Corvettes

"Non-Wing Commander" is really a more appropriate forum title than "Off-Topic" is. It's a forum for talking about things other than Wing Commander, not a forum for changing the topics of threads (despite how often that may happen).

Of course it is... Being off-topic and being non-Wing Commander are the same thing... anything that isn't about Wing Commander is off-topic and, hence, goes here.

Why? It's rather clearly explained...

General Wing Commander Chat
The place for general Wing Commander discussion.

Off-topic Zone
Anything at all that you want to talk about!

One would assume, from this, that you talk about Wing Commander in the Wing Commander Zone... and anything else in the Off-topic Zone...

No, I just like Off-topic because it has a negative connotation and will make people subconciously feel bad for posting here!

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

All Terrain Transport Enforcer, IIRC. I've got the book, but can't be assed to go actually check it....I'm 99% sure the "E" stood for "Enforcer". It might not be Transport Enforcer though.

It's All Terrain Tactical Enforcer.

Originally posted by junior
Lunchtime!
Means I was able to slip out of the office down to the local Barnes and Noble, which had the cross-sections book in stock.
From memory...

The "Republic Assault Cruiser" (quotes were what that section was titled) is the Acclamator-class Troop Transport. It was built by a subsidiary of Kuati Drive Yards, who also built the later Star Destroyers. According to the fluff text, KDY would probably have been numbered among the seperatists, except for the fact that the Neimoidians assassinated some KDY trade delegates during the latters' take over of the Trade Federation more than a decade earlier. Take the fluff text as you will.
The gunships are listed as LAAT/i, or Light Air Assault Transport/ infantry, and are also built by the same sibsidiary of KDY. The proto-walkers that we see in the movie are listed as AT-TE, and unfortunately, I don't recall what the 'TE' stands for. Once again, this vehicle is built by the same subsidiary of KDY.

Well, ok, thanks. Isn't it a bit short period of time then to have the Victory introduced and then by ANH they are already obsolete?

Well, the New Republic and Empire both use Victory Star Destroyers for quite a while after [ie., they have Victorys in The New Jedi Order books] because of its 80 [or was it 40? no, i think its 80...] concussion missile tubes that can completely overwhelm a target's shields [at least in the fiction, in the games it doesnt work]

20 years does seem more in the ball park but it just still seems a bit short to me. The Nimitz class carriers of today are designed with a life span of 50 years. And we were still using Iowa class BBs just 10 years ago and they were commisioned in the 40s.

Yeah but a VSD must be a fairly large investment in time, resources, training and manpower, especially during wartime. I would pretty pissed off as a resource allocator if something like that was obsolete within 20 years! :)

Well it is an EMPIRE. AN empire that controls the entire galaxy. They could f probably found a way to buid those things relatively quickly.

The only reason its obsolete is because the Imperial Star Destroyer does all the same things so much better. The Victory Star Destroyer will still blow up entire fleets of smaller ships without too much difficulty.

Back