Conceptual Design: Bhantkara Mk.II

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
I used the program Ac3d (www.ac3d.org) to create this simple reference model for a conceptual Kilrathi Carrier. The picture attatched to this post is an overview of the model, it has no textures or detail. I wanted to know what people thought of it from a design standpoint.

Attachments

• bhantkara_mkII.jpg
    bhantkara_mkII.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 123
Well, the first thing it reminds me of is the Kilrathi corvette from WC3.

Then it reminds me of the fighters in "The Last Starfighter". Not the Gunstar, the enemy fighters.

I just wanted to know if anyone thought it showed promise. I've got a large pile of conceptual ship sketches, and this was my favorite Kilrathi capial ship.

It looks nice. Maybe make it a bit more assymetrical to make it tie in more with WCIII Kilrathi designs and beyond.

You probably want a different name/history - the Bhantkara-class was among the very last Kilrathi ships to enter service (in the very last year of the war, even after the Battle of Earth).

It isn't tube-like enough to be a good carrier - carriers need long flight decks to store/prepare/launch fighters. I get more of a "Heavy Corvette" vibe from this.

Here is a drawing of the carrier. I know, it's lopsided, but it's hard to draw perfectly even:

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 130
oh ok, so this is your own design, I thought it was some unused WC3 or WC4 design from your title. Interesting design, if I am looking at it correctly you have a single pass through flight deck and six launch tubes? If that whole area between the two fork can be used as hanger space it shouldn't be a bad carrier but it still looks too small to me, maybe stack and stagger the launch tubes.

Even though it's spikey and edgy, it doesn't look kilrathi at all. All kilrathi have a distinctive main body or middle section or whatever you want to call it. Look at the Dralthi, for example. It has those two pods with wings attached, the Bhantkara has a hexagonal main body with spikes attached to it, and so forth. In your design, the middle section id integrated into the strut connecting the two wings or whatever they are, and thus it's not very obvious. though it has those spikes at one side of the main body, they don't really look like they are part of the main hull. And those attachments to the main hull, those triangular wings are far too big in comparison to the main body. Just look at the WC3 kilrathi caps. The main hull is the most prominent part, while the attachments are less volumious/prominent. And it lacks the typical assymetry of the late Kilrathi designs.

How about making it for another race whose ships we don't see like the firekan? As an Avian race it would make sense for them to have a more wide design, plus that design looks somewhat bird like, so I say make it a Firekan ship.

SonOfStorm said:
How about making it for another race whose ships we don't see like the firekan? As an Avian race it would make sense for them to have a more wide design, plus that design looks somewhat bird like, so I say make it a Firekan ship.

We don't know if the Firekkans have that sort of ship-building capability yet, much less if they've got the resources to support even one carrier. We've seen at least one Firekkan using an old Confed-design freighter, however, in End Run.. and that's it. :D

BurningWolf said:
I thought that was in Freedom Flight.

It was. I made a typo in that last post. We don't hear about the Firekkans again till Fleet Action, and no notes about carriers or what sort of navy they have at that time.

The Privateer Online documentation includes plans for Firekkan-built ships -- it's not canon, but it's a good indication of where things could have gone in a more perfect universe.

The design is pretty, but I agree that it does not look like a Kilrathi carrier. maybe if you make it more assimetrical it can be some sort of corvette.

Back