confed elections

maestro876

Spaceman
Does anyone know anything about the Confed election cycle? I mean, their government seems pretty much to be America in Space, as in seperate executive and legeslative branches. At least, that's what I gathered from Fleet Action.

The big thing I'm wondering about is, does anyone know if the year of the Armistice, 2668, was a presidential or congressional election year?

Thanks for your help.

Fleet Action does not make mention of it being an election year, so that implies that the American practice of electing Representatives every two years and electing Presidents in years divisible by four is not being observed.

I don't think you can say that just because the book doesn't mention it that it means it's not true. Neither can you say that since the book doesn't contradict it that it has to be true.

Fleet Action does not make mention of it being an election year, so that implies that the American practice of electing Representatives every two years and electing Presidents in years divisible by four is not being observed.

Well, that's fairly specious logic... not being given information about something isn't the same thing as proof that it doesn't exist.

It's worth nothing that the Confederation apparently has a unicameral legislature... which is referred to as the Senate. If they're borrowing from our current system, then elections for senators (also a term used in WC) should be every *six* years (and of course, following the same system would mean that everything depends on when the Confederation was founded, not what the years are divisible by...).

We do know that 2634 (from Action Stations) was an Presidential election year, and that August 30th (.242) was Election Day.

If 2634 was a presidential election year, then by extrapolating an election every four years after that, 2668 was not a Presidential election year. It may have been a legislative election year, but since we don't know the date of the founding of the Confederation (or do we?) we can't tell.

Can't tell either way -- because there's no rule saying that a nation has to elect a president every four years (the CSA, for instance, changed it to a president every six years with no option for a second term).

One thing I'd like to figure out is if the systems also have some legislative body to work with the governors.

The implication seems to be that the Senate and President are like the Federal Government of the USA, and each individual system would correspond to the States. Each one would have a Governor and a System Legislature (either unicameral, bicameral, tricameral, or whatever), and would have to meet certain requirements of political liberty/participation (i.e. no local practices in violation of the Articles of Confederation), but the finer details of local government would be up to the people of the system rather than imposed from above.

Back