Concordia-class Super Cruiser

Well it might not add much, but Concordia is the Roman goddess of harmony and peace, or agreement and understanding (The "understanding" bit is the reason a lot of schools like to use it).

Kind of an ironic name for ships of war, which is probably why there's no real world warships that carry the name, but it sounds good and it's original and that's what's important.

Spien said:
Well it might not add much, but Concordia is the Roman goddess of harmony and peace, or agreement and understanding (The "understanding" bit is the reason a lot of schools like to use it).

Kind of an ironic name for ships of war, which is probably why there's no real world warships that carry the name, but it sounds good and it's original and that's what's important.

This probably doesn't relate to the discussion, but there was a British blockade runner of this name, which was destroyed to prevent its capture in the late 1800's.

The world is full of schools named Concordia (my mom even went to one)... but the one in Austin is more than likely the one that inspired the ship (since that's where WC2 was developed).

They don't seem to use a lot of historical ship names in WC; We don't see ships with names like Enterprise, Nimitz, or other famous ship names. They're usually refrenced from a phyiscal item (Concordia University, Mount St. Helens, Midway and Tarawa are all examples of this).

Durandal said:
They don't seem to use a lot of historical ship names in WC; We don't see ships with names like Enterprise, Nimitz, or other famous ship names. They're usually refrenced from a phyiscal item (Concordia University, Mount St. Helens, Midway and Tarawa are all examples of this).

What about the TCS Intrepid, or the TCS Lexington?

EDIT: Looking at the CIC Encyclopedia's ship list, I see the TCS Ark Royal. And who can forget the TCS Victory?

Lexington was a famous battle during the American Revolution, which means it may prove to be the exception to the rule ('Cause I'm pretty sure there is a USS Lexington) even though it technically falls under the same auspicies as the Midway and Tarawa (Which both were islands invaded by Allied Forces during WWII), but I've never heard of Intrepid being used before. I could be wrong, though.

I'm pretty sure there are dozens of WC ships that refer to historical figures - the TCS Washington, the TCS Bainbridge, the TCS Kennedy, etc.

Edit: I'm also fairly sure no one invaded Midway.

USS Lexington CV-2 (Lexington Class) and CV-16 (Essex Class) the latter is at Corpus Christi I think. USS Intrepid CV-11? Is in New York. No one Invaded Midway. It was a Huge battle from june 5-7. the USS Enteprise CV-6 USS Yorktown CV-5 and Hornet CV-6 (Not the CV-12 at Alameda) Engaged the IJN Soryu (Like in action stations) IJN Kaga IJN Hiryu and IJN Akagi. We sank all carriers with the loss of the USS Yorktown. Later in 1943 the USS Midway (Midway Class) was laid down. The TCS Midway takes alot of features from the USS Midway these include Heavy Defence (USS Midway had Shitloads of turrets and an amoured flight deck which is like the Multiple launch tubes) Massive size, and fighter compliment If you need anymore info in WW2 Carriers and ships and whatnot contact me ;)

I can't remember if we actually did invade Midway, or if the troops got there after the bombs dropped and set up camp. I do know it's still in use as a Naval Aviation base today.

And good call with the Lexington data. I'd forgotten precisely what the actual facts on it were.

Midway was a US base. The Japanese wanted to invade it, but a very famous naval battle prevented them from doing so.

Durandal said:
I can't remember if we actually did invade Midway, or if the troops got there after the bombs dropped and set up camp. I do know it's still in use as a Naval Aviation base today.

And good call with the Lexington data. I'd forgotten precisely what the actual facts on it were.
As first post says anymore USN info talk to me Also youre thinking of Wake Island. The godamn enviromentalists found some Bird so Midway was shut down in the 70's. Rather silly I think

Thanks for the historical data, folks. Millitary history isn't my strong suite; I'd have asked my friend Chris more about Midway, 'cept he's still asleep.

Durandal said:
They don't seem to use a lot of historical ship names in WC; We don't see ships with names like Enterprise, Nimitz, or other famous ship names.
A certain sci-fi franchise that shall remain nameless has already overused the name Enterprise to the point where we'd have to commit collective suicide if an Enterprise was to show up in WC.

I think it's been overused enough in real life, thank you....

And personally, I wasn't too enthusiastic that the afforementioned franchise chose to name a ship class Intrepid, either.

Intrepid is a reasonable name for a ship - as it can be either a rah rah rah patriotic historical reference or just a noble ideal sort of name.

I'm reletively sure that:

A) Wing Commander didn't invent the name Intrepid.

and

B) Voyager (1995) came out before Wing Commander IV (1996).

C) USS Intrepid was A) a revolutionary war frigate B) an Essex class Aircraft Carrier
Really that is a silly comment about ST messing with WC

Back