Confederation Uniforms.

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
I've recently gotten 3 Wing Commander novels and to better visualise the characters, I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some pictures of the Confederation uniforms over the different times?
Any information relevant to uniforms is greatly appreciated!

Which novels are you reading? I can try and find you the appropriate uniforms for that era.

Heart of the Tiger. That one I figured out by just looking at Wing Commander 3 again. However the author mentions 'of the line' uniforms. However when I watched the footage, no matter what branch of the confederation they were (Navy, Space Force/Pilots) they all wore the same blue uniform. Was this because no matter what branch of service, this blue uniform was worn of all Confederation officers? And then they just had branch specific gear? (eg: Pilots have flight suits, Technicians have techie suits).

The next two are Freedom Flight and End Run. I suspect End Run is Wing Commander 2 as Doomsday is mentioned on the introduction page, but I have only read a couple pages.

I'm mainly trying to get an idea on what the uniform differences are between branches of the confederation really.
Thanks again for your help! :cool:

Mmkay, I'll grab some screenshots when I get home.

The two branches (Space Forces and Navy) wear essentially the same duty uniform in Wing Commander III (Here's CCG artwork of Eisen in one). The only significant difference is that Space Forces insignae are gold, whereas the Navy uses silver. The flag ranks (ie, Tolwyn) wear a uniform that's the same color, but lacks the 'shoulder pads' and has a more pronounced collar.

(In Wing Commander IV, with a film budget that allowed them nicer outfits, the Navy officers got new light blue uniforms with white accents... which distinguished them from the still-darker-blue Space Forces outfits well.)

(Freedom Flight is WC1 and End Run is WC2 - I can describe the uniforms if you want, or I can just track down screenshots when I get home.)

Thanks! That helps a million!
Wing Commander 1 I understand well I think. Marines wore the green uniforms with the red beret, space forces wore the brown uniforms with blue pants, and the navy wore those light blue we saw with Halcyon?
Wing Commander 2 from how I saw it, both Navy and Space force wore the same blue uniform and flag ranks such as Tolwyn (and Admirel Terrel in Privateer) wore the white uniform?
Thanks again for your help! :cool:

A little liberty

We needed these for our RPG we're putting together. We tried to stick close to WC2-WC3 style uniforms. Not 100 percent canon, but we're pretty certain we're close enough. Some of the stuff we just added for dramatic flare. These may or may not help much.

Naval/Space Force Class A Uniform (Worn only by ranks higher than Colonel/Captain)
-Two piece uniform
-Blue pressed pants
-High collar jacket with double breast pockets silver buttons down center. Coat comes down just past the waist
-Black trim around cuffs, neck line, and down center front of jacket
-Optional blue cloak with golden fasteners for Admiralty. Black cloak for intel generals. Green cloak for Marine generals
-Black belt with silver belt buckle
-Black combat boots, well polished
-Rank insignia on collar, wings over the right chest pocket (silver for navy, gold for space force), ribbons worn over left chest pocket
-Confederation logo patch worn on left arm shoulder
-No name patch

Naval/Space Force Class B Uniform (Standard issue)
-Blue jumpsuit, one piece, double breast pocket
-Jumpsuit has single zipper and three silver clasps to fasten
-Collar kept undone
-Dark blue name tag with white lettering worn over right chest pocket, just above wings(silver for navy, gold for space force)
-Ribbons worn over left chest pocket
-Shoulders are covered in dark blue patches
-White shorts and white t-shirt worn underneath. T-shirt bares the name of serviceperson's home base (IE: T.C.S. Ardor, T.C.S. Concordia, Sirus Base, etc.)
-Confederation logo crest worn on right and left arms
-Black belt with black belt buckle
-Black combat boots
-Rank insignia worn inside of collar(turned down)

Flightsuit (worn by any division while in small craft/fighters)
-Tan coloured one piece jumpsuit with 5 black clasps slightly off center (to the right) to fasten
-Two hip pockets, one pocket on each shin
-Black customseal cuffs around neck, elbows, arm and leg holes. Helmet, gloves, and black magnetboots seal with suit (Once connected to g-suit in fighter and oxygen supply, with visor down, suit becomes fully pressurized)
-Confederation crest logo worn on right arm
-White shorts and white t-shirt worn underneath. T-shirt bares the name of serviceperson's home base

Naval/Space Force Class C Uniform (Enlisted fatigues)
-Soft dark brown cap with no insignia
-Dark brown coveralls with 3 silver clasps to fasten up the front
-Name tag worn over right breast
-Confederation logo patch on left arm shoulder
-Rank insignia pinned on inside of collar (turned out)
-Black combat boots

Marine/Intel Class A Uniform (standard for intel, formal for marines)
-Black soft cap with no insignia (marines can wear optional red baret)
-Black, high collar jacket with 3 silver clasps that fasten up the front. Comes down just past the waist line
-Rank insignia worn just below Confederation logo crest on each sleave
-Rank insignia also worn on collar of jacket
-Black combat boots
-Marines are issued M-47 semi-auto laser rifle
-Intel are issued standard Laser pistol
-The insignia on Marine uniform collars acts as a communicator. It is activated by pressing it

Marine Class B Uniform (combat)
-Hard helmet reminicent of 21st century US marines but with chameleon ability to mimic surrounding colors
-Flack vest, fatigues, and pants with chameleon ability
-Black combat boots
-Rank insignia worn on sleeve below Confederation logo
-When chameleon ability is off/re-charging all clothing and helmet revert to combat green
-The M-47 semi-auto laser rifle is standard issue

Best of luck

-Optional blue cloak with golden fasteners for Admiralty. Black cloak for intel generals. Green cloak for Marine generals

Eh, it's slightly hard to believe that intelligence officers would get special "LOOK AT ME! I'M IN CHARGE OF INTEL!" outfits. :)

The point of the black, insignia-less uniforms on the security guards in Fleet Actions was anonymity - that doesn't work with a cape (iirc, they're capes rather than cloaks).

Naval/Space Force Class C Uniform (Enlisted fatigues)

I believe that the uniform 'classes' mentioned in the novel aren't a WC invention - they're brought over from the modern forces. AFAIK it divides basically into Class A (formal-style suit/jacket), Class B (formal shirt) and BDUs (camouflage, what you see Marines in on combat). Psych or one of the other real world military experts can probably give more correct information.

Yeah, you have a point. We're just reminded of the get up Paldin has in WC3. Which doesn't mean much as that was white...errm..anyway.

Looking for Pysch then for an answer on uniform classes. Although I have a feeling you're probaby right. It would make sense at least.

Paladin wears the same uniform as Blair in WC3 - you're thinking of WC4, where he's a senator.

I think its time I bother the WC movie's costume designer again.

I'm not sure. I'd imagine it's a formal civilian outfit - though the cape he wears while presiding over the senate is position-mandated.

I liked the guy in WC4 who was wearing a Civil War Confederate General uniform. There was also a guy with a U.S.M.C. Officer dress blues "coat" on. I guess they raided all the dressing rooms. :D

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm not sure. I'd imagine it's a formal civilian outfit - though the cape he wears while presiding over the senate is position-mandated.

Maybe, after a lifetime in the military, he had no imagination regarding clothing. No, wait, let's not forget about his outfit on WC2. :)

TopGun said:
Halcyon was Space Force not Navy, he was a Colonel after all

They didn't use different branches on WC1, but yeah, he couldn't be navy with the rank of colonel.

Back