comments to "Privateer - das Erwachen"

That sounds promising..

Concerning Ms. Manley: Unfortunately we haven't gotten in touch yet. I'll forward the PM I sent her to her email address.

Hm... sounds like I need to do a little phonecall... well, it's quite funny: just some time ago Dana and I lived just 20 min away from each other...

But now she travels between my town and hannover...

Deacan

Btw... the banner would make a great shirt...

I have gotten word from Manley, we'll try to coordinate translations with her at the helm and me acting as some kind of "technical editor", or all-round second pair of eyes. Let's see if that works out.
We both agree that having two translators doing different parts of the same text ruins the style, but editing and getting into pace might slow us down at the beginning. So guys, have patience (or learn German - hard, but worthwhile..).

Perhaps you're find this useful:

This short text is printed on the backside of the new version:

Book I (Sturm)

In einer fernen Zukunft kämpft ein Teil der Spezies Mensch noch immer gegen die eigene Art. Mitten im Chaos sucht ein Söldner, ein Privateer, verzweifelt nach Antworten.
Er wurde betrogen, belogen und hintergangen. Auf seinen Kopf ist eine Prämie ausgesetzt.
Seine Freunde sind jetzt seine Feinde. Und alles nur, weil er eine Frage gestellt hatte.
Doch die Antwort kosten vor allem eines: Blut.

Manchmal muss man sich an das Böse wenden, um etwas gutes zu tun...
Ein Sturm zieht auf.

...and Book II (Stille)

In einer fernen Zukunft kämpft ein Teil der Spezies Mensch noch immer gegen die eigene Art. Vieles hat sich verändert, seit dem der Sturm durch das System tobte. Ein Söldner, ein Privateer, der nach langer Suche auf seine Fragen die Antworten nur dadurch erhielt, indem er die Fronten wechselte, sieht sich jetzt einer neuen Bedrohung gegenüber.
Eine alte Gemeinschaft tritt wieder ans Tageslicht und schlägt unerbittlich zu.

Wer ist ein Freund, wer ist ein Feind?
In der Stille wächst das neue Unheil heran.

Deacan
-still hard working for a simple goal-

PS: it's sucks when nearly anything stands still and you are forced to wait for answers from several office... all I can do now is simply keep on writing

This warrants attention of you guys out there - so let's translate...

Deacan said:

Book I (Storm)

In a distant future, parts of the human species still fight each other. In the midst of turmoil, a mercenary, a privateer, is desperately seeking for answers.
He was betrayed, double-crossed, and cheated. There's mones on his head.
Former friends now prove to be enemies. And all that because of one question.
But the currency to pay for the answer is mostly one thing: Blood.
Manchmal muss man sich an das Böse wenden, um etwas gutes zu tun...
Ein Sturm zieht auf.

...and Book II (Silence)

In a distant future, parts of the human species still fight each other. Since the storm raged in the system, much has changed. A mercenary, a privateer, who needed to change sides to get the answers he was looking for now faces a new adversary.
Something old awakes in the community, lashing out without mercy.
Who is now friend, who enemy?
In silence, new evil is growing.

Deacan

PS: it's sucks when nearly anything stands still and you are forced to wait for answers from several office... all I can do now is simply keep on writing

I'm not really content with this translation, but I won't polish it more - for matters of discussion I think it gets the point across.

@ criticalmass: once again - thanks!

Btw: manchmal = sometimes... or did you simply forget this one line... *smile*

Deacan

Ooops, jumped clear over that line. But yesterday wasn't the best day anyway.

Okay, missing sentence from the back covers:

Sometimes you need to shake hands with evil to do good.
A storm is rising.

Since we're at it, this sentence shows the difficulties of translating: The literal meaning would have been "you need to turn to evil to achieve good", which works in a way, but sounds awkward in another.
In a story, you can skirt around those issues a bit, use different metaphors, or structure sentences in a slightly different way, but cover blurbs are extremely condensed and have multiple layers of meaning - that's why I'm not really happy with the text.

Now to something completely different:
You talk about waiting to get word from offices. Is that about your future publication plans, or just something unrelated that eats up your time?

criticalmass said:
Now to something completely different:
You talk about waiting to get word from offices. Is that about your future publication plans, or just something unrelated that eats up your time?

Yeah, the first part of your question shows my problem. Just sitt and wait...
And... my time is eaten by the keyboard of my laptop and the work for novel II - it's quite not easy to got a list of points a few word and to make full pages out of it.

Deacan

PS: Since last night Jacob and I starts to love M$... and I feel happy that I still use Win98... besides XP.

Hallo,

Deacan said:

Book I (Sturm)

Deacan

Alles Andere ist ok, nur dieser eine Satz hier mit dem Blut liesst sich wie von einem Groschenroman abgeschrieben!
Sorry nur meine Meinung!

...kostet vor allem eines: Blut.

Better? Or did you mean the entire sentence?

If so, then make a better one.

:p

Deacan

mit t klingt es besser :) oder du schreibst lieber:

Doch die Antworten kosten vor allem eines: Blut.

;) das passt vielleicht noch besser!!!

Hallo,

Deacan said:
...kostet vor allem eines: Blut.

Better? Or did you mean the entire sentence?

If so, then make a better one.

:p

Deacan

In einer fernen Zukunft kämpft ein Teil der Spezies Mensch noch immer gegen die eigene Art. Mitten im Chaos sucht ein Söldner, ein Privateer, verzweifelt nach Antworten.
Er wurde betrogen, belogen und hintergangen. Auf seinen Kopf ist eine Prämie ausgesetzt.
Seine Freunde sind jetzt seine Feinde. Und alles nur, weil er eine Frage gestellt hatte.

Ich wollte eigentlich ganz weg von dem 'Blut' Ding. Das ist (mir) einfach zu B-Movie(eigentlich (Groschen)Roman) mässig und dafür ist das was ich bisher gelesen hab zu gut geschrieben.
Versuch:
"Jetzt heisst es die richtige Antwort selbst zu finden!"
oder:
"Doch einfache Antworten gibt es nicht, sondern nur neue Fragen!"

He, wann geht es weiter bzw. wann kann man endlich das Buch bei Dir bestellen?

@ BarFly: I just wait like you do! There are still some questions open besides the copyrights...
Second: The novel will be printed on books on demand - what simplay means that the first books need to be paid by me, since I'm not be able to produce masses of them (the minimum is 8 copies, from this it's steep up on the nummer 4, so: 12, 16, 20 etc.) by myself.

Deacan

PS: just keep regulary a view inside this thread. I'll keep you informed.

...well, something new:

Jacob Hudson has done this for our website

macs.jpg

Yes, thats a new version of the Pad (or MACS from the novel)...

And here is the little thing online and ready for contact:

macs2.jpg

Nice try... to sad this is not for sale at ebay...

:D

Deacan

Update: book I is now in the hands of my beloved wife, she is working for the correction of some errors and stuff (it's quite hell of work and I'm extremly happy with her work and her love for this work...), book II is now on page 213 (!), book III is an early stage of progress, a basic script is done.

Hudson and I create also an first "list" for the cardgame, we agreed that all cards based upon the book(s) will be unique, so you don't need to use them to play the game - there are just for fun. We try to put all wingman from the game in this cardgame - so we've got a question:

Is there a complete list of all wingman from the game somewere around the net???

Deacan

Back