Damage to weapons?

overmortal said:
There's an old wwII game called Aces Over the Pacific . . . and another one just like it called Aces Over Europe. Play those if you like sniping cockpits. It works!
IIRC, it works in European Air War too, which was the last good flight sim I've played (didn't get a chance to try out IL-RussianName :p).

My favorite oldie was Pacific Air War, too. :)

I had the aces game, I played a lot of aces of the pacific. I think that on Red Baron, also by Dynamix, you could hit directly the pilot, or at least be wounded. The screen would go red from time to time.

Hmm, really? I've never noticed that in Red Baron, but I haven't played it properly for a long time... I seem to recall the red screen thing happening, but I thought those were just red-outs.

I think it was just red outs. It might have also flashed red if you took a round but I'm pretty sure you just died.

One of the funniest experiences of getting shot in the cockpit came from an old mac game (not sure if they made it for PC, but I don't think so) called Hellcats over the Pacific, and Hellcats over Leyte Gulf. If you got shot you'd hear this odd "Uhhoohh" sound then the fighter would veer off to one side and head into a dive until you crashed.

I played some odd game . . I think it was called Fighter Duel . . . if you maneuvered too hard in your wwII craft, you'd go into a bloody flat spin. Dependably. Push the stick past a certain point, and you'd spin out and crash. That game sucked, really really bad.

Was that the one where you could take a Spitfire up against an F-16 or something? :D

In Chuck Yeager's Air Combat you could take a FW-190 up against B-52s, MIGs and F-4s. One of the best earlier flight sims...

I remember it, it was quite good. Hey, the game would even give some analysis of any random fighters you choose to compare. It was very cool.

Dundradal said:
In Chuck Yeager's Air Combat you could take a FW-190 up against B-52s, MIGs and F-4s. One of the best earlier flight sims...
Wow, I remember playing that before I managed to work out Strike Commander. I found it funny to point the nose to the ground at 50000 feet and 'land' on my wheels upon hitting the ground. The "easy landing" option was hilarious. :)

Oh yeah. I used to love being an F-86 and going against like 10 MIG-15s and waiting for them to run low on fuel and land, then I would just strafe them on the runway...:)

Man... I think everyone in the world has a copy of Chuck Yeager. That game was distributed in every collection imaginable for several years. I think I had three copies of it at one point.

Haha, I remember Falcon 4.0 what a wild game. Only game I had to remember what ctrl + alt + shift + tab + 4 + G + etc. did. I do remember one time I landed flat on my engine. When I came to a stop my nose was pointed straight up like a rocket...I was like, "And this is supposed to be a realistic simulator???"

Back