Corrupt files on WCIV DVD

Stardust

Spaceman
Hi there! I've recently bought the WCIV-DVD on ebay, man was I happy to finally get my hands on this! But now it seems that some of the movie files on side A are corrupt(if you wish, I could post which of them exactly).
The game itself works great (even the movies played well...at least one time, the second time and all the other times I wanted to play, the movies were running, but looked like badly encoded, with lots of artifacts, blurring etc, which I find a bit strange), but I have actually bought the DVD for the gorgeous movies, so I'm a bit sad.
When I try to open the .VOB-files, my MediaPlayer(6.4 Classic, yes it plays vobs, so that's not the problem ;) ) will open, but the movie will not play, and when I try to close the MediaPlayer, my computer will hang himself up completely for about 30 seconds. I can't even copy those files to my harddisk, when I try, my computer says CRC-Error.
What also confuses me is the fact that at one time, several files which wouldn't play the day before suddenly worked fine, but unfortunately the other files were still corrupt. Also, some files are lacking sound...to be exact, in the scenes where Blair walks through the corridors of the Lexington and when you fly back to the Intrepid after having been on Telamon.
Oh, and at least two scenes that have been on the CD Edition are missing on the DVD Edition...the first one is the video that is showing the factory you want to raid, where the Bearcats are produced, and the second one is the scene after Blair is "fired" by Tolwyn(you know, this very sad scene where Blair wants to shake Tolwyn's hand, but he refuses). In the CD version, you see Blair who has returned to Nephele in a short conversation with the barman, but it is missing in the DVD version, at least I haven't found it yet.
Is there anyone out there who has encountered similar problems with the DVD or who knows how to help me see these movies? I would really appreciate that!

Okay this might sound a little strange, but have you tried cleaning the DVD or the player? I had a problem with this and cleaning worked.

Well, the player is all shiny and new, not even 3 months old and has never had problems with anything...but cleaning the DVD could be a good idea, what would you recommend for it?

They make special cloths.. kind of like the pads you'd use to clean eyeglasses. You can wipe pretty hard with them without scratching. Normal cloth will scuff the disc.

Well this is odd! All movies work perfectly on my girlfriend's STANDALONE DVD-Player... my drive seems to have a really really bad error correction :mad:
But watching the videos on the big TV really rocks, now I just need to get myself Surround Sound, and it would be the perfect WC experience*sighs

The "Blair walking around"-scenes DO lack sound that´s right. But i watched all the other movies in 5.1 and can assure you: i learned to live with it!

Oh, I believe you, must be really cool to watch..or hear it in 5.1, I envy you! I only have stereo :( Is it good surround? And what about the two scenes I also mentioned, did you also notice that they were missing?

i searched the whole disc for them, maybe the original tapes where damaged so they couldn´t remaster them or something.
If you like wing commander, get a DVD-player that plays all filetypes. I spend hours in front of my TV just watching the WCIV-cutscenes.

That could be an explanation...and me liking Wing Commander is a bit of an understatement, because I adore it, especially part IV(except for Prophecy...good Space Sim, but no Wing Commander, I was heavily disappointed back then)!!
As for the DVD player, my girlfriend has one, as I mentioned above, and I also have spent hours watching the DVD, it was great! Unfortunately, she isn't really understanding with my WC-fanatism (although I finally managed to explain to her why I find it so unique...interactive storytelling rocks :D ), so there is little chance I will ever watch it again in full lenght at her place.

Back