Coral Sea Class Carrier Concept Model

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I noticed that the Coral Sea was mentioned in Action Stations as an older Confederation carrier. This is a conceptual model I have thought up that might represent what it looks like. The model is 715m long, 165 wide at the bow and 305m wide at the stern.

coralsea1ik.th.jpg

This would probably go over better in Fan Projects or WC3D. Also, the wings are too big.

It shows promise, but I'd probably reproportion it. As it stand right now, it is just a little too "Vesuvius mates with Hellcat V," I think. I hope that can be taken as constructive criticism rather than a downer. Don't give up on it, though. Continue to play with it and let us see what you come up with.

Well, this was spawned out of a little friendly debate between me and Josh on how this ship should look. so, here's my take on it. still early WIP, yet. But the major forms are all knocked out for the most part. Will see about continuing on it later on today. Gotta get to bed now though, have PT in 4 1/2 hours.

Also, I should point out the design i'm working off of was done by the ever so talented Marc (he's probably like 'it's about damn time!'). He's a kick ass conceptual artist, thats for damn sure!

coralsea013xj.jpg

coralsea026oz.jpg

BradMick

oh, and the red boxes are each 6ft tall, and the Wildcat is scaled appropriately as well.

first one reminds me of the concorsia with wc-1 visuals i did a while back(can't enlarge the image, though)

second seems to employ mixed visuals of wcm and wc2, mostly. it looks very cool. i'd take it with two launch tubes, every day

Bob McDob said:
Damn nice to see you getting his work out at last!

yeah, the poor guy was probably thinking 'god...i did all of this for nothing!'. nope, not entirely. just been really busy with other projects and what not.

It's about damn time! :D

I might have pitch the basic shape, but it's a pleasure to see you take it to the next level.
(I think EVERYONE has been busy with other stuff lately, and I'm no exception)

Bandit LOAF said:
It is not.

Hmmmm.

Action Stations, page 270, second paragraph:

Begin:
"Coral Sea´s gone!".......
End:
...."bursting out of the old carrier´s single launch ramp."

Well, it looks like a pretty interesting design. But I'll be honest... I don't get it.

This carrier is supposed to be older than either the Concordia or the Bengal classes, right? And yet, what you've done is taken these two classes and fused them together into one design. Unless there's something I'm missing here, this makes no sense at all.

Suppose that I want to know what a truck from the 1940s looked like... going by your logic, I could get some idea of its looks by photoshopping together photos of trucks from the 1960s and 1980s.

coralsea043sf.jpg

and here's a slight update. the madness is about to begin with the hull plating.

edit (didnt see your post before i posted this)

The design was meant to fit in with the design style for the McAuliffe project i'm working on. Basically using the style of WC2 and the Movie fused together to create a solid visual style, visual continuity so to say. There are actually a lot of elements of the Movie and WC2 in here, i'm very partial to WC2's style and the films overall style as well. I like movie ships a lot. That is why it looks the way it looks.

(look here http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=15507&page=4 to get a feel for what the connie looks like, and the 'old carrier' class as well)

BradMick said:
The design was meant to fit in with the design style for the McAuliffe project i'm working on. Basically using the style of WC2 and the Movie fused together to create a solid visual style, visual continuity so to say. There are actually a lot of elements of the Movie and WC2 in here, i'm very partial to WC2's style and the films overall style as well. I like movie ships a lot. That is why it looks the way it looks.
Yeah, I understand what you're trying to do, but what I don't understand is that you've taken the wings and the bridge from the Bengal class and fused them with the body from the Concordia class. The way in which you Movie-ised all of these components is besides the point... my question is, why does a carrier presumed to predate both the Concordia and the Bengal classes look like a Bengal crossed with a Concordia? Don't get me wrong - it looks nice, but I just don't understand the logic behind the conceptual design.

Ah, I gotcha now Qaurto. I dunno, I don't really remember why to be honest, I just know I told mark what I had in mind, he took the 'Old Carrier Class' as the inspiration, and as it progressed and morphed, became that. I can't really pin down a definate logical reason behind it, just that when the design series was going, thats what it became. I remember saying 'throw bengal wings on it, and see how it turns out', this is what was born.

Actually, according to the Handbook the Bengal has been around since 2619. So it's very possible for a ship which predates WC1 to have the wing dealies. McAuliffe happens in 2634. So, I guess that would be the only explanation I can give.

First about the ship itsself. I like the generals design. The two tubed version was more interesting but if the books say one its ok.

For the part of what Quarto said
This carrier is supposed to be older than either the Concordia or the Bengal classes, right? And yet, what you've done is taken these two classes and fused them together into one design. Unless there's something I'm missing here, this makes no sense at all.

I don't know when what ship was build but its not surprising to see elemtents that worked for the one class beeing transfered to another ship.
I mean look at the Ranger-class for example. Its just a today carrier in space.
Or if you go the other way Ranger-class is equevilant to the Concordia is equal to the Vesuvius in the general design. They all follow the same general design for the visual style.
So in this case you could say that the some part of the design was taken over by the Bengal-class and later it was revised and again used in the Confederation-class.

Back