Concordia-class Super Cruiser

Deadeye79 said:
Plus if you want to get technical ST used Intrepid years before WC was thought up but the point really is moot

And the British and Americans were using the name Intrepid centuries before Star Trek, so your post made no sense anyways.

There was an Intrepid in End Run, I am not sure what year that was nor when ST used Intrepid in the first place.

Anxiety said:
There was an Intrepid in End Run, I am not sure what year that was nor when ST used Intrepid in the first place.

The Vulcan-crewed starship of the U.S.S. Intrepid was first seen in the TOS episode "The Immunity Syndrome", first aired on January 19, 1968. However, as noted earlier, the Intrepid name has been seen in United States naval history centuries before Star Trek showed up to steal the traditional name from the then-active Essex-class carrier.

This is the first Royal Navy ship I can find named Intrepid.

http://www.cronab.demon.co.uk/I.HTM
INTREPID,64. (1770 Woolwich. HS 1810) 1793 Capt. Charles Carpenter. Near old Cape Francois on 21 April 1796 she captured the French national ship PERCANTE,26, with a complement of 200 men. The prize was taken into the Royal Navy as JAMAICA. 1797 Capt. R. PARKER, 4/97.
1798 Capt. W. HARGOOD, 3/98 to the East Indies on 29 April 1799. 1803 INTREPID returned from the East Indies to Portsmouth in February 1803 and sailed from there on the 21st to be paid off at Chatham. She remained under repair their for some time. 1805 Capt. Hon. P. WODEHOUSE, Nore. 1807 ditto, Mediterranean. At the end of the year Capt. R. WORSLEY, St. Helen's.
1808 Capt. Christopher NESHAM, Leeward Is. In February 1809 she took part in the reduction of Martinique when about 400 seamen and marines from INTREPID and YORK were employed in getting the heavy cannon, mortars and howitzers up to Mount Sourier from the eastern side of Fort Edward. A task of the utmost difficulty, owing to the rains and the steepness of the roads. Nevertheless a battery of four 24-pounders and four mortars was soon mounted and ready for service. The following day more guns were got up and, within five days of the batteries opening, the enemy was driven from his defences and the whole interior of the work ploughed up by shot and shell.
1811 Receiving ship at Plymouth.

There was a USS Intrepid around the same time. She was a captured Tripolitan bomb ketch that Stephen Decatur commanded in the raid on Tripoli harbor to burn the USS Philidelphia.

I believe there's an HMS Enterprise during the Age of Sail, and the Star Trek ships are named in honor of USS Entreprise of World War II, the single most decorated carrier in the fleet, when you include her air wing. For a WC carrier to be named Enterprise and draw on that record would be a symbol.

Not using names because they seem to infringe on IP (but don't) is silly, especially with honorable names with long histories (such as seem to be in short supply for modern aircraft carriers).

My repsonse wasn't pointless I was pointing out that ST didn't infringe on WC for the ship names. They infringed from somewhere it just wasn't WC

One more point on the Interpid in Star Trek (not that it really matters it's not like either series stole it off of each other, it's just a perfect and overused ship name) you've all seem to forgotten that there was a USS Intrepid mentioned in the original series of Star Trek.

Spien said:
One more point on the Interpid in Star Trek (not that it really matters it's not like either series stole it off of each other, it's just a perfect and overused ship name) you've all seem to forgotten that there was a USS Intrepid mentioned in the original series of Star Trek.

As it's been pointed out earlier, Star Trek tends to reuse historical ship names. Oh, and it's already been mentioned in the following posts:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=234201&postcount=44
http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=234180&postcount=42
http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=233747&postcount=29
http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=233711&postcount=22

You may want to read the thread next time before making another post just to add to your postcount. :D

Haesslich said:
The Vulcan-crewed starship of the U.S.S. Intrepid was first seen in the TOS episode "The Immunity Syndrome", first aired on January 19, 1968. However, as noted earlier, the Intrepid name has been seen in United States naval history centuries before Star Trek showed up to steal the traditional name from the then-active Essex-class carrier.

That ship is mentioned right here

Intrepid was also the class the USS Voyager was in Star Trek: Voyager, and the Intrepid herself wasn't seen or mentioned.

There's a USS Intrepid specifically mentioned in TNG, but it's the ship Worf's adoptive father was serving on when it rescued him from Khitomer, and is supposed to be an Excelsior-class vessel.

I don't know about liking those ship names, Shipgate, but they are definitely different from what's being discussed here.

*shrugs*

Viva la difference!

Moonsword said:
I don't know about liking those ship names, Shipgate, but they are definitely different from what's being discussed here.

*shrugs*

Viva la difference!

Shipgate's getting into Patrick O'Brien perhaps a little too much. :D

Moonsword said:
There's a USS Intrepid specifically mentioned in TNG, but it's the ship Worf's adoptive father was serving on when it rescued him from Khitomer, and is supposed to be an Excelsior-class vessel.

There was also a Constitution class Intrepid in the original series that was destroyed with all hands aboard in the episode "The Immunity Syndrome". It seems that this is just another one of the names that gets recycled again and again.

Intrepid was also the class the USS Voyager was in Star Trek: Voyager, and the Intrepid herself wasn't seen or mentioned.

There was also a Constitution class Intrepid in the original series that was destroyed with all hands aboard in the episode "The Immunity Syndrome". It seems that this is just another one of the names that gets recycled again and again.

Hooray! I'm not the only moron who doesn't read the entire thread before posting. This whole thread is going to heck with trekkies trying to show their knowledge. I admit to being one of them.

Spien, you may want to avoid calling someone who's been around a lot longer than you a moron in this case... though I hope to god this thread gets locked soon. It's outlived its usefulness anyways.

I'll second that one we have all gotten Intrepided out at this point and no more useful points can really be made anymore

Back