Congratulations Contest Winners! (January 1, 2009)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
We've got some interesting results for this (last!) year's annual contest winners. Creative projects driven by a single main developer dominated the polls this season. At the same time, renewed attention to providing status updates helped propel some of the older/larger projects in the web site category rankings for the first time. Although we only award a few winners each year, every project nominated and every dedicated Wing Commander fan has our appreciation for keeping things exciting in 2008. Many of the nominees are on the verge of big releases or major updates in the coming year, so we're looking forward to what's to come in 2009!

fanprojectoftheyear_winner_2008.gif

We have a new first-time winner for Fan Project of the Year! Privateer Ascii Sector took the top spot in 2008! Frequent updates and tons of new features kept Wing Commander fans entertained all year long, and the solid gameplay wrapped in a unique package made this one appeal to a wide audience outside the CIC to bring new WC fans into the mix. Chris Knudsen's game was the runner up last year.

fanprojectoftheyear_runnerup_2008.gif

The 2008 runner up is Flight Commander! The new FC1.6 boasts tons of impressive new upgrades, the new engine updates look fantastic and the game's new mission editor makes it easier than ever for new modders to dig in. Thanks Eddie!

websiteoftheyear_winner_2008.gif

Our newest Solsector site, Paper Commander, took Web Site of the Year this time! This new addition was a spin-off of Paper Inside, which was the runner up last year. It's been a few months since Pericles' last release, but there are many new ship designs in progress.

websiteoftheyear_runnerup_2008.gif

Standoff & WC Saga have jumped from the Fan Project to the Web Site category this year! No strangers to ties, these two projects are both our runners up. Although neither project had a major release in 2008, both recommitted themselves to providing updates and communicating to their fans via their site news pages.

Thanks again to all of our nominees for contributing to the community throughout the year, and we wish them all good luck in 2009!

--
Original update published on January 1, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, the awards are in very good hands. Both Péricles' creations and ASCII sector are two very unique ideas, put to practice by the hard work of two very talented "one-man-army" guys - I find it very interesting that they have each won one of the awards in the same year!

May 2009 give us even better fan projects! I will certainly do my part. ;)

Congratulations to everyone involved, winner or not. It's people like you who help to keep the community alive in the 21st century. :)

Congratulations. Well deserved winners in all categories.

This time the so called smaller projects made it to the top - I am sure that will encourage them to continue their great work and others to start new projects on their own.

Btw, I am calling them smaller projects because they are all one man shows - for sure they spent lots of hours keeping their projects going.

That shows us that even as a one man show it's possible to do impressive work.

Wow, this is certainly a very pleasant surprise to start off 2009! With all the other awesome projects nominated, I honestly at most had hoped to become runner up like I did last year. Thanks to everybody that voted! :)

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone nominated. I am always more than impressed how much dedication and skill you guys put in our beloved game.

If I may, I'd like to say that I have a very sweet spot for the Community Replay, I don't know, I think it's the most basic but also most personal in WC terms of all projects, the very essence of what brings us together. I hope it will return when I have the possibilities to participate. So my personal congratulations to you replay people.

[And yet I didn't vote for it which I regretted immediately after casting my vote]

Many thanks!!!!!

Friends

I am proud to have been blessed with this memory. I regret that I have had time to make new updates on Papercommander for professional reasons. But for 2009 will be many new features, want to update the site in February with at least two or three new ships ...

The first phase is already in final assembly test is Venture Corvette, version Standoff ...

P1010028.jpg

Cheers!!!

Péricles

Back