Crusader - Wing Commander Connection?

WildWeasel

Spaceman
I've been doing some reading over at www.secretops.com. In the various documents that they offer, there are several references to the W.E.C. This could be the same W.E.C. from No Remorse and No Regret. Does Crusader and Wing Commander exist in the same universe?

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

Yeah, I noticed the similar name thing, too. But it's most likely a coincidence, or No Regret would be notably called a prequel to WC, which it isn't.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well, we know that there's also a mention of the Kilrathi being in Ultima. Are there any other ORIGIN games that are somehow tied in?

------------------

The mentioning of the Kilrathi in Ultima is an easter egg, I believe, while the WEC in No Regret/Remorse is a major part of the game, but I could be wrong.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I know that. I was just suggesting that ORIGIN may have somehow connected every one of it's games.

------------------

The WEC was most definitely a very big part of the Crusader plot. You spend the whole series fighting them
wink.gif

As for the SO mention... on the one hand, technology differences between two games (teleporters, et cetera) seem to indicate that it was just an easter egg.

On the other hand though, even if it's an easter egg, it's canon.
biggrin.gif
Which doesn't mean that there is a connection between Crusader and Wing Commander. As noted above, technology seems to preclude that possibility. But, what it could mean is that the basic plot for Crusader is a part of WC history, though a lot of the details are different.

And if this is the Ultima mention of the Kilrathi that you talk about, then you might want to keep in mind that this happened on April 1st. There is a detailed report about this in the CIC's April 2nd 1999 news update.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's not it. There was some data in PC Gamer about a possible connection in the first Ultima. It said that the aliens might have been the Kilrathi.

------------------

Origin games are full of references to eachother... but Origin has stated that these are just in-jokes, not attempts at a 'cross over'.

Examples include...

- The Bloodfang in the field in Ultima VII.
- The reference to SHODAN & the System Shock plot in Victory Streak (as one of the holo-vids)... the 3DO version of Victory Streak even has a System Shock screenshot.
- Various systems on the map and in Armada...
- The word 'Kilrathi' scrambled on the wall in UW.
- The Kilrathi April Fools joke at owo.com a while back.
- The WEC references in SO.

As well as lots of references to Origin stuff... General Snell, for instance.

Hehe, if Quarto can claim for himself that priv2 isn't part of WC than I can claim for myself that Crusader is part of WC
smile.gif

I shall now explain the tech difference solution: during all those plagues mankind suffered and wich quarantened them on earth and the pilgrims got their "We're-so-great"-idea (I'm working from memory from the confed handbook here) mankind was too busy surviving and all knowledge about teleporters and androids was lost.
Crusader guns: they could still be around, but were probably replaced by better and modern ones.

Ok, I know it's lame but it's my little world

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

[This message has been edited by No Regret (edited July 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by No Regret (edited July 07, 2000).]

Here we go with that again...

------------------

No, Quarto being an idiot does not automatically grant you all idiot-licenses.
smile.gif

Now hang on
smile.gif
. Acting an idiot - yes. Being an idiot - no.
smile.gif

Hey that's no fair LOAF!
How come he gets to be and idiot, and we can't?

lol... just kidding.

Origin developers have fun time putting easter eggs in all their games.

Look at the battlesuit for the Crusader. It looks distinctly like a Space Marine's battlesuit, no?

Sapce Marine? wich game might that be from?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

tongue.gif

The best example (visually) of a Space Marine Battlesuit is in the WC movie.

Don't forget the Ultima Underworld II Kilrathi reference.
tongue.gif

And now that you mentioned it, the suit from the movie really reminded me of the suit the "Silencer" used.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited July 11, 2000).]

Back