Cockpit Interface....

U

Unregistered

Is there anyway it could look more tech-savvy? Because 1. it makes it look really old, 2. it takes up a lot of the screen, 3. there wouldnt be computers like that 700 years from now, and 4. It looks a lot better if it was like that other game being made, Vegastrike.

hit F1 twice
then it turns off

the cockpit is essential to the retro feeling of the game so we implore you to get used to it :)
the whole point of it is to block your view--that's the incentive to upgrade to a better ship

1: opinion. 2: incentive to buy a ship with a larger viewable area. 3: Unless it's some neural interface, I see nothing wrong with a screen and some buttons. 4: opinion. I like the feeling of actually sitting in a cockpit.

And let us not forget 5: without them it wouldn't be Privateer.

Wing Commander always went for the feeling of World War 2, In Space! Some things will seem a little anachronistic. Anyway, you have everything you need to get rid of them yourself ;) And it's a whole lot easier than you might think.

the only shame is that

only the forward cockpit view is present. Where's the left, right, and rear of the cabin? The feeling of being INSIDE the ship was 50% of this game's charm.

Another gripe while I'm at it: how about stretching the star-base interior graphics to fill the screen? I suppose there's no hope of making the interface function as it used to :)

oh yeah and the 3D damage displays/ scanner displays (for planets and stations) don't hold a candle to the old 2D readouts. Not everything is improved by 3D, you darned kids.

:)

Problems

I think the doods here said that you can press F1 to turn off the cockpit.
I see the side views, they roxor.

I definitely saw an option for large bases in the setup program. I think the doods here mentioned it when they told me how to get mouse cursor back (it was invisible for me)

Hey, "Unregistered", nothing is more rude than coming in here and whining without even a name.

Cockpit_View = F1
View_Left = F2
View_Right = F3
View_Rear = F4

The 3D displays are much better. If you want to orient them to correspond to the original, download the new HUD targetting images on the dlownloads page.

Use large bases in the setup to have fullscreen base art.

There is a manual, you know.

You're right, I should have used a name.

"The 3d displays are MUCH better."

This is INCREDIBLY subjective. :) The old 2D readouts were part of the charm of the game. You could see the guy's weapon systems et al, iirc.

Cycling through guns/missile hardpoints and seeing them highlight in a 2D representation of your ship was pure gold. All good stuff.

I know how to cycle cockpit views, but I don't have any interior graphics for the left, right, or rear cockpit views. They're just not there, and yes, my cockpit is turned on. I'm using the Windows release, maybe there's files omitted?

All in all it's a great effort. An enviable effort. I just don't happen to like some of the liberties that were taken, but it's a matter of opinion.

I know how to cycle cockpit views, but I don't have any interior graphics for the left, right, or rear cockpit views. They're just not there, and yes, my cockpit is turned on. I'm using the Windows release, maybe there's files omitted?
That's definately not normal. In all the ships I've flown the graphics are all there. I'm also using the Windows version. Maybe a reinstall would fix it? Hopefully someone who actually knows something will come in and help fix it too :eek:

I too am running the Windows version and my cockpits have all 4 views...

As for your point about 2D readouts; I guess you're right. I forgot about seeing individual systems. I was 11 or 12 at the time; forgive me. :)

I was 13 =) hehe. I love the feeling the rear and side views give you, as well as the turrents.

-Sco

Back