Concordia

I thought the structure at the bow was a weapon tracking system of sorts or a secondary bridge.

Hey Q, how about you carve out the PTC and replace it with a forward and aft lauch tube plus a couple deck elevators. Bolt on some heavy turrets, and you'd be better off.

I agree DH, but the main problem would be removing the PTC in the first place. The ship is, after all, built around the PTC.

Penguin: But only if the afore-mentioned weapons serve the good guys. If they serve the evil side, they will generally work perfectly, and then fail at the most critical moment due to human... err, sentient error.

I have a question that only appears stupid to those people with secret WC guides. :p

How did the Concordia go down? I played WC2, then it's two expansions, and the next thing I know in 3, Blair and Taggart are looking at its smoking wreckage. About how much time has passed between the ending of SO2 and WC3?

She was destroyed... over Vespus IIRC, or something similar to that. It was soon after the BoT, when Blair was still recovering from an injury, and Tolwyn was transfered to the Behemoth project just before that. And it's about 2 years between SO2 and WC3.

How about erm.... disassembling just the core and severing all power connections permanently, leaving the barrel still embedded in the hull...?

How about leaving the PTC as a pychological warfare tool?

<Kilrathi intell informs the kat captains that Confed has retired the PTC. After breathing sighs of relief & praises to Sivar the kat captains return to their ships. On the front line as battle is beginning the kats notice the PTC still stuck under Connie. Furious the Kilrathi start tearing apart their intelligence officers for lying to them. While they're occupied, Connie does a broadside with her AMGs...>

Penquin, while Kilrathi believe war is psycholgical, I somehow doubt they'd be impressed.

Q, the PTC formed the keel, but I imagine refit would be akin to a moderate overhaul. It's not exactly like the Behemoth, which is built to only be a gun. Maybe I ought to write a story about such a project and prop it up at my site, only no one would read it.:(

[Edited by Death's Head on 11-19-2000 at 03:41]

Hmm, I dunno, DH. You may be right, but it just seems like there might be more to the PTC than meets the eye...
Say, when was the last time you updated your site? I always check it when you update it, but now I can't even remember when I last checked it :).

While the threads on about the PTC.

Why dosen't confed examin a few Silvar dreadnaugths and then bulit a super Silvar coupled with the bug tech and the cerberus big gun and the behemoth system it would be unstop able.

Or

Blow up half of space and destroy jump nodes around it???

Although it is believed that more than one Sivar dreadnought was eventually produced (although Strike Force Delta did bork the shipyards), the Confederation never encountered the class again -- the Phase Transit Cannon was developed from the debris leftover from Blair's attack on the original Sivar.

The retirement of the PTC in the KS manual is referring to the fact that they were no longer produced -- not that they went and removed them from ships. :)

Special Ops 2 ended on 2667.111 and Wing Commander 3 started on 2669.210. The Concordia was destroyed just before 2669.210, while fighting a rearguard action in the Vespus System. Following the Battle of Earth, the Concordia had been relegated to 'safe' patrols because of the amount of damage she had sustained. Blair was not aboard, as he spent six months in the hospital recovering from wounds at the Battle of Terra, and Tolwyn had been reassigned to be in charge of the force defending Earth.

IIRC wasnt the Sivar destroyed while in Kilrathi space, making it sorta difficult to get to the wreckage afterward? When the Claw went after the battle fleet, a few people were nervous about flying in Kilrathi space and once they slagged the dreadnought didnt they have to haul @$$ to get out of there?

What do we make of the KS Manual's service date of 2653 for the PTC?

Action Stations (pp.50-51) has Confed working since at least the 2630s to develop weaponry that can "punch through" phase shielding, in particular a form of "warhead". KS implies that a functioning PTC is also developed that only later is refined or redesigned based on the Sivar weapon encountered in 2654. Do we have any clue how such an initial PTC "came into service" in 2653?

(Of course, the date could be a typo, but has anyone from Origin confirmed that?)

If the date is accurate, that would be when the Kilrathi weapon first entered service. A year for field testing a new weapon isn't uncommon.

Hey Q, I haven't had time to work on it at all. Perhaps over the holidays I can get back to overhauling it. Right now I'm starting a novel of sorts in some of the free time I have. The rest goes to writing up Trek ship bios which I'll be adding.

Nemesis: An initial PTC could've been purely Confed tech. Then the Tigers Claw salvages some of the Sivar dreadnought & that tech is used to refine the PTC that gets fitted to later Confederation dreadnoughts.
As ships are produced its not uncommon for later built units to be equipped with newer gear.

Death's Head: That's an interesting interpretation that's certainly consistent with the fact (based on SM1 and Voices of War) that the Kilrathi weapon was new as of 2654 and still undergoing tests. But don't we then introduce unwanted ambiguity into the KS Manual's service dates generally? For example, is 2628 the service date for the Kilrathi's laser cannon or Confed's; was it the Kilrathi's or Confed's turreted flak cannon that was retired in 2668? (I assume you're not arguing that each side used and retired a given weapon in the same year.)

In addition, the PTC, so named, is Confed's weapon; the Kilrathi called theirs the "atomic proton-accelerator gun" (Voices of War, Timeline--Year 5136).

Finally, at first blush, I would think the term "service date" would not include time spent on field-testing (but I admit I'm not at all familiar with military practices regarding the use of new technologies). In any event, the summary for the particle cannon in the KS Manual suggests that field-testing is not included in a given service date.

Penguin: I agree, that seems to be the implication of the 2653 date. But on which class of ship was it first introduced? The Confederation-class dreadnought did not enter service until 2657 (if you accept that date in The Confederation Handbook). Perhaps the initial PTC was small enough to be mounted, and only after being refined, based on the Sivar weapon, was it too large and so had to be fitted as part of a keel.

The PTC was too large to be mounted on any other ship than the Confederation-dreadnought, was it not? Given the KS manual errors, I've taken dates as well as stats with a hearty grain of salt.

Considering that the Sivar was, from a few sources I saw, more than two time smaller than the Confed class, and LOAF says that the only official length of the Sivar is only 103 meters, the PTC shouldn'g need much more than a Drayman.:)

I'm going to use speculation here, so watch out. :eek:

Shouldn't we consider the amount of power required to operate it? Kilrathi ships could produce more power than most Terran ships. That could explain why it takes a larger Confederation vessel to do the same amount of work as the Sivar.

Also, the Confederation didn't create the weapon. They used the original (which was designed to work with the Sivar) as a model. Therefore, the Confederation version could encounter problems when used on a Confederation ship.

Back