Concordia is gone

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Today we are honored to premier Klavs' rendered image of the wrecked hull of the TCS Concordia lying half submerged in the waters off the Mistral Coast. Pictures speak better than words, so check it out below - it's a real beauty! We have also included the source image from the Wing Commander 3 intro for comparison.

Concordia was gone. More casualties of the war, disguised as statistics tallied up in news reports or concealed in the falsehoods of a Confed press release.

concordiadown3.gif

We would also like to congratulate Wing Commander CIC on their 9th birthday! Without their detailed feedback the Wing Commander Saga project would not be what it is today. Happy birthday, CIC!

-Tolwyn

Nice, but it's changed a lot about the original. I notice that the Connie is blue in the new pict and leaning in the wrong direction. Even if you were at a different POV it wouldn't look like that.

Nice work but a little too different from the source for my taste.

Then why are Wing Commander 3 ships painted green in Standoff? :)

Well... probably because they're not the named ships shown in Wing Commander 3, so there is room afforded to be contrary. However, not even in the WC3 intro video is the Concordia visibly blue. Blair and Paladin are wearing blue ponchos. By contrast the Concordia looks very gray with a hint of green (which in the orange tint looks olive drab).

Nice rendering, though.

I believe, that it is a design decision:

Wing Commander 1-2: green painting
Wing Commander 3: blue
Wing Commander 4: grey

But you do not need worry: you won't see a blue Concordia in Saga, but it's sister ship.

Personally, I think that the color is truly secondary here. It is simply a beautiful wallpaper :)

I believe, that it is a design decision:

Wing Commander 1-2: green painting
Wing Commander 3: blue
Wing Commander 4: grey

But you do not need worry: you won't see a blue Concordia in Saga, but it's sister ship.

Personally, I think that the color is truly secondary here. It is simply a beautiful wallpaper :)

It is nice looking but it doesn't fit to what we know happened to the Concordia. I wouldn't mind the blue but the ship is also in the wrong position as well.

Then why are Wing Commander 3 ships painted green in Standoff? :)

T.C.CGI nailed it on the head. Theres no rule saying that her class of ship can't be painted any color of the rainbow - but the color of the Concordia herself has been long, long established.

(An arguement can be made, however, that continuity errors like this have existed through out the series. The number of engine plumes on the Tiger's Claw - even the name of the ship its self - has changed with time. However, its an exception, not a rule and it would be in good taste to stick with what is already "established".)

It is nice looking but it doesn't fit to what we know happened to the Concordia. I wouldn't mind the blue but the ship is also in the wrong position as well.

Why doesn't it fit? She went down and there she is lying in the waters off the Mistral Coast. ;)

T.C.CGI nailed it on the head. Theres no rule saying that her class of ship can't be painted any color of the rainbow - but the color of the Concordia herself has been long, long established.

Oh, I agree with you on that. However, we are simply following Origin's WC3 designs, which means, that every ship receives same paint sheme. And, besides, Concordia won't be featured in Saga, her sister ship will. :)

Why doesn't it fit? She went down and there she is lying in the waters off the Mistral Coast. ;)

It's in a different position than the WC3 shot. This cannot be attributed to a different POV, as the bow is leaning to the left in the intro, but to the right in the image. I don't want to be nitpicky, but in this case I think it's necessary because this is an event that we have recorded visually. The Concordia is green and lies off the Mistral coast with its bow leaning towards the left.

Congrats, that is a very nice rendering! The damage and smoke effects look better than what I could come up with, for sure.

However, I also wonder why, if you're going to put that much time and effort into recreating a very specific event, you don't stick closer to the originals. Changing the ship's position does a lot more harm than good, because it pretty much does no good - I have nothing against the new composition, but the original was also nice and your wallpaper would look just as good if you stuck to it. It doesn't improve anything when you change stuff like this.

You can get away with the new paintjob, at least in my eyes, though... ships have had visual differences in WC continuity before (even though official products have way more margin to do that than you or me, and I don't deny doing it :p)... and I sure as hell know that I wouldn't bother re-texturing a whole capship just to release one wallpaper. ;) I think it only shows up as an issue here because it's such an iconic ship, and an iconic moment in WC history. Nobody cares much that I've re-painted a whole fleet of Concordia-class carriers that we had never seen before or since.

Changing the ship's position does a lot more harm than good, because it pretty much does no good

It could be that the Concordia slowly settled, shifting position over time?

It certainly could be justified that way - even though one side would need to have sunk down while the other rose up... of course, you could theorize about the tides and whatnot. But then you could get away with rendering the Concordia face-down on a crater and chalking it up to erosion, global warming, and earthquakes. :p

I'd rather look at it from the more obvious "hey, let me make a wallpaper about something" point of view. I mean, Klav probably meant the render as his re-imagining of the WC3 crash site, instead of what would happen to the Concordia if it slowly settled, shifting position over time... and I'm simply left wondering as to the reasons why he decided to make these changes.

For whatever faults it may have, that picture is gorgeous!
Aye, I'm starting (starting?) to sound like a nitpicker, so I should quote this for truth - it's definitely a very nice render.

Great work Klavs! :D

While I can appreciate those concerns regarding the POV and the paint scheme, they shouldn't detract from what is a very impressive rendering.

Are those little black specks supposed to be crewmen? Also, could you guys please provide a direct link to the image? I've tried saving it to use as a background image, but your image viewer doesn't seem to allow it.

Cheers,

Bryn

Are those little black specks supposed to be crewmen? Also, could you guys please provide a direct link to the image? I've tried saving it to use as a background image, but your image viewer doesn't seem to allow it.

It does. You just have to select "show background image". Anyway, here it is: http://www.wcsaga.com/images/stories/20071308/MistralCoast1.jpg

I'd rather look at it from the more obvious "hey, let me make a wallpaper about something" point of view. I mean, Klav probably meant the render as his re-imagining of the WC3 crash site, instead of what would happen to the Concordia if it slowly settled, shifting position over time... and I'm simply left wondering as to the reasons why he decided to make these changes.

I believe (although I might be wrong), that Klavs was forced to make a few changes, because the image used for the background used to be a real picture.

Back