Concordia Memorial

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Any ideas what became of the Concordia wreck? Obviously the components of the PTC and the power core would have been removed, but what about the rest? Blasted to prevent the enemy from being able to get info on the design, or perhaps turned into a memorial not unlike the Arizona. Given that the Concordia went down (supposedly) with all, if not most, hands on board. Also, she had a much more distinguished record of service then the Arizona.

What would Confed even do with the PTC is was designed for that class of ship. It's not like they can mount it on the nearest cruiser or destroyer.

It was probably demolished in the crash, as Blair put it "A total loss", but the PTC components would still have to be removed or completely destroyed to prevent sensitive material from falling into enemy hands. It's my understanding that the Confederation class mostly was PTC, so there might not be much left for a memorial.

What would Confed even do with the PTC is was designed for that class of ship. It's not like they can mount it on the nearest cruiser or destroyer.

Removed and destroyed... if you had a gun of that size, would you want the enemy figuring out how to work it and possibly improving on it?

Maybe some sort of more permanent memorial could be put in place after the war there is obviously some room for sentimentality as the Victory is turned into a museum.

I cant see why confed would remove the PTC they were allways a problematic weapon and the Kilrathi allready knew how the tech worked as the Sivar mounted a PTC when it attacked the Goddard Colony.

Maybe some sort of more permanent memorial could be put in place after the war there is obviously some room for sentimentality as the Victory is turned into a museum.

I cant see why confed would remove the PTC they were allways a problematic weapon and the Kilrathi allready knew how the tech worked as the Sivar mounted a PTC when it attacked the Goddard Colony.

Well, they weren't quite the same. The Sivar's proton accelerator gun had a long charge and lock time and could not be used against capital ships, only static targets. The PTC was reworked for lower yield and a charge fast enough to be used against capital ships. Given that the Kilrathi did have significant technological prowess, I'd at least have been wary of the possibility that the Kilrathi could capture and refine the weapon further.

The Kilrathi first developed both the particle cannon and the cloaking device. For much of WC1 and WC2, Kilrathi shielding and armor were superior to Terran shielding and armor. They also seemed to have superior jump tech - Kilrathi fighters were more often jump-capable than their Confed counterparts, and the Hakaga-class carriers must have had refined jump engines to be able to use most of the primary jump points, since it is established that size matters when you're trying to use a jump point.

Kilrathi fighters were more often jump-capable than their Confed counterparts, and the Hakaga-class carriers must have had refined jump engines to be able to use most of the primary jump points, since it is established that size matters when you're trying to use a jump point.

You know, I had a theory on that. What if there were multiple jump drives on the ship? You know, one for each quadrant? All working simultaneously, in theory could probably bring a larger ship through a lot faster, however, it would have had to have had one hell of a networking system as, also in theory, if part of it malfunctioned or w/e reason stopped working, a Kilrathi ship could find itself half on one side of the galaxy and half on the other... I know I'm probably way off, but its a working theory.

Well, the way I understand it, the limitation is not on how large the jump point can open, but on how long it can stay open (and maybe having to open it more for larger ships drains the energy of the jump point faster so it can't stay open as long), so the solution would be a jump drive that more efficiently utilizes the jump point.

That is, instead of opening a huge hole in space that the ship then slowly lumbers through, open the jump point right before the front of the ship reaches it, then pump more or less energy into the jump point to follow the contours of the ship.

It is well-known that Confed jump drives are pretty inefficient -- the huge flash is proof enough that way too much energy is being dumped into the jump point. A drive like this should allow larger ships through the jump point (still with a limit) and suppress most of the tell-tale jump flash.

The jumps in the movie weren't that bad for Confed i thought. Thier ships were able to jump pretty smoothly... when they weren't jumping Pulsars.

Back