Cockpits or not?

NuclearPenguins said:
I really disliked it when they got rid of the cockpits. :(

Ditto, Im bummed when games like Priv2 for example have no cockpit option. Personally I do see why they dont have both options for people who both perfure a HUD or people like me who love the cockpit.

I always played with the cockpits as I liked the look and made me feel more like I was there. But like Mjr. Whoopass said before, a real pilot can use his/her peripheral vision. Also the view out the front isn't a monitor, it takes up his/her whole vision.

Oh and on that note playing on a really big screen doesn't help, I tried it on my 42" plasma and I actually felt like it was smaller than my normal monitor. Weird but it did. I guess in my mind I expected to see more, even though that can't happen.

Skanks said:
But like Mjr. Whoopass said before, a real pilot can use his/her peripheral vision. Also the view out the front isn't a monitor, it takes up his/her whole vision.

I was pretty excited when I read that X2: The Threat was going to take advantage of multiple monitors, so you could actually have the feeling of having peripheral vision in the cockpit. Has anyone actually experienced this yet? I am curious to know how it actually works.

I liked most cockpit views, apart from the Rapier! It just looked kinda unrealistic for a combat aircraft, not to mention it looked like something from a cheap crappy late 70's early 80 sci-fi movie (not star wars :D )

Cockpit. It is much more involving than a few hovering HUDs. The one thing that cockpits didn't have in Wc1-3 is head bobbing. Standoff does it correctly, where there is a cockpit, but your head doesn't move perfectly with the ship's movement. It was like this in Prphecy too, but the cockpits were jsut a few thin bars. I also prefer to be able to toggle between the two.

Lunitari said:
I was pretty excited when I read that X2: The Threat was going to take advantage of multiple monitors, so you could actually have the feeling of having peripheral vision in the cockpit. Has anyone actually experienced this yet? I am curious to know how it actually works.

It does. You can view turrets, the ship's back, external view or even from a remote satellite.

Oh, and... yeah, cockpits are great for realism... No wounder WC4 feels so simulated.

WC4 and P2 felt quite simulated with invisible cockpits, especially P2 since at least WC4 changed colors between green, red, and blue for Confed, BW, and Blank Lance fighters, respectively. But I do like the cockpit struts in WCP, kinda combines the best of both worlds giving a unique feeling for each ship but still more HUD viewing space.

Back