Confederation Fleet Tactics

Wow, this thread got interesting over the weekend. I wouldn't have mentioned the name Gettysburg had I known! :D

Since we've gone down this path, how many Lexingtons do we know of in WC? My count has this at 2 total - the Lexington class in Armada and the Concordia class Lexington from WCIV

When it comes to number of carriers in service, I think that really depends on what date you are looking at. In the last 3 years of the war Confed suffers heavy carrier losses (I want to say 8 alone in 2666 according to ER). So that means in the early 2660s Confed had somewhere near 20 carriers. Now the galaxy is bigger than the Pacific, but given the make up of the US Navy during WWII the numbers make sense to me. Granted, I'd expect ConFleet to have something more along the lines of 30-40 carriers, but we know Confed starts the war at a disadvantage by not having the military infrastructure there to rapidly build large capships.

I have a bit more to say but I'm late for work now...so I'll finish up later on. This is a really interesting topic.

Thank you sir - this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Your logic surrounding the manner in which the vast majority of fleet engagements took place feels right to me as well.

... but Wing Commander makes that problematic by having a TCS Manassas. Manassas was the *Confederate* name for the battle of Bull Run and so is... well, an odd name for a ship to say the least.
Mmm, maybe it's because it's a Confederate ship in a Confed vs. Union game, so it couldn't very well carry a Union name :). Or maybe they just thought that this would sound better than TCS Bull Run.

Actually, I just checked, and apparently Manassas is something of an exception to the rule. Even though historians usually refer to Bull Run, the US National Park Service named the battlefield site Manassas National Battlefield Park.

Since we've gone down this path, how many Lexingtons do we know of in WC? My count has this at 2 total - the Lexington class in Armada and the Concordia class Lexington from WCIV

Yeah, we see two--although we know that the ship from Wing Commander IV is the 11th ship to carry the name... so there should be a few more between today and Fleet Action!

We did a WC vs History on the subject a while back: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2011/05/27/wc-vs-history-forty-five-score-and-eleven-lexingtons

Actually, I just checked, and apparently Manassas is something of an exception to the rule. Even though historians usually refer to Bull Run, the US National Park Service named the battlefield site Manassas National Battlefield Park.

There's actually some history behind this--it has to do with the public consciousness of the war at the place and time the National Park Service took over the area (Virginia in the 1930s.)
(Not-that-interestingly, Googling for ships named after smaller Civil War battles gets you a LOT of Star Trek fan pages. There /was/ a World War II tanker named Bull Run, at the very least.)

Last edited by a moderator:

This page is great, thanks for sharing - the story concerning the CV-16 Lexington reads like science fiction! I had forgotten the story about Admiral Mitscher wanting a photo with Vraciu - better than fiction IMO.

I think my favorite part though has to be adding the charge "standing in front of the wrong franchise's aircraft carrier namesake" to Paulsen's war crimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back