D3D in WCP/SOPS

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hello there!
I recently outfitted my system with an Elsa Erazor X. Now I have to play WCP and SOPS with Direct3D. Is there a way that I can avoid that my white navcross on the viewscreen disappears? Or that when I fly the Piranha and use the Stormfire I do not get a target reticule. Can someone help? I downloaded the D3D patch for WCP but it did not fix the problem (it was not supposed to do it anyway). And I had the impression that WCP looks better than SOPS in Direct3D. Is it just me or has anyone else also thought so?

Thanks in advance.

I copped a bad one when I lost the reticle too. I thought it was just cos of my cheap video card.

But you did not solve the problem, did you? Is it possible that with D3D you just do nbot get a reticule/nav cross? Seems strange, after all they are not that impressive graphics...<g>

D3D is not the best stuff around to play games in, at least thats my opinion. I've played FIFA'98 in D3D, and sometimes you just don't see things (the corner of a goal was gone...). Maybe D3D has some problems displaying graphs...

The problem is that older games (including FS2) who were supposed to work with 3dfx now look quite bad with D3D.

When I played FS2 with my GeForce it surely looked worse (and was slower) than on the slower PC of my brother with a Voodoo3.

When I played it on the higher gpahic levels it became unbearable and that although I own a Athlon-800 with 256 MB RAM and that GeForce.
My brother has a PIII 450 with 192 MB RAM and the Voodoo3 and he never had any problems to play FS2 with full details.

Not GeForce 2, GeForce 256 but I think that would not make that much of a difference. But, no, I am not sure anymore if I selected it, it has been quite some time. So, you say with D3D it looks wonderful? Strange, strange. Next time I install FS2, I will try it.
But nobody knows if it is possible to get navcross/reticule in WCP/SOPS with D3D?

I just installed FS2 and the graphics are fine but now my sound is messed up! :( Anyway, you were right, Silent Warrior, it works great with D3D. I do not know why I had the memory that it looked bad...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
But nobody knows if it is possible to get navcross/reticle in WCP/SOPS with D3D?
Live without it. IIRC, you only lose the reticle with the stormfire. No big loss.

It seems as I will have to live without it indeed. Not a big loss that's true but a loss nevertheless ( I always liked to point my ship towards the next navpoint before autopiloting <g>). Also it just seems so strange that D3D cannot display that stupid white cross. And some other reticules, while not disappearing, are messed up a little. But oh man, you're probably right, I will just accept it.

Reticles

Anyway, I have a bad habit of pointing to the next navpoint too, so I just do the best I can, judging from the white pointer on the radar. Must come from WC1/2 days. :)

Hmm, my dictionary says "reticule"... or do you mean testicle ? ;)

And yes, it just seems wrong to activitate the autopilot while pointing at the wrong direction.
Ah, those were great days when you actually had to close within 1000klicks of the navpoints...

That's strange. My dictionary says "reticule": a) "Arbeitsbeutel" (Workbag) and b) "Fadenkreuz" (reticle/reticule). You are sure that "reticle" isn't perhaps Australian slang? :)
I have to admit thought, that it is an old dictionary (1956) but it never let me down, till now.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-31-2001 at 15:08]

Sorry, but I was away for some time.
So, when you looked it up in an American dictionary, what did you find? (I am afraid I did not understand what you meant with your last post :confused: )

Don't worry, it's only trivial. It's just that when certain words are used regularly in our context of conversation, and they're constantly misspelled, I get a little frustrated.

It is reticle.

So my dictionary is suffering from old age...
Reticle, okay.

(BTW: I can assure you that "reticule" was no misspelling for my part. I just trusted my dictionary... :) )

Hi Mekt,

While I have not had the disappearing reticle problem with WC, I did have it with Rogue Spear.

I was using a Matrox G400max instead of my voodoos at the time. (I still have both in.)

All I needed was to update my video drivers for the G400. If nothing else works, I guess it`s worth a try.

Cheers

Back