Could WC1 be made better?

Having just played WC1/SM1/SM2, I would have to say... no. A graphics engine overhaul may be nice, but there's just something about being able to count the pixels (if you want) that makes it special IMO.

I wouldn't want WC1/WC2 to be remade, because it wouldn't have the same feeling... the only things I would enhance if I could would be to replace the ship sprites with higher-res ones and add more sprites angles, especially to WC1 where there seems to be a sprite for for only every 30° in the 3Ds, where in WC2 it looked more like 10°s. ***

HCl's anti-aliasing experiment is promising too...

*** Rough estimates from memory experiences

It's too bad they never released the source code for the classic Wing Commanders like Id did with wolf3d & doom. That would make it alot easier to adapt the games to modern hardware and fix "true" bugs without spoiling the inner workings of the games that gave them their unique character.

Have any of you heard of the Doomsday source port for Doom? It maintains the feel of the original doom but runs on modern hardware. You can play it with the original doom graphics or download 3d model replacements for sprites and high res textures if you want. Something like that for the classic Wing Commander games would be cool in my opinion. The original wing commander code will be driving the game, but it would function on modern hardware and allow for people to create 3d models or high res sprites for those that might want them, while still allowings others to play with the original sprites and graphics if they prefered.

Krueg said:
Have any of you heard of the Doomsday source port for Doom? It maintains the feel of the original doom but runs on modern hardware.

Couldn't say so, no. However what is wrong with the original Doom? It runs fine on current hardware as is. In fact I'd dare say that Doom is one of the pieces of software that is most stable and relieable. Once Doom won't run you can probably scrap your machine.

and i would say you totally missed his point. he didnt say anything is wrong with it. what he was talking about is that since its source code was released, folks who aren't so hot on playing a game with sprites can play the game with 3d graphics. its the exact same doom, only in 3d. all they did was replace the graphics engine code (i'm guessing) or suped it up or whatever. its a nice thought, but very unlikely the WC1, 2, or Privateer code would ever be released.

Can WC1 be made better? That's a difficult question under any circumstances. Any new game wouldn't be WC1, it would be a new game that was more or less similar to it. So say you took as your starting point some modern, exact clone of WC1, which was infinitely tweakable. Then you have to question what exactly you'd tweak, because "better" is entirely subjective. Is that easier, harder, shinier, longer?

I'd say that if one was so inclined as to remake WC1, the best place to start would be with an exact clone. Make it look and feel as precisely the same as you could, even down to using the original datafiles. THEN start tweaking it, or allow other people to. Of course, I'm one to talk, given that my Armada remake looks totally different from the original, but part of that was my simple inability to access the original artwork in a useful form. :)

Back