curious

Hobbie

Spaceman
Just wondering how come using MyJemm with Privateer in XP with compatibility mode set to Win9x/Me doesn't work. I know it doesn't, but it seems odd that it doesn't. Common sense would dictate that since the compatibility sets it up like the old OS that MyJemm should work then. Does anyone know why it doesn't work? Maybe that could lead to a solution.

Hobbie said:
Just wondering how come using MyJemm with Privateer in XP with compatibility mode set to Win9x/Me doesn't work. I know it doesn't, but it seems odd that it doesn't. Common sense would dictate that since the compatibility sets it up like the old OS that MyJemm should work then. Does anyone know why it doesn't work? Maybe that could lead to a solution.

Win9x and ME are running on top of DOS.
NT, 2000 and XP emulate dos inside of Windows.

When it comes to memory emulation and driver remapping this is a big difference.

And sadly, we won´t be seeing a MyJemm for XP, NT and 2000 anytime soon. At least not from the guy who did the original MyJemm. According to him, that would imply a complete reprogramming of MyJemm.

Just throwing something out here, but I'm willing to bet that a collection might be taken up as say a "Prize" to "Donate" ;) to the first one to get a working solution to running older games like maybe ehh ummm Privateer and or that other one Armada in WinXP. As well as any others that would fit in that little jemm catagory. This way they would not be selling a product just winning a door prize where the price of admission is a utility. Of course they would post their code to a non biased person who could read it and if it drws upon MyJemm then that author (the MyJemm one, don't recall a name) would recieve half the prize for doing the groundwork. I would put money in even though I don't need it. Any ideas?
Jim

Eh . . sounds complicated. I run Privateer in win 98 by using "Dos mode for games with EMS support" or whatever its called. Works like a charm, and the sound is great.

No . . . somewhere (and I don't remember exactly where I found it) I came across a dos mode designed for games that require EMS and XMS support. It worked perfectly on my win 98 machine. Sadly, I've lost that mode because of my computer forgetting things. If I find another copy of that mode, I'll upload it to the Over Mortal website for all of you to download. It worked PEFRECTLY, I kid you not!

IIRC the "DOS mode" was just a fancy way of saying "Reboot the computer and don't start Windows"; because Windows 9x is really just a DOS with a GUI* (Windows) on top. It's an option you can set in the PIFs (shortcuts to DOS applications).

There is an easier way to have the computer run in pure DOS when you have Win9x... at startup hit F8 and select "Command prompt only". If you configure your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT correctly, you should be able to run most DOS games without ever using a boot disk.

There is also a way to never start Windows at startup. Edit the MSDOS.SYS file. There should be a line like "BootGUI=1", (add it if it's not there) replace the 1 for 0. Next time you'll reboot, it will not start Windows but leave you at the DOS prompt. To start windows, type "win".

PopsiclePete said:
To start windows, type "win".

Ahh . . that brings back memories of 3.1 . . .

Back when Windows 95 was first appearing on the scene, myself and a few fellow gamers realized that Microsoft would royally screw up our abilities to play the best games (Privateer, Pirates Gold, Jagged Alliance, Worms, etc etc). In defiance, we formed an anti-win95 cult called the "Dosketeers". Of course, eventually, we couldn't run any new games, either, so we all eventually had to give in and get a 9x operating system . . . but don't be fooled into thinking that we enjoyed it. Or that, if they created a newer, better MS-Dos (command prompt interface) that we wouldn't abandon all stakes in Win 9x and beyond.

Wow . . what a rant, huh?

Well, when Win95 got out I hated it too, mainly because it was so horrifyingly hard to setup with the hardware we had at the time. The new "Plug and Pray" system Win95 had was a nightmare at the time. Had you have a single pre-"Plug-and-Pray" hardware device in your system many other devices would have problems like dominos.

At the time every PC user knew how to fix these in DOS... just manually attribute an IRQ and memory space (and maybe DMA) for each of your devices and you were set. How frustrating ot was for us when Win95 tried (unsuccesfully) to set all the parameters automaticly ! Worse: most windows drivers wouldn't even let you force manual settings and those who would let you only choose from a limited number of choices - the same than the other pieces of hardware you already tried to set. Argh !

Fortunately with time new hardware came and with new hardware Plug-and-Play actually became usefull.

As for gaming, I've never had any problems running any of my DOS games with Win95, since Win95 actually is a DOS. Just follow the instructions of my previous post.

To run any DOS program in XP, you need to install a virtual machine. There are several around the net. DO a search.

Still, it doesn't enable the use of USB joysticks, and often times the sound will not work on virtual machines. If we could find one that allowed for sound and a joystick consistently, then there wouldn't be a need for all of these other ideas and programs.

There was one, but it was bought out by Microsoft. No idea what they are doing with it, but the last press release I read on it said that they are thinking of adding it to Windows itself.

Ah, they'll probably screw it up. Leave it to Microsoft to screw stuff up. I bet Halo 2 will suck. Halo was a big sucess, and a very cool game, so, obviously, Microsoft now needs to screw it up. Am I right?

Back