CZers Get First Dibs

Thanks Bandit. You're cool as usual. I apologise for not wishing you for your B-day yesterday. It was mostly due to timezones... you weren't online when I logged into #wingnut.

PPro (a d3wd from stupid NZ) out

Great! Now can someone point me to a WORKING DivX codec download? None that I've dowwnloaded via CIC seem to work for these movies....

Hey Jumpstart, good to see you're still alive. :)

I'm not sure about a working codec -- that one worked fine for me some months ago. I'll look into it...

The extended landing scenes are only from the 3DO version -- they were put in because the 3DO doesn't have fly-through carrier bays... you start off in space.

Thanks LOAF!

To be honest, I was more than a little surprised when I saw the download sizes...fresh off the Acadamy sizes (which would, at sixty megs and at a constant rate of 33 kbs, would take about...oh, two and a half days :)). Then again, I'm not completely sure what DivX is anyway...

Ever wonder what "MPEG" means? I never did, but...

Jeeves told me anyway:

Short for Moving Picture Experts Group, and pronounced m-peg, a working group of ISO. The term also refers to the family of digital video compression standards and file formats developed by the group. MPEG generally produces better-quality video than competing formats, such as Video for Windows, Indeo and QuickTime. MPEG files can be decoded by special hardware or by software.

MPEG achieves high compression rate by storing only the changes from one frame to another, instead of each entire frame. The video information is then encoded using a technique called DCT. MPEG uses a type of lossy compression, since some data is removed. But the diminishment of data is generally imperceptible to the human eye.

There are two major MPEG standards: MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. The most common implementations of the MPEG-1 standard provide a video resolution of 352-by-240 at 30 frames per second (fps). This produces video quality slightly below the quality of conventional VCR videos.

A newer standard, MPEG-2, offers resolutions of 720x480 and 1280x720 at 60 fps, with full CD-quality audio. This is sufficient for all the major TV standards, including NTSC, and even HDTV. MPEG-2 is used by DVD-ROMs. MPEG-2 can compress a 2 hour video into a few gigabytes. While decompressing an MPEG-2 data stream requires only modest computing power, encoding video in MPEG-2 format requires significantly more processing power.

The ISO standards body is currently working on a new version of MPEG called MPEG-4 (there is no MPEG-3). MPEG-4 will be based on the QuickTime file format.

Well, these movies are much smaller because they're much sorter -- a minute or so versus 22 minute WCA episodes.

There is a MPEG-3. It's what those MP3 files are encoded in, but this is a misnomer as MP3 actually stands for "MPEG 1 Layer 3"

Originally posted by Meson
There is a MPEG-3. It's what those MP3 files are encoded in, but this is a misnomer as MP3 actually stands for "MPEG 1 Layer 3"

So there is no MPEG-3.

Originally posted by wcwraith
mpeg stands for motion jpeg

No, MPEG stands for Moving Picture Experts Group. JPEG, according to the JPEG homepage at http://www.jpeg.org/public/jpeghomepage.htm means:

JPEG is short for the 'Joint Photographic Experts Group'. This was (and is) a group of experts nominated by national standards bodies and major companies to work to produce standards for continuous tone image coding. The 'joint' refers to its status as a committee working on both ISO and ITU-T standards. The 'official' title of the committee is ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 Working Group 1, and is responsible for both JPEG and JBIG standards.

So by your definition, MPEG would mean Moving Joint Photographic Experts Group. Which makes no sense.

Back