Coral Sea Class Carrier Concept Model

I like the old Coral Sea better. Just shorten the wings a little, fill in the overhang, and take out the middle engine and make the flight deck fly through (or change it to one or two smaller engines. the one big engine and a few smaller engines is too star destroyerish), and fill in the intakes.

This new Coral Sea, to me at least, looks too much like the strike cruiser you see in Tie Fighter.

As for the 'old carrier', you should make the bridge smaller. it looks out of porportion (sp?) to the rest of the ship. also, fill in the overhang and make the engine block smaller

BradMick said:
The only thing i can point out Qaurto, is I get the impression you ignored the bit about the Bengal pre-dating McAuliffe.
Well, as LOAF points out, the Coral Sea was in service before 2608, while the Bengal was designed in 2619 :).

It's not a matter of canabalistic. It's perfectly reasonable that this ship would share that kind of design characteristic. Also, look at the Exeter. It has the same wing deals, the Gilgamesh is a flying pair of them, the Concordia has them. It's a pretty common Terran design thing.
Well, see, not really - you are trying to make it a common design trait. The only Terran carrier to feature this kind of wings is the Bengal class. The Concordia features light winglets, while here the so-called wings are really a broadening of the hull, apparently in order to have more place for engines. And as for the Exeter & Gilgamesh, they both have roughly triangular shapes (and so does the Paradigm)... but they are destroyers, not carriers.

...Anyway, all that is moot in light of the revised Coral Sea concept you've presented :). I have to say, I like the new concept much better. I'm glad to hear you'll be adding more engines, though - because if there's one thing that looks un WC-like in this prototype, it's that huge single engine. I like the way you've taken the movie Concodia and carrierised it - IMO, although the movie Concordia is a fairly new design (nearest estimate would be 2630s, based on the Pilgrim war references), it is (along with the Talahassees?) the closest thing we have to a visual representation of pre-McAuliffe battleships... and it seems to me that a heavy carrier from the early 2600s would have probably been a modification of a battleship design (since space carriers were only just coming into being). So, I think the direction you're taking here is a good one.

One suggestion I would have, though, is to take those wall-things on the side of the flight deck (assuming that bit at the front is the flight deck), and extend them into prongs sticking out on the front of the hull.... because unlike those wings from the previous design, forward prongs do seem like a general design feature for Confed carriers :).

I think the 'old carrier' looks good, you could probably just drop the hanging sheets of steel, or extend the hull underneith them so it's solid.

Cool. Well, then i'll work on doing up the new Coral Sea then :)

And, you're right there too Quarto, after talking to LOAF he pointed out the bit about the Coral Sea having been around since before 2608 as well. I had forgotten that bit from the novel. I dunno so much about the prongs, i'll play with it a bit though. I think keeping it fairly contained and streamlined works a bit better, but i'll see what happens :)

Should be able to get to it tonight, i've got some more stuff to run out to my recruiter for my Warrant Officer packet this morning, so not much time for modeling. Tonight looks free though.

Brad, you've got some very sweet designs. However, you should probably start your own thread instead of hijacking Sylvester's. ;) Apart from that fact...very cool work. :)

Sylvester, your ship design seems a little blocky (which isn't a problem if you like cubes...which I happen to love), you might want to try to soften some of the angles to it and perhaps add some length to it. Just an asthetic suggestion.

BradMick said:
well, so...i'm not one to not play around with designs, and so....here's a quickie prototype model of a revised Coral Sea design based on all the input. i have to admit, i'm slightly more partial to this one, which means i'm going to have to come up with something new for the 'old carrier class' (the one on the right in the above three ship pic) so it doesn't look so horribly out of place. i'm going to add some more engines to the back though, so...yeah, here's the prototype for the revised Coral Sea.

coralseaprototype7ef.jpg

killerwave, i'll quick do up the other Coral Sea for you if you want, or i'll keep this one low res starting out for you. you're call.

Interesting design. :cool:

hmm, i don't like it. it looks like a crossover between a lancer and a dreadnaught, both SW. i don't really see anything wing commander in there. the first concept was way cooler. i wouldn'T can it just because somebody'S whining about it having wings like a bengal. i mean a lot of ships have wings like that, e.g. the exeter, confederation, falcon(yours, i think) wake island, gilgamesh etc. apparently those wings are a design confed engineers favor a lot, so it actually a pro, not a con argument that the wings are there, it made the ship look very authentic

you guys keep talkinga bout star wars...i have no idea what these ships you're talking about look like. mind posting references to this stuff?

also, chevie, while i do agree with you to a point, you have to remember...this is a community, this didn't really bother me at all. While i'm very partial to the first Coral Sea design...it's far more dynamic and interesting, this other fits the bill a bit better. It's very much so pulling fromt he Concordia supercruiser, and the bow was actually inspired by a fan model from the WCRPG. it's really no biggie. And it fits with the concordia class as well, and will ber overall easier to make fit into scenes. and, well...it'll fit nicely with the Bengal as well. (Ark Royal anyone? :))

Well, after mulling it over some more and hashing out a few details, i've got a new prototype model here. Quarto got me to thinkin about the supercruiser being a good example of a pre-war ship. this ones definately more super cruiser-ish. i dunno, its a toss up between the first prototype and this one. enjoy!

coralseaprototype27gf.jpg

i've to look again for the lancer frigate, but here's a (bad) shot of the imperial dreadnaught. the lancer is essentially the same, except having one big engine in the back instead of a bank and looking somewhat longer and thinner

Attachments

• screenshot_012.jpg
    screenshot_012.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 154
Brad, as always very professional and detailed models -- I like all of them so far!

My favourite model however for the Coral Sea would be your first design with the single launch deck and small "wings". To me it seems to capture elements of the WCM Bengal and parts of the later (WC3 onwards) capship styles in a design that indicates potential progression while attaining a transitional, yet unique style.

I can also see the WCM references with your latter two designs, particularly resemblances to the SuperCruiser, moreso with the second design. My only concern with it is that pre-dates the Lexington from Armada, yet appears remarkably similar, although if your intention is to maintain close continuity with the WCM SuperCruiser, then I think you have been very successful.

Your third and most recent design reminded me of this ship (grabbed from the trailer), which is due to appear in Conquest Frontier Wars 2: The Vyrium Uprising:

cfw29rr.jpg

I hope Conquest 2 is still on track -- the official site lists Q3 05 as the release date, yet I haven't seen any previews or coverage since the trailer was unveiled at E3 2004. Many of the Terran designs in Conquest 1 bear much resemblance to the WCM designs and I believe there was some connection between Digital Anvil and Fever Pitch Studios (now Warthog Texas).

I do like the nods to the WC1 Bengal in last design though.

Cheers,

BrynS

Conquest was developed at Digital Anvil. When Microsoft bought the company, they declined to publish it and it was sold to Fever Pitch.

BradMick said:
Well, after mulling it over some more and hashing out a few details, i've got a new prototype model here. Quarto got me to thinkin about the supercruiser being a good example of a pre-war ship. this ones definately more super cruiser-ish. i dunno, its a toss up between the first prototype and this one. enjoy!
I think both this one and the previous designs are good. One major problem with this one is that at the moment, the hull shape makes it look like a giant space-boat. The devil's in the details, though - obviously, the same shape was visible in the supercruiser, but they added more details on the underside to break up the "this way up" impression. I assume you'll be doing the same here - at the moment, the bow underside definitely needs something.

BradMick said:
killerwave, i'll quick do up the other Coral Sea for you if you want, or i'll keep this one low res starting out for you. you're call.

The new model looks nice, but the first one is the one I want to get into the game. It would be terrible to let such neat model go to waste ;)

I just watched the Conquest 2 trailer, and I have to say it looks exactly like the original. I'll probably buy it anyone, but first I need to beat #1.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

d-l-ing trailer now. as for the ship, i'd actually put the wings back on. combining the general conny-sc shape with the bengal launch bay and wings

Back