Confed Patrols in Privateer

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
I was wondering on the drive home today, why would Confed patrol for contraband? It seems like with the war going on, they would leave those kinds of issues up to the local militias. And for that matter, what is the relationship between Confed and all the worlds in the Gemini Sector? Is there a state and national government type of setup where Confed is the national government and the planets are the states? Either way, it seems like each state or planet would have its own domestic laws deciding whether or not drugs (probably not slaves though) are legal.

It also surprises me that weapons wouldn't be illegal. That seems like it would be just as bad if not worse than importing illegal drugs.

I was wondering on the drive home today, why would Confed patrol for contraband? It seems like with the war going on, they would leave those kinds of issues up to the local militias.

I don't think "there's a war going on" is much of an excuse for people to stop doing their jobs... particularly *in* the war zone.

And for that matter, what is the relationship between Confed and all the worlds in the Gemini Sector? Is there a state and national government type of setup where Confed is the national government and the planets are the states?

That seems to be the gist of it. We only see occasional snippets of the larger civilian government and when we do they're usually modeled after the American system (three-branch government, two-party power structure, popularly elected President, etc.)... with some changes having collected over time. The Confederation, for instance, has an apparently unicameral legislature... and perhaps a less developed system for admitting territories as states. There also seems to be another layer of 'sector' representation (Sector Governors and such) which we do not have today (there's no American structure that would have a Governor of the Midwest).

Either way, it seems like each state or planet would have its own domestic laws deciding whether or not drugs (probably not slaves though) are legal.

It also surprises me that weapons wouldn't be illegal. That seems like it would be just as bad if not worse than importing illegal drugs.

Why would either of these things seem like they should operate these ways? Your IP says you're posting from the United States, so you should be familiar with a system that both outlaws narcotics on a federal level *and* preserves an individual's rights to own weapons.

I don't think "there's a war going on" is much of an excuse for people to stop doing their jobs... particularly *in* the war zone.
Obviously I'm not advocating they not do their jobs. I just didn't really understand why that was their job. At least, not with all the militia patrols scanning for the same contraband.

Why would either of these things seem like they should operate these ways? Your IP says you're posting from the United States, so you should be familiar with a system that both outlaws narcotics on a federal level *and* preserves an individual's rights to own weapons.
I'll admit it makes sense in the United States. I'm assuming though that on a larger scale, each planet could have very different conflicts, some in which are in desperate need of arms. And it seems like there would be problems allowing anyone to sell guns to any planet and its peoples.

The Confederation military is stretched thin. They're probably thankful that civilians can defend themselves against piracy and small Kilrathi incursions and can leave Confleet to fight the main war. That would be why you are allowed to buy on the open market a heavy fighter that is nearly the equal of the contemporaneous Rapier II (i.e. the Centurion).

Militia is stretched thin, yes. But aren't Confed forces stretched even thinner in Privateer? I mean - except the Perry system :)

And... I always wanted to answer Confed patrols asking for contraband - "Ain't your business, pal. Go smoke some cats"

Militia is stretched thin, yes. But aren't Confed forces stretched even thinner in Privateer? I mean - except the Perry system :)

Yes, but Privateer acknowledges this by describing the reason that Gemini was built up was to fortify the edges of the frontier to prevent the Kilrathi from bypassing the front lines.

Wasn't the arngument made that yes civilians can buy weapons such as missiles, such as dumbfire missiles. Pepole complianed that the missiles didn't have the same "punch" as military weapons.
Civilians where able to buy weapons but not weapons of the same grade as Confed and militias.

After all for the most part if your human the Kilrathi want you dead simply because. It's mutually benificial to have as many "friendly" guns out there.
By the same right it makes sence to have patrols and contraband checks in system and along important trade routs to make sure that civilians...armed ones especially arn't working against Confed and local goverment interests. If your smuggling drugs, slaves ect...whats to stop you from selling/trading intel or helping the Kilrathi or other factions like those nut Retros?
In Privateer you can actually get on the Klrathi' good side if you don't kill too many and you beg for your life enough. Would have really been sweet to get to land on a Kilrathi base and be able to buy some of their weapons and ships.
"Monkey boy. You make me laugh." :)

A privateer isn't the same thing as a civilian.

No longer having a copy of the game... was there an official "letter of marque" that Brownhair was issued? Or that the privateers in general were getting, that authorized them to fly heavily armed civilian craft?

In Privateer you can actually get on the Klrathi' good side if you don't kill too many and you beg for your life enough. Would have really been sweet to get to land on a Kilrathi base and be able to buy some of their weapons and ships.
"Monkey boy. You make me laugh." :)

one of my times just messing around I decided to be "evil" and only attack militia, confed, mercs and merchants. I ended up getting to a point where pirates and kilrathi were friendly on the radar as soon as they came into range, didn't even have to use the comms to sweet talk them. Can't remember if retros got friendly or not

Towards the End of Privateer you are hired by Confed to help them to get rid of the Steltek Ship....So there must have been a letter of marque so that then you were a Privateer.... Right or am I incorrect?

Back