Copying from VCR to Computer

Skippy

Spaceman
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyof you know how to hook up your vcr to your computer and what you need to copy from a video casssete to a movie file (ie mpg, or avi). Just thought I'd ask here becasue it appears that was what was done with the Wing Commander Academy episodes. Thanks

Howdy,
I did both generations of WCA transfers. The latest one (high quality episodes) was done using an external device called a Canopus ADVC-100. Its an analog video (VCR) to DV converter - you plug your VCR into it with RCA plugs (the yellow/red/white ones) and then you plug the device into your computers firewire port. Your computer treats it just like a digital video camera, and it generates DV-format AVI files of whatever the VCR is playing.

Device costs about $250 - there are cheaper (in the $100 range) onboard cards you can get that are a bit harder to work with/that create slightly lower quality video.

Make sure you do *NOT* get a USB one! Those SUCK!

The newer USB2.0 Hi-speed ones are better (but only with a USB2.0 port and a properly configured USB2.0 bus (i.e., no USB 1.1 devices on said bus). USB1.1 does not have the bandwidth required for good quality capture (it does, but with overhead, it doesn't).

Of course, a DV-bridge/adapter would work with generic DV applications. A bit better than my PCI-based Dazzle Digital Video Creator 2... (but it does have the advantage of being able to record into DVD format without transcoding...).

Back