Confederation Army?

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Does one exist? Sure, I know on page 62 of Fleet Action it says, "... easily identified by the gold star of the army...", but is this accurate? Because we sure as hell don't hear or see anything about a Confederation Army in anything else. Do we?
frown.gif

PS: If anyone can guess where my signiature comes from, you'll get fifty Dralthi Dollars (not legal tender).

------------------
A gun rack? I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns to neccessitate an entire rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. But the line on page 62 of FA still exists.

------------------
A gun rack? I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns to neccessitate an entire rack.

At the AGWL? you used it as a username and when you tried to use it for your AOL e-mail address it had been taken so you knocked the number up one.SHOW ME THE MONEY!SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

------------------
Ultimately its other people's reactions that make us who we are.

Ooh, sorry, Cattie, me boy! That's my user name! My signiature is all that bullshit about a gun rack.
smile.gif

------------------

Oooops.Thats easy, Waynes World when hes talking to his psycho-hose beast of a ex who had gotten him a gun rack for their annaversery.She then makes a remark that Wayne might lose her if he is not careful and he retorts that he already lost her and that he was glad.SHOW ME THE MONEY!SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

I'd their existance is implied.
For one, how would they hold planets without ground troops?
Confed can't keep its ships stationed above planets all life doing blockades...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

But the ground troops are Marines, wich are part of the Navy. Although I think that in AS when Banbridge and Turner were talking about some comando unit they were in, that they were in the army at that time (aren't comandos in the army?)

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

There are commandos in any branch of the service. However, it is a good bet that the Confederation had an army, because historically marines (at least in the US) have been more ship boarding, ship security, and first strike troops. Marines may attack first, then army units would probably come in to take and hold a planet or whatever. Just a guess.

Yeah, if you look up the word marine in the dictionary it says a soldier operating off of a ship or something to that effect. And a ship would have to orbit a planet forever to provide defense for it, so I agree with that.

And I'd give you those Dralthi Dollars if I had them, Catscratch, but they're not worth jack, so you have my admiration for recognizing a line from Wayne's World. (I've been obsessed with that movie for the last couple of days.
smile.gif
)

------------------

Confed could have an army, but in all novels, that have something to do with taking a planet involve marines. In End Run, on Vukar Tag there are tons of marines trying to take the planet.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

I'd say if Confed did indeed have any army, they'd stay stationary on a planet in case the Kilrathi attacked or whatnot.

And they'd use marines to capture a planet anyway, so why bring it up?

------------------

Maybe, they would need the marines somwhere else, so they bring in the army after the area is secured.

------------------

Eh...maybe.

------------------

If the army is used only to hold areas and doesn't get into any major battle, then it'd be a somewhat "second class" job...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 16, 2000).]

Holding areas can be a damn hard job... Think WC3, we were losing terribly, all those planets that were taken would have been defended by the Confed Army (that is, if this hypothesis is correct). Holding a place can be more difficult than taking it.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Holding a position is more difficult than taking it in the first place.
Look at every empire there's ever been. They basically expand outwards - then stop expanding because they've overstretched themselves & eventually collapse as a result. That's why there are no empires today.

------------------
So I told them straight - we'll decide how to spend our defence budget, not them!
How did our allies take that?
What allies?

Holding a position is more difficult than taking it in the first place.
Look at every empire there's ever been. They basically expand outwards - then stop expanding because they've overstretched themselves & eventually collapse as a result. That's why there are no empires today.

Back