crashes to desktop with radeon 9700pro

Fickser

Spaceman
Hi all
Just woundering if anyone else is having this problem?
Game will crash to desktop after running for 5-10 minutes in space.
my system:
P4 3.2g
1024 ram
7900 pro radeon with latest drivers

when game crashes i will get VPU recover and game is still working on background
but minimized, if i try to maximize at that time its all garbled.
Some times it iwill completely lockup, screen will go dark and monitor will go to standby.
I am woundering if anyone else has this problem and if so how they solved it.
Thanks in advance

This is probably a GPU crash in action...

I've been having the same problem, say one out of 5 games, in PR 1pre5. Midway through a mission, after about 15 minutes, I get popped back to the desktop with an ATI error message saying that the VPU has stopped responding. The card falls back to a software-only 2D renderer and switching back to PR gives me garbled blocks on the screen, but regular sound; the game seems to be running as per usual. I also get a very ocassional lockup in X-Plane that seems to be GPU-related (sound continues for ~10 seconds after video stops moving) but those are the only two games that cause any problems.

Probably it's either bad code locking up the GPU, or just poor cooling leading to overheating and crash of the GPU. I just got done cleaning dust off the card's fan and heatsink, plus I dremelled out an air hole right over the GPU (which is right up against the side of the case in a Shuttle); looks like temps are lower but I haven't had time to try to recreate the crash yet.

I've got:
Shuttle SN45G
Barton 2500+ @200MHz FSB
512MB
Radeon 9700Pro

Anyhow, you aren't the only one.

never seen this..
I have a radeon with 4.11 Catalyst drivers.
if it says VPU crashed that's not the coder's fault that's ATI's fault--ATI has been known to make some poor drivers, especially near the release of important games (see 4.10 Catalyst drivers for an example of drivers that crash every 15 minutes).
try downloading catalyst 4.11 from the older driver section and see if that clears up trouble

I believe it's the vegastrike engine. On the vegastrike forums, ppl have complained of crashes when running the game on Radeons and other than geforce cards. It looks like the engine behaves with geforce and has a strong dislike of anything else.
Pick us a cheapy GF4 or something and see if that helps you.
PR runs flawlessly on my GF FX 5200 Ultra. :)

I also happen to have a Radeon 9800... no crashes for me.
The only major rashes of "crashes eventually" posts were right after ATI released its 4.10 drivers
once they released 4.11 it worked again--I think I downgraded to 4.9 actually
what do you folks have

Thx Hellcatv
I will give the older drivers a try...
Sixgun is right though I have tried running the remake with a geforce fx5500
and it does work flawless. Anyway I will give the older drivers a try and see what
happens.
Thx

I have the same problem. I'm using the latest ATI Omega drivers, Radeon 9700 Pro.

I had my system overclocked to 220 FSB (AMD64 2800+, K8T800, no pci/agp lock). When I set it back to 200 FSB... it worked okay. The card is probably sensitive to AGP speed of 66 Mhz.

Ok I tried the 4.9 ati drivers ,the game worked well for about 1/2 hour then the crashes started again. There is some good news though,after starting the game in a window it no longer crashed even after 3 hours of play. This may be the solution to the radeon problem. Way it no longer crashes in window mode ???? i don't know.:)

Back