Comic books

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Hey I havent been around in a month or so. Too much work at school. Im a comic book fan and i was wondering if there are any on the CIC? If there are some, what do you read and what creators do you like? Im a big fan of Lee/LOebs Batman run, currently reading the Ultimates, Formerly known as the justice league, supreme power, JLA/Avengers, 1602, anything Hellboy is in, and Empire?

I like awful media tie-in comics... I'm staring at five boxes full of Star Trek comics as we speak. And I have a bunch of issues of the 2001: A Space Odyssey comic series within reach! It's not an adaptation... it's actually new stories based on the 2001 movie.

haha. well everyone has their taste. Never heard of the 2001 comics but i shudder at the thought of them. Star Trek comics were never my scene. Even Star Wars comics dont do it for me and i love the movies

The only comic book I pick up regularly anymore is Iron Man. My favorite of all time is Batman: The Dark Night Returns.

Theres nothing out there at the moment that really impresses me. Leauge Of Extrodinary Gentlemen is good though and Ultimate Spider-Man has a few moments.

I dig older stuff. EC Comics reprints, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and Watchmen miniseries. Batman: Son The Demon. Some of the Star Trek TNG comics aren't bad either; I esp liked #18.

I'm a really big fan of the 2099 series'. They're pretty hard to find around here, but in the past year I've been pretty lucky buying them at discount stores for a quarter or so each. I'm also trying to find the rest of the Battletech comics to complete the collection. But like others here, there's not much out there that's new that I like.

A WC comic book would be perfect. I remember thinking about how cool it would be back on WC1 time. I remember reading some SW comics back then, and how that medium would suit the WCU. The Battle of Terra could make quite a graphic novel.

Yeah but to see it in a graphic novel would be great too, they did in SW for the Heir to the Empire series (Tim Zahn did a good enough job to not need a comic series, but SW sells, no matter how crappy the artwork)

If they did do a WC comic, would they base it around the exploits of Blair, or would they hit the "Expanded universe" (using term loosely) of Bondarevesky. Of course you would have to have Tolwyn in it, you seem to not be able to have WC without him.

I want a comic book that doesn't revolve around a pilot, but rather around the leaders of the opposing sides. Roughly, a comic about Tolwyn (and a handful of his underlings, such as Blair, Bear, Deveraux, Taggart, Ralgha, etc etc) and Thrakhath (along with the Emperor, Melek, Jukaga, and possibly some others) . . . And George Washington.

Comic books are :cool:

Like Bob said, The Red Star is pretty awesome. It's a sci-fi book about Communism in the future. It's not run by either of the big two publishers, so the releases are a bit sluggish. The artwork is absolutely fantastic though, by far the best I've ever seen in a comic book.

DC's Vertigo line has a couple good ones currently as well. Hellblazer is awesome. It's a spinoff of Swamp Thing about a grizzled British sorceror type who fights demons. There's currently a movie in production based on it starring Keanu Reeves that looks absolutely terrible. It's been running since the late 80's, so there's a bit of history involved, but it's definitely worth getting into if you're into macabre stuff.

Another good one that I just started reading is Y: The Last Man. It's about a disease that kills every man on the planet except a man named Yorick and his pet monkey, named Ampersand. He's ultimately trying to reunite with his fiancée who was literally across the world when the disaster struck, but all these people are chasing after him: scientists who want to study him to figure out how to protect future generations from the disease, feminists who think the world's better off without men and want to finish him off.. It's quite good.

Those are the only current books that I really enjoy. I'm also going back and catching up on all the books I missed from when I last read comics as a child. There've been a lot of fantastic stories that have been released since then that are all available in trade paperback form. Preacher and Transmetropolitan are the ones I'm currently spending my paychecks on.

Back