Dail-up!!

Iceblade

Admiral
*I am warning you ahead of time this is a severe rant and please don't read it if you are squeash about curses!!*

Okay, so I'm at my computer through most of the day while Standoff downloads, and low and behold it reaches 93%. I go to watch a movie with my family, which is interrupted by a show we normally watch--"Are You Being Served?." Then I am about to leave when my dad reminds me about the movie, so I sit back down and finish.

All right, I go back to my machine and turn on the moniter. I have XP and it is at the accounts screen and I go back into my account to find it actually logged OUT! This I didn't like because that would mean my computer restarted for some G**-DA*N Reason UNKNOWN TO ME. I am fine with it, I mean no harm no fowl.

And it is actting extremely sluggish and I shut it down and give it a cold boot. Then I return and remember Standoff. I open up the folder and search for several minutes to no avail. This started to get me really worried. IT WAS AT 93%, so it should have completed. WELL, HEELLLL!!!! NOOOO!!!!! I do a search and it obviously turned up nothing and since I shut it down, its F***ING BUFFERS WERE COMPLETELY CLEAN!!

Needless to say, I blew and am still blowing ever DAWN PLUG IN ME!!!!

Just to clarify this totally irrational behavior over 6-7 hours wasted; my computer is a F***ING PIECE OF HOLY S**T!! It all started when I tried to transfer the data from my old machine to the new one just about a month after I got it. A week or so later and it has a COMPLETE and TOTAL CRASH OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!! After that, it was fine-although a few programs short including those installed after the machine was built. It is a Dell and supposed to be really relible. It was, but there after it has only been one severe PAIN IN THE F***ING A**!!! The mouse is totally screwed up when I boot the machine up and takes a little doing to get working right--and YES I HAVE TRIED NEW DRIVERS and that does nothing--yet this is just a small inconvience. I have had numerous crashes and failures out of this hunk of JUNK. If it is not one thing it is another every few weeks. This is why I can't stand it at all when it does something stupid. ESPECIALLY NOW WITH TEN TIMES BETTER VIRUS PROTECTION FROM McAfee. So, I explode very easily at something that is supposed to be better than any other brand of machine--like my old one which was just too slow and a little outdated.

*Rant complete*

I feel much better now, thank you.

Man, I've never tried downloading anything more than 20 MB without some sort of download program...

Can't say much about Dell either - I bought my generic computer system last March for around AUD 1200. No problems.

I had a couple of dodgy mouse installation once in the past - wonder if these instructions help?
**WARNING** Although it worked for my friends computer, it didn't work for me and I had to reinstall with a drivers disk.

Right-click once on "My Computer"
Select the "Hardware" tab
Select the "Device Manager"
Find "Mice and other pointing devices"
Right-click once on your mouse driver
Select 'uninstall' - I think at this point, your mouse will disappear
Unplug the mouse.
Now, can either reboot the machine (shutdown winXP and startup again) and then plug the mouse in and let 'plug and play' install it or just plug the mouse back in and see if that works.

As for downloading with dial-up - erm, I give up on anything above 5Mb :)
Perhaps some kind soul nearby could burn the Standoff download to CD and post it to you?

My entire house is networked, you must understand this.
Back when we had dial up our server was a AMD k62 and it had an ISA modem in it, that bad boy connected at 115ks every time. It was a 56k modem that conntected well oker 56k. Well that computer is no longer being used, (board band router and our file server is athlon 1800 now) but I have that modem in a static bag in my room.
I've had my computer lose its conntection at about 98% once, it sucked bad. I have pitty for you, maybe your connection setting is set to shut down after being idle for so long (and downloading doesn't count as being active)

Iceblade said:
I have XP and it is at the accounts screen and I go back into my account to find it actually logged OUT! This I didn't like because that would mean my computer restarted for some G**-DA*N Reason UNKNOWN TO ME.

Wrong. XP simply did the Switch Users logout option automatically in case you had any sort of sensitive data or anything that you didn't want anyone to see or use in your account. All your programs continued to run in the background while the Switch Users option was performed.

No, it restarted without my knowledge. For some reason the computer has a nervous breakdown and overload whenever it is left on for long periods of time whilst being used throughout. I think my McAfee virus scanner is the culprit. I have it set to activate like at 8PM every night or every other night. This probably was too much for my machine to handle, and the operating system restarted to save itself. I just wish I had known that it didn't complete so I could of logged back on-line and finished the download. I don't know for sure, though, if a restart clears downloaded info. I don't think it does. Oh welp, nothing can be done about that know.

TransAm said:
...that bad boy connected at 115ks every time.
That's just what the default driver says when it cannot determine what the connection speed is. No 56k modem can connect at over 56k. ;)

Nomad Terror said:
XP simply did the Switch Users logout option automatically in case you had any sort of sensitive data or anything that you didn't want anyone to see or use in your account.
I wasn't aware that anything of the sort happens unless you set it up to do so. I just let my screensaver lock access to my comp after periods of no user input.

Iceblade said:
I think my McAfee virus scanner is the culprit. I have it set to activate like at 8PM every night or every other night.
I hate automated scanning. It frustrates me no end at work.

Oh I know it really didn't conntect at 115k but she sure was fast, at church they use the same isp we used to and they surf and download so much slower than we used to (really do now as we've got cable now).

Ive owened two Dells. The first was a 320sx that rocked my socks back in... 1993. And now I have a Dell L800r thats a couple of years old. Ive never had a serious problem with them - though that godawful crash last fall was from WinME, the bane of my existence.

You know, you might want to do a virus and spyware scan (yes, you *can* get infected over dialup).And make sure the XP firewall is enabled. This is the usual cause of extreme sluggishness, and remember, the time to infection is only 3-5 minutes for Windows - it's a lot lower for a dialup link, but yes, you can get infected on a modem.

Of course, not using IE helps as well - especially with the 4 new vulnerabiliies that affect IE even with XP SP2.

I think it's also advisable to keep up with updates. As inconvenient as it might be, it's vital to keeping all but the most determined crackers out.

Haha, "Are You Being Served?" Classic show...I love it. Sorry bout the PC problems...I suggest you drop the dial up and go either cable or DSL...once you go high speed...you never go back.

Maj.Striker said:
once you go high speed...you never go back.

yes, you do. if you move to a place where DSL Cable and other high speed internet connections are folklore, you get used to dial-up pretty soon.

Back