Crazy Nazi Kitten Impaler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 4 ways to get an Avatar here.
1) you are one of the staff... So, not likely that anyone currently without one will get it through this.
2) you are some one of great importance to the community... If you really post around talking about how bad you want an avatar, it is quite unlikely that you fall in this category.
3) be a regular, hang around for a long time and post frequently, with a low incidence of dumbness.... when you reach 2000, you get the right to pick an avatar... Most people got their's this way
4) be very stupid or quirky or indignant. You wouldn't really WANT this avatar... It will probably mock you, and you'll have no choice on it or on disabling it. We have a few examples around. But after this thread, it is possible that avatar hungry people may start posting outrageously idiotic posts hoping to get an avatar. So it will probably be a closed option.

And finally, the secret option: you may play any ultima game from the 4th onward, then you'll get to BE the avatar.

Edfilho said:
4) be very stupid or quirky or indignant. You wouldn't really WANT this avatar... It will probably mock you, and you'll have no choice on it or on disabling it. We have a few examples around. But after this thread, it is possible that avatar hungry people may start posting outrageously idiotic posts hoping to get an avatar. So it will probably be a closed option.

Aditionally, if it's sufficiently obnoxious, we may interpret it as falling afoul of rule 10, as the basis of a ban, if the mood strikes us to do so.

10) The CIC may have more server space and bandwidth than an entire South American nation, but please try to be sensible with your posts. Which is not to say that you are to be serious 100% of the time - but there are limits on "silly" posts.

I see, and it makes a lot of sense. Anyway, "more server space and bandwidth than an entire South American nation" is kinda vague, for there are some pretty small and strange South American nations (i.e. Suriname...) and some pretty big and weird S-A nations (i.e. Brazil) (Btw, I'm joking, I actually like the sentence you guys used).

Maj.Striker said:
Speaking of which, just because I'm curious. How much monthly bandwidth does the CIC have? 100GB? 250GB?

[impression type="Col. Blair"]Well, I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you.[/impression]

Knock, knock.
Whose there?
Shipgate's going to get himself banned.
Shipgate's going to get himself banned who?
Shipgate's going to get himself banned for joking about the holocaust.

I don't understand. I wasn't making jokes about the holocaust or even trying to. I guess all I was trying to say is that for most people, if you let enough time go by, eventually they feel its okay to joke about anything. And if everyone around them gets offended, they might ask, "Too soon?"

Shipgate,

For many things (especially personal slights and embarassments), I'd say you are right. But the holocaust was so horrific, I don't know that jokes about it will every really be appropriate (imagine joking about the Batan Death March. I don't see that ever being appropriate, either). I am also a part of an ethnic group that a nation once tried to exterminate. I'm not bitter about it, but I don't really feel a lot of humor in jokes about the extermination order that existed against us.

However, with the topic at hand, I do think the avatar is a funny characature, and should not be deemed offensive. If anything, it's a slam on Hitler, not on his victims, and I'd say Hitler still deserves some good slams.

Don't worry, I know what you were trying to say, Shipgate. No offense was intended, and none is taken. I'd just steer clear of those jokes and substitute some other humor instead.

I think enough years have gone by that we can now make jokes about Nazis, the Holocaust, and Hitler. Don't you?

hmm...NO.

Would it be okay to make jokes about 9/11 in a couple years? It's been a few years since the Oklahoma City bombing, let's joke about that, or Pearl Harbor. How about lynching jokes? Or maybe some Andrew Shepherd jokes.

I'm trying really hard not to preach, but when you make jokes about something terrible like that, then you cheapen it. There's plenty of fodder for comedy out there. I think we can have a few things sacred, can't we?

September 11th, Oklahoma City, Pearl Harbor, the concept of lynching and Andrew Shepard walk into a bar.

The bartender looks them over and says "I'm not touching this one, and also we should close this thread."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back