Controls for WC3 on the PC

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I've recently bought a second-hand copy of WC3 for the PC without manuals. Is there anywhere I can find a rundown of the controls and possibly info on which ships, guns etc. I'll be using during the game. On the web would be the most convenient, especially as I'm in the UK where WC artifacts seem fairly difficult to come by.
Oh, and where are the afterburners? They don't seem to be TAB.

Thanks for your help

Actually, what I meant is where are the afterburners when running in mouse mode? I know where they are on keyboard mode but I'm hardly slick with a keyboard (or even a joystick).
Thanks

I would disagree. I've been playing WCP and WCSO for around 4 years, using the mouse and keyboard controls. I've completed them both on Nightmare mode. When I've used joysticks my accuracy has been a shadow of what I can achieve with a decent mouse. I've also had a lot of success with the earlier games. Plus, I have no money to buy a good joystick.

So what key do I use for afterburner when in mouse mode? Or is WC3 the only game in the series that doesn't allow that luxury when playing with a mouse?

Originally posted by Delta_Strife
Use a joystick not a mouse. The joystick is so much better. It is very hard to play WC with a mouse.
Perhaps for you, remember that some people (however few) do not use joysticks. Quarto also prefers the mouse, and I only use the keyboard.

Unfortunately, I don't have the WC3 reference card on me at the moment, so I can't say what the AB key is. Perhaps clicking both left and right buttons at once? I recall that did something in WC1/2. I can't see why usual keyboard functions won't work in mouse mode.

Thanks WildWeasel, I now have afterburners and my killscore has picked up a lot. It puzzles me why WC3 is the exception, while all the other WC games seem to allow the mouse & normal keyboard functions in combination.
I didn't realise I was in so much of a minority for using a mouse. it always seemed the easiest and most sensible way of controlling the game.
Thanks

Originally posted by jammyo2k
It always seemed the easiest and most sensible way of controlling the game.
Like in Freelancer? :)

I guess people prefer joysticks partly because... that's what 'real' aircraft use, at least the modern 'fly-by-wire' ones, anyway.

I agree with you Wedge, I just can't seem to use a mouse for WC, I end up all over the place (bad coordination I guess) Thats why I am not to sure about Freelancers proposed control system, but I suppose I can't knock it till I ve tried it

I tried using the mouse a couple of times (mostly from accidentally bumping it while playing) and I don't find it too bad, but I still prefer the keyboard. I think the mouse is a little hard to control because it seems to have such a high sensitivity to movement.

Back