Collection of short stories

Dahan

Rear Admiral
I am curious for others opinion.
There has been many fan fictions from many people/groups and many of them are on going ie:

Holding the Line Series
Front Line Series
Hell's Unicorn Series
2628 - An officer's beginning

I am wondering if anyone is interested of creating a collection of short stories of Wing Commander fan fiction.
Something similiar to the short stories of other series for example
Star Wars - Tales from the New Republic, Tales from the Empire

I am sure everyone has a story to share and I am sure people would like to add something to keep the Wing Commander fantasy alive with some contribution.

Well if Loaf is interested, Maj.Striker is interested, I am keen then it is a start. Any suggestion how/where to put them on? On this forum or on a whole new site?

I've been working on making a fanfiction site. Originally it was just my material but I'd host anything that anyone else wants to contribute. I'm not the greatest at graphics so if anyone wants to help out on that then it'd be appreciated.

I've been working on my two major projects simultaniously when I get the time, I'd give a few short stories a shot though.

If we're going to put together a little anthology, we should probably collect all the fiction off-list and then post it together at a website. We can present some fan art, too, if there are people who'd like to do that instead.

Kind of a "15th anniversary celebration" sort of a thing. Someone should probably sign on as editor (Dahan, I suppose), and we might consider deciding on some sort of 'theme' for the collection (or on the other hand, deciding *against* having some sort of theme).

I think a theme is a good idea and would sort of unify the stories. Although each author, I'm sure, will have a unique way of spinning their tale at least a common background would unite the stories. If we do take this offline, make sure and email me: daniel.goodwin@mchsi.com. Can't wait to get started... :)

I am happy to contribute something to this. I'm not good of creating/maintain websites and I would leave that to the technical wizards on this forum.
I would recommend Plywood Fiend to sign on as Editor as well, because he has a good sense of fan fiction writing and I am sure he has alot of contribute.
In terms of theme, we could incorporate fan fiction into the following -

Pre Kilrathi War (2628-2634)
Early Kilrathi War (2634-2654)
Mid Kilrathi War (2655-2668)
Battle of Earth to End of Kilrathi War (2668-2669)
End of Kilrathi War to Black Lance Crisis (2669-2671)
Black Lance Crisis - Pre Nephilim Threat (2671-2681)
Nephilim Threat (2681 - ?)

This is only an idea to what I have for themes. I am all ears for ideas for the anthology.

Dahan said:
I am happy to contribute something to this. I'm not good of creating/maintain websites and I would leave that to the technical wizards on this forum.
I would recommend Plywood Fiend to sign on as Editor as well, because he has a good sense of fan fiction writing and I am sure he has alot of contribute.
In terms of theme, we could incorporate fan fiction into the following -

Pre Kilrathi War (2628-2634)
Early Kilrathi War (2634-2654)
Mid Kilrathi War (2655-2668)
Battle of Earth to End of Kilrathi War (2668-2669)
End of Kilrathi War to Black Lance Crisis (2669-2671)
Black Lance Crisis - Pre Nephilim Threat (2671-2681)
Nephilim Threat (2681 - ?)

This is only an idea to what I have for themes. I am all ears for ideas for the anthology.

I'd be happy to serve as a co-editor if you wish it or if it is required; and i'd also be happy to contribute via writing. To that end, would there be any requirement on length of stories? Would you wish to keep them fairly short or could they be long enough to require the deaths of seventeen large trees in order to have them printed off.

Alongside with wc era's, another possibility would be to include sub categories, i.e. drama, romance, comedy, etc. That might just make life awkward though. It'd probably depend on how many fan fictions you got in the end.

I'd be happy to serve as a co-editor if you wish it or if it is required; and i'd also be happy to contribute via writing. To that end, would there be any requirement on length of stories? Would you wish to keep them fairly short or could they be long enough to require the deaths of seventeen large trees in order to have them printed off.

Alongside with wc era's, another possibility would be to include sub categories, i.e. drama, romance, comedy, etc. That might just make life awkward though. It'd probably depend on how many fan fictions you got in the end.

Yeap I like that idea it would things more interesting
I message DJ Erik to get details about the website he is offering to do. We got seven people so far and that is a good start. the more the better so it should be interesting how far we can go.

I'm in.

Here are a few suggestions for themes...
1. The 10 year gap between '55 and '65 (approx. WC & WC2) has almost nothing written about it.
2. Focus around one event like the destruction of the TCS Tiger's Claw. The stories would have something (large or small, directly or indirectly) with this event.
3. The "String" Method - situations and characters are connected through each of the stories. For example, a minor character in one story will be the main character in another. A small event mentioned in that second story will be elaborated on in the next. Basically, a small part of one story will be the focus of the next.

Thematically speaking, (romance, drama, comedy, etc.) we shouldn't limit the stories in this way. A good light-hearted piece works well next to an intense drama.

Well like I said earlier any stories should be good.
We can have a collection from the Confederation front and one from the Kilrathi front, maybe some from the Landreich or the frontier worlds (Border Worlds) so start getting some ideas and start writing away. Hope to read some of them

First of all: Guys, it's a great idea! The community has produced quite a number of fan fiction over the years, and a lot of it is almost forgotten already. So it would be great to get a common effort under way and to revive that branch, since just posting stories in crius is quite cumbersome to follow up, and frustrating if there's no continuity.

I don't know what you envision for it, but the idea reminds me somewhat of a writing project called Clockwork Storybook which was popular a couple of years ago (now only reachable via Wayback, sorry): A loose community of writers with a common setting (in this case a city in a half-mystical, half-modern culture), and sometimes shared characters or events. I think a framework somewhat similar to that would on the one hand help readers to get oriented quickly, and to hold it all together on the other. For shared events and background story I think we're pretty much set; but a common timeframe or even a couple of well-defined places (carrier, orbital station, planet colony) would be a nice basis to build stories on...

Going along with Criticalmass's suggestion, it might be a good idea to go back through this forum and look at some of the old fanfiction. Some of it may be pretty good and should be included in this attempt. If older stories are selected they can be used as is, or the author may want to continue the story because of the new interest.

thanks the feedback from everyone. so far there has been ideas and suggestion to how we approach this project.

Going along with Criticalmass's suggestion, it might be a good idea to go back through this forum and look at some of the old fanfiction. Some of it may be pretty good and should be included in this attempt. If older stories are selected they can be used as is, or the author may want to continue the story because of the new interest.

This is a good idea, however there maybe a problem I do not know if anyone had difficulty but I had problems searching for other fan fiction and found litte. so far the main fan fiction people have been reading has been Plywood Fiend's popular "Front Line" Series, my "Officer's beginning Series, QauilPilot's "Squad Foxhound" and DJ Erik's "Hell's Unicorns".
If there are any other fan fiction which has been seen for a while let me know and I would like to take a read of them and see where we can put them in. At the moment we are looking for people who might be able to offer any assistance who could put up a website or something for all the short stories, otherwise we would use this forum. Personally and I might speak for others, it would not be a good idea as it might get cluttered or somewhat, but I am open to any suggestions what so ever.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and suggestions
Hopefully this project becomes a success!!

Back