Crash problem in Ep 3

U

Unregistered

Greetings, folks! Loving the game so far, though I'm starting to agree with the preview that y'all had put saying that it gets MUCH harder...haven't found a way to beat the Snakeir mission, if it's beatable at all.

Anyway, speaking of that mission, I'm having a crash problem when returning to the Firekka after that mission is over. Doesn't matter if I'm flying a Gladius or a Rapier, and whether I have zero or both wingmen still flying...when I land on the Firekka, the game crashes. Anyone else having problems with this?

Thanks much, and thanks for doing so much hard work to get this game as operational and as good as it is.

I have a similar problem (already reported it but still doesn't work) which is where I click fly and the mission loads but as soon as I get into the cockpit the game crashes (belived to be a directx problem) Is there any plans for a Glide patch as I can only play WCP,WC:SO and WC:UE on Glide while Standoff is a direct X only game?

No Glide patch, no. It would need reworking of ALL ships in the game.

scottandfiddle said:
I have a similar problem (already reported it but still doesn't work) which is where I click fly and the mission loads but as soon as I get into the cockpit the game crashes (belived to be a directx problem) Is there any plans for a Glide patch as I can only play WCP,WC:SO and WC:UE on Glide while Standoff is a direct X only game?
Ok I discovered that Direct X can't be the problem as I can run WC:UE in direct 3d mode (16 bit). I ran dxdiag and did the tests! The only problems where in direct 3d 9 tests (my video cards drivers couldn't support it but it's the most up 2 date for my card!). If WC:UE works in Direct 3D mode at 16bit why can't I play WC standoff in 16bit mode?
Thanks for your help!
p.s. My comp is 640Mhz pent 3, 128 mb of ram, about 1GB free in my HD and use a 16MB graphics card!

The graphic memory seems to be awefully low IMHO as Standoff is very texture rich. Dunno if this causes your problem of course. Did you try to play in 640x480, disabling all enhanced visibility stuff? Maybe that helps.

cff said:
The graphic memory seems to be awefully low IMHO as Standoff is very texture rich. Dunno if this causes your problem of course. Did you try to play in 640x480, disabling all enhanced visibility stuff? Maybe that helps.
Thanks cff. The cockpit struts were the problem! With them on I can't play! Thanks for your help! Pity I can't fly and see what the cockpits were like though!!!

scottandfiddle: This sounds a lot like a problem that is only supposed to happen in Glide mode. If you have time please try if the cockpit problem also applies to the Gladius.

Yes, I'd be very interested to hear if it happens in the Gladius as well - when you reach a Gladius mission, please try turning the struts back on and see if it works.

The Stiletto's cockpit was causing a problem in Glide for some reason, but I had never seen something like that in D3D mode.

Ok I flew all the ships in the simulator and had the struts on and here is the list of the ships with the problem.
Stiletto, Morningstar and the Epee.
The rest of the ships are fine and have no problem with the struts on (including the secret ships!)
Hopes this helps you in someway or another!
Ohhh is there a way I can get your Sim music for the Killrathi Guantlet? It's better than the original even though it's an updated version of the original!

That does make sense now... your card must not support textures whose resolution is higher than 256x256 (which is basically the same limitation as the Glide mode thing - the 3dfx cards as of the time WCP came out were limited to 256x256 textures).

If that is indeed the cause, I'm afraid you might have trouble in other parts of the game, since there's some more essential stuff (ie: the Hakagas) which also uses higher res textures. :(

Eder said:
That does make sense now... your card must not support textures whose resolution is higher than 256x256 (which is basically the same limitation as the Glide mode thing - the 3dfx cards as of the time WCP came out were limited to 256x256 textures).

If that is indeed the cause, I'm afraid you might have trouble in other parts of the game, since there's some more essential stuff (ie: the Hakagas) which also uses higher res textures. :(
will I be ok without the strust in the latter episodes as I have finished episodes 1-3 without the cockpits!
p.s. I did have trouble with episode 2 intro movie as it crashes after the kilrathi dialouge at the start as the ship flies past.

That's when the Hakaga should appear... so I'm afraid that you'll have that kind of crash whenever you see a ship that uses a high resolution texture. Out of curiosity, do you know what's your video card's model?

Dang, that one is limited to 256x256 textures indeed.

You might be able to play through the Hakaga missions by using some 3D-graphics-tweaking app out there to automatically downsize everything or just disable texturing for that mission, but I myself don't know well if this is possible. Anyone?

Doesn't the vision engine have an option to use lower quality textures somewhere? Could work. Or could crash/not do anything at all as it need a second texture set?

scottandfiddle said:
Ohhh is there a way I can get your Sim music for the Killrathi Guantlet? It's better than the original even though it's an updated version of the original!
You can extract it from the game using TREMAN and then convert it from MGI to WAV. We won't do this for you (although you're welcome to ask other people in the forum for help), because I don't want to get into the habit of extracting files from Standoff on request - there's just a lot of people and a lot of files out there, so there's a high risk that we'd be swamped under with requests :p.

prooblems with Snaiker mission

If I fail the mission Kilrathi fighter appear at the Firekka nav point then disappear then the game crashes.

Aren't you, by any change, the unregistered that posted the exact same thing in this thread yesterday? We heard you the first time - you don't need to report the same problem in every thread :).

Back