Couple of questions regarding the ships in Standoff

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Just a couple of quick questions regarding some of the simulator ships in Standoff.

First, why did you replace the laser cannons on the Hornet with neutron cannons? I know neutron cannons pack more punch but the lasers have a faster refire and much greater range. I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it, seems like mass drivers would make more sense than the neutron guns.

Second, was the Scimitar not included because it was too old or some other reason? (I only ask because I know Eder had a model already made from UE).

Third, why did you mount torpedoes on some of the ships for the two gauntlets? Was it not possible to make a purely missile loadout? (The extra missiles would come in handy :) ).

Ok, won't ask again about the whole Raptor gun firing arc thing. :(

Let me close with saying what a fine job you've all done with this mod, fantastic work!

Maj.Striker said:
First, why did you replace the laser cannons on the Hornet with neutron cannons?
I wasn't gonna keep the lasers no matter what, because the Hornet will be the Landreich's only ship in the game, and they needed to at least be able to look like they're dealing some damage. Since they only show up later in the game, when the battles are going to be pretty big, I figured that the short-range but high-power neutrons wouldn't be a bad choice. It's not like they're supposed to live thru the mission anyway, they just gotta show off a few kills at the start. :p

Also, it's hard enough to hit with the Hornet's guns... so, you know, gotta make every hit be worth something. :p

Maj.Striker said:
Second, was the Scimitar not included because it was too old or some other reason? (I only ask because I know Eder had a model already made from UE).
Actually, the model used in UE isn't mine. That's half the reason why it's not featured in Standoff - the other half of the reason is that it's indeed too old a ship for our story (Confed retired it officially in WC1, and this isn't the BW like in UE).

Maj.Striker said:
Third, why did you mount torpedoes on some of the ships for the two gauntlets? Was it not possible to make a purely missile loadout? (The extra missiles would come in handy :) ).
Well, we can't have separate loadouts for separate missions in the sim - it's 7 ship slots, plus 7 alswantsmoreships slots, and that's that. So, we had to give the bombers their torpedo loadouts, otherwise we wouldn't be able to have strike missions. :p

Maj.Striker said:
Ok, won't ask again about the whole Raptor gun firing arc thing. :(
Have you checked out the end-game credits, then? :p

Back