Concordia's sister

I hope this is the thread Knitewing meant to post to, or he'll be very confused... Hurrah for the merge thread command!

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I'm pretty sure that more people than LOAF noticed that one. Perhaps you're just very unobservant...

True....but it's a small detail...and I only ever saw the box once when I bought the game, and then discarded it after that (kinda wish I kept it now...)

65, huh? Hmmm, same hull number as the Enterprise (the carrier, I mean). Wonder if the people meant something by that.

Originally posted by Penguin
I don't have any of my boxes left - take up too much space.

No problem. As a licensed Texas real estate agent, I can help you find a bigger house. If you're in another state, I can refer you.:D

Black Lance doof doing inventory-> :cool:

Originally posted by Lunatic
65, huh? Hmmm, same hull number as the Enterprise (the carrier, I mean). Wonder if the people meant something by that.

I can't see what they could have meant by that. Does the Concordia bear any similarities to the Enterprise?

Mabey they wanted to emphasize it was a big ship with lots of fighters. Some people can miss that fact easily. :D

U.S.S. TICONDEROGA CVA/CVS-14
http://home.pacbell.net/lchevato/

Seems like the whole Americanism in WC isn't just coincidence. You don't use two CV #'s of American carriers on accident, same for all the name similarities. But thats already been discovered I guess and I'm just a late comer to the concept heh.

Americanism in WC?

I dont really see the americanism in WC. In the early games, most ships are named in a british style. IN WC3 Victory and Ajax are traditional British naval names and sheffield and coventry are british cities. Behemoth is also very british in style. In WC2 most of the ships, except for the Gettysburg, have non American names. The names of the Confederation and the Concordia as well as their numbers are the only really american thing in the games. William Tell? Swiss. Beowulf? Old English. Hector? Greek Myth. WC1 has the same trend with ships such as the Formidable and the Tiger's Claw. The only "American" ship is the Austin.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Seems like the whole Americanism in WC isn't just coincidence. You don't use two CV #'s of American carriers on accident, same for all the name similarities. But thats already been discovered I guess and I'm just a late comer to the concept heh.

Um... it would be a connection if the numbers were for ships that shared the same name... as it stands, ships are just assigned numbers... The fact that, since they're all under 100, a couple share numbers with modern US ships isn't exactly suprising...

There are ship names of every sort... including plenty of 'American' ones -- there's a bunch named after presidents (Kennedy, Washington, Lincoln)... there's a lot that are named after famous British ships (Victory, Coventry, Sheffield)... there's even crazy confusing German ones (Dornier?)...

Re: Americanism in WC?

Originally posted by Dragonslayer
I dont really see the americanism in WC. In the early games, most ships are named in a british style. IN WC3 Victory and Ajax are traditional British naval names and sheffield and coventry are british cities. Behemoth is also very british in style. In WC2 most of the ships, except for the Gettysburg, have non American names. The names of the Confederation and the Concordia as well as their numbers are the only really american thing in the games. William Tell? Swiss. Beowulf? Old English. Hector? Greek Myth. WC1 has the same trend with ships such as the Formidable and the Tiger's Claw. The only "American" ship is the Austin.

In all fairness, the US named ships in that fashion too. The trend more recently though, as we evolved away from Britain, was to name ships after significant people or places unlike the British form of mainly naming their ships with adjectives.

In WC3 Tolywn mentions the Pelielu(sp?), that's an American ship. In the novels most of the ships seem to be named after American ships or at least in American style (In End Run there's the TCS Johnny C. Greene? and TCS Tarawa)

There's lots of other "american things" in the games though...look beyond the ships...in WC1/2, the rank insignia is American (down the colonel's insignia being the bald eagle with the 13 arrows!), the salutes are American (although, other countries might do it like that to..), the capitol of the Confederation is Washington D.C., "New Detroit", a bunch of stuff.

Not that's a big deal, but it is in there.

Re: Re: Americanism in WC?

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

the salutes are American (although, other countries might do it like that to.)..

Yes, other countries copied your salute...

Back