Crossovers: Your opinions?

Trev-MUN

Spaceman
... Yeah, I know I'm going into dangerous waters bringing this up, though after browsing the Fanfiction forums I couldn't help but ask.

When I was looking through one of the threads that you guys gave hell to the author of, I noticed ya'll had a severely adverse reaction to the guy's plans detailing a crossover between the WC and Starcraft universes. Now, I know that guy's thread/responses suggested that his fanfic would have been fanboy if anything, but as I noted, you guys seemed to drop onto the deck and spasm uncontrollably.

So, I'm asking the CIC group outright... What do you think of crossovers? Do you believe that there is a possibility one (between any two universes; which is why I posed this question here rather than in Fanfiction) could write an interesting one? If so, what would it take? What would need to be avoided for an effective and engaging crossover?

See, I have a soft spot for well-executed crossovers, since if a crossover is done right and isn't silly or ... well, stuffed with fanboyish elements, I feel that it can be real interesting. But this isn't about my opinion, so...

What do you think?

Crossovers are stupid fanboy crap. Jebus, save us from crossovers. Please. Or I'll eat Trev-MUN. Alive.

I have to agree with Lynx. The only time I ever considered crossovers was in my pre-teen years. And now that I'm older and wiser I have to say any sort of crossover is stupid in the 3rd degree.

The problem with crossovers is that, in general, they're the absolute lowest rung of the fanfic ladder. They're assosciated with being the first thing a teenager writes when he gets into doing fanfic. Can there be good ones? Sure - but you're going to have to sift through three thousand "WHAT IF LIZZIE MAGUIRE MET STAR WARS????LOL!"s to find one that's even passable.

(Incidentally, the first Star Trek/X-Men comic was actually very nice... the TNG one and the novel weren't great, though. WC itself has had a very low key crossover (on WCA) and a number of tonge-in-cheek ones with various other Origin franchises.)

Speaking as one of the more experienced fanfic writers still around on the CIC, chances are the stigma of writing bad fanfic, especially a crossover fanfic, is going to stick with you for life (well not real life, but your virtual online WC fan community "life"). It has happened before, and it's not the first time nor the last.

I really don't feel like saying more as the last person who proposed it here pulled out the "Difference of Opinion" get-out-of-jail card and got away scot free. But a picture (ok . . . a modified Ted Rall comic), is worth a thousand words.

crossover.JPG

I suspect that his name, as well as his stupid stunts, will be ultimately short-lived beyond the bitter/sweet memories of those who laughed uncontrollably at his nincompoopery. Those of us who were here to see it first-hand might regale a few newbies with tales of an idiot and his glowmissiles, black fuel, and dragoncock pie, but, in the end, the stories will stop being told and Joshua, like every other person who has been shamed off of the CZ, will vanish from the universe.

Bwah. Eh, 'ell, Bandit LOAF put it more eloquently than me... sums up pretty much how I feel. Crossovers - that is, if they're going to be any good - are an extremely difficult challenge and require a lot of thought to pull off right. I think it can be done, if a person cares enough to study the universes he's bringing together. Most people don't care, so many stories are just plain crap, like LOAF said.

I think it's a bit unfair, though, to say all crossovers are pre-teen fanboy crap; after all, comic book universes do their own crossovers, and though I don't really know how well it was recieved, Star Trek Generations is one too.

Anyway... I really don't want to end up like Joshua, so I guess I'll dummy up and not discuss the point further ... or try not to, anyway.

As for Joshua's "legacy," something tells me you guys will wind up making 'WWGWD' last for a little while, at least. Kind of like AYABABTU.

If you are going to make a crossover, do this if nothing else, put the TCS Washington in your story! I mean, it's mentioned in the Kilrathi Saga manual, and we can't neglect anything named after good ol' George Washington. We can make it the CIC flagship too :D

tcswashington.JPG

Somebody please 'splain to us what the deal is with all the Geo. Washington references of late...?
(or as I like to call him, "The ORIGINAL G. Dubbs"...)

Preacher, good to see you back.

Search for all posts by a guy named "Joshua". Your answers will be answered, and your rejoicing will be great.

I think one of the only good crossovers I ever saw was alien vs predator. Some of the DC/Marvel stuff was alright, but that is not really a jump.

Kinda seems like the few good crossovers get overshadowed by the preteen stuff, Pokemon vs Star Wars, or Voltron and Wing Commander. (Just let them live in there only little world and pity them)

BlackJack2063 said:
I think one of the only good crossovers I ever saw was alien vs predator.

I don't know if you can really call that a crossover. In the second predator movie, when it shows the trophy case of skulls on the space ship, there is an alien's skull. It could have just been a re-use of props, but even so that implies that the two species have met "officially" prior to the AvP stuff. In such a case as that, I wouldn't think of it so much as a crossover, but rather an exploration into the established.

Trev-MUN said:
and though I don't really know how well it was recieved, Star Trek Generations is one too.

Star Trek Generations (I'm assuming you're refering to the movie since I know of nothing else by the name) is NOT a crossover. Everything is based on the same Star Trek universe on the same Star Trek timeline. A crossover is when you take two *different* universes and merge them.

Back