Command & Conquer Rivals Announced (June 9, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
E3 2018 is unfolding over the next week, and Electronic Arts held its press event today to highlight its new games coming in the year ahead. Battlefield V and Anthem have stirred some of the most interest and look fairly neat. No new Wing Commander games seem to be on the horizon for 2018, but EA did announce another mobile Command & Conquer game, Rivals, in the "Clash Royale" style. It's streamlined significantly compared to classic RTS games, but the fast-paced style will probably prove to be pretty popular. It looks fairly sharp graphically, and there seems to be a bit of depth in the form of different commanders and a complementary suite of tactics necessary to win. We shared the news about Red Alert Online earlier this spring and spent a lot of time talking about how this franchise seems to keep bouncing back. It doesn't surprise me anymore, C&C has more lives than a Kilrathi!

--
Original update published on June 9, 2018

All these old IPs being brought back and we still don't have Kilrathi princess maker. :/

Besides, the clash royale style niche has to be saturated by now. We may be back to no game soon enough.

I'll take a hip iOS revival over no game any day of the week.
I would not. No game can keep the nostalgia active while a really shitty stuff can kill it. I know that a certain film turned my hype for a an old franchise into complete disinterest for its new iterations.

I know that a certain film turned my hype for a an old franchise into complete disinterest for its new iterations.
Two words, eight letters or a different one? If it it's the one I'm referring to, I'm right there with you.

EDIT: Okay - those conditions are a tad vague. If the second word ends in a "k", I'm there with you. If it ends in an "s", I'm more in the area of "increasingly annoyed with", but not yet completely disinterested in. Yet.

Last edited:
Be very, very careful what you wish for. There are games worse than no game.

I think that's a pessimistic way of looking at it. Bad games exist, sure, but even bad games have people that love them. There's a lot of hate out there for Wing Commander Academy, Privateer 2, Arena, etc, but there's lots of people out there who just adored these games in their childhoods, and I wouldn't give up any of them for a second. And I'd kill for something along those lines again rather than have no game. In fact, I think some weirdo mobile turn based strategy game, old school board game or choose your own adventure novel in WC series would be absolutely lovely.

I would not. No game can keep the nostalgia active while a really shitty stuff can kill it. I know that a certain film turned my hype for a an old franchise into complete disinterest for its new iterations.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to know what that's referring to or not, but I think it's pretty tacky when people claim reboots ruined their favorite series. If you don't like a particular element, just move on. Nothing changed about the part you did like.

Two words, eight letters or a different one? If it it's the one I'm referring to, I'm right there with you.

EDIT: Okay - those conditions are a tad vague. If the second word ends in a "k", I'm there with you. If it ends in an "s", I'm more in the area of "increasingly annoyed with", but not yet completely disinterested in. Yet.
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to know what that's referring to or not, but I think it's pretty tacky when people claim reboots ruined their favorite series. If you don't like a particular element, just move on. Nothing changed about the part you did like.
The Last Jedi. It didn't ruin the SW series for me (I still love the universe), but it made me apathic to new releases. Or how the Valérian movie did a lot to kill my inner hyped fanboy. See, a release like the Wing Commander Arcade game, even if I haven't played it, I approve, if only because Star Soldier shows a love for the franchise and its universe, but from the echoes I'm having of this CnC mobile game... I just want to sigh and remember the good old days of Red Alert 2 instead.

I'm more unhappy about a bad/ average game when it's the *only* game.
Armarda, Academy etc they were released when the franchise was thriving. Little additions for the hardcore, chances are they wouldn't impact the credibility of the franchise one way or another (and being one of the hardcore I'm happy to have them).

Arena I was less happy about as it's all we got and I worried that gamers and suits alike would look to it and see an excuse not to bring the franchise back. If I truly gave up on the franchise ever returning I'd probably be more grateful for it, but a little bit of hope refuses to die.

C&C has more hope than Wing Commander, so mobile games I do see as a negative. If they're not popular it'll be a bit of evidence that the franchise isn't popular and incentive not to return to PC games.

Now if the mobile games are successful whilst staying true to the core of the franchise that's another matter. I still won't play them, I've never had a good mobile experience - but I'd be glad they were out there. I tend to assume mobile titles won't be though as the market is so flooded it's really hard to predict what will take off.

Last edited:
Back