmen to attack the remaining cruiser. Make sure to attack from a different angle than a wingman, since antimatter cannons only fire in one direction at a time.
7. Mission accomplished, return to base.

It's not easy, but it works. Sometimes, the flying between the cruisers trick will be enough to dust them both. Make sure to give yourself enough time away to let your shields recharge, or their flak cannons will chew you to pieces.

nice way to use the stupidity of kat gunners to your advantage and let them blow the shit out of each other.

This is one of the few missions where you are actually able to use this trick, as multiple enemy capship encounters at the same nav point are rare in wc3 (I can think of one nav with 2 vettes and a light destroyer in an asteroid field forget what missions though, probably one of the Delius ones)

McGruff said:
Without giving too much away, at the end of SO1, you find out that Thrakhath is really Blair's father when he offers to join forces and overthrow the Emperor.

Don't give up on the mission, we all managed to beat it - eventually. Just put on your comfy slippers, get all liquored up, call in sick the next day, and spend the night obsessively clicking "replay mission".

Hah. Very funny. ;)

I actually, shall we say, "proved by analysis that I can beat the mission." I started playing it again now that my frustration has died down after a week or so away and a few SO2 missions, and got to the point where I was making torpedo runs with some regularity. With the F9 suggestion, I was doing much better. While it may be a bit lame, I can justify it to myself by saying that the targeting system should have a way for the pilot to dial in a target manually if the computer isn't able yet to come up with a lock. Plus, I would think that any torpedo weapon like this would "in reality" have a dumb fire option at short range, although this might make it too easy.

I almost won once, but stayed in AB an instant too long and hit the second Fralthra as I was releasing a torpedo. (What can I say- I guess I'm a lame pilot!) At that point, I finally relented and searched online for the cheats that I remembered from back in the day. I ended up using the cheats to kill the fighters just to save the time, then ordered my wingmen to attack the Fralthra without my help so they'd get destroyed, like they always did for me when playing. (How do you people get them to survive? The advice here was to use them to attack the second Fralthra, then attack from the other side. For me, they always either fell to the fighters or charged off against the Fralthra while I was setting up for a lock.) Then, after a couple of tries, I did end up successfully taking out the Fralthra with torpedos. I wussed out a little bit, but, I know I COULD have done it with a couple more hours, which I now have free to play SO2, or X-Wing, or something on the PS2.

BTW, no one mentioned the tactic of steering right between the AMG bolts to evade them- at far range, it worked rather well for me. They pass on either side, and there's no problem with losing lock.

Valkyrie386 said:
While it may be a bit lame, I can justify it to myself by saying that the targeting system should have a way for the pilot to dial in a target manually if the computer isn't able yet to come up with a lock. Plus, I would think that any torpedo weapon like this would "in reality" have a dumb fire option at short range, although this might make it too easy.

The thing about torpedo locks is that the lock time has nothing to do with actually targeting the vessel. What takes the torpedo so long to lock is that the torpedo must analyze and then match the target's shield frequency pattern so that it can slip past the shields.

Ijuin said:
The thing about torpedo locks is that the lock time has nothing to do with actually targeting the vessel. What takes the torpedo so long to lock is that the torpedo must analyze and then match the target's shield frequency pattern so that it can slip past the shields.

That makes sense. And it does serve to keep it from being too easy and make it reminiscent of WWII dive bombers or torpedo aircraft.

Yes, truly a noteworthy post. Please continue to search around the forum graveyard and bring up anything you feel of note. We don't mind whatsoever...

F4U Corsair said:
No I resurected it for your MOMMA! :mad:

You really really need to learn the value of having more than one stupid ass remark in your posts. I just read all the new posts today and half of them were dumbass things like this that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Once in a while when appropiate these lines maybe funny but right now all you are doing is making people mad. Don't be a jerkass....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back