cloaking

wcwraith

Spaceman
i hear everyone saying that cloaking is useless in prophecy. its not that i dont believe you guys i was just wondering how you know

We know because of several reasons:
1. In the begining it took 12 separate excaliburs to be able to finally get one that survived. Each excal has a cloaker.
2. In WCIV a cloaked ship could see another cloaked ship
THose are the reasons that I can think of right now

In the tactical info that Paladin Sends Blair in the WCP manual. Which states that after contact is lost with the TCS Deveroux a series of 12 excals are sent and only 1 returned

ok i see so is it that they are not effective against the bugs but still against us or not effective at all

As to against us, I am unsure. From how they could be partailly detected in WCIV I would assume that they are useless against us as well as the bugs but I do not know. And I bet there will be some form of brand new cloak that will be effective comming our way in the next WC

Maybe the cloacking project failed, sice the excal was the first and you could only use it once. And the dragon is to expensive, so maybe the cloaking device is also not very cheap.

I would say that another cloaking device will be perfected in the near future. CIS probably already has one but does not want it in full production so it can do spy runs on the Kilrathi or BW, without those sides devoting resources to an effective counter measure.

After all, the Strakha was only known about years after its development.

Cloaking devices

WHAT? Improved cloaks? Whisky Tango Foxtrot are you people talking about? The DRAGON fighter had a perfectly functioning cloaking device, how more perfection can you get? It didnt run out or burn up its crystal, and was always reliable and gave a complete cloak. Even tho you could see other cloaked ships, which I think was simply to be able to see your sides ships, any other ship without a cloak could not see sqat! Splain Lucy!!

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-05-2001 at 12:25]

Yes but couldn't cloaked ships see each other? Also, with cloaked ships you still got that faded outline.

Perhaps a new version was COMPLETELY invisible, even to other cloaked vessels. Although I find it weird that cloaked vessels could see others without special sensor technology.

Or it could be that the ships HUD was set up so no friendly fire incidents would happen say if you took on Avengers which also had cloaking. But anything that will not allow an enemy targeting system to not lock onto your craft is good enough I think! Lets hope with this improved cloak, that we dont end up with a bunch of wings running into each other!

RFBurns

Seven recon Excaliburs were lost, not twelve.

As for cloaking -- it's clearly still around, since the RF-103 mounts a cloaking device. Anti-cloaking devices are put into use by Confed in Proving Grounds and in WIng Commander IV (the Lance class ships have the ability to see outlines of cloaked fighters on both sides).

From a non-universe perspective, Prophecy was originally to include cloaking, and a scene that explains that it has no effect on the Nephilim -- because of the difficulty in producing a good cloak device in the Vision engine for just this one scene, it was removed and the explanation added to the ICIS manual.

Indeed LOAF! There is a scene in WCP where Casey walks past a device as he heads for the stats computer after a mission, there is a technician working on a piece of equipment that looks exactly like Pliars cloaker gadget! I noticed that and said, alright, some cloaking!! But it never came out in the game! :( Anyway, I think that scene is from the 3rd CD in the game, but you can clearly see the device as Casey walks past it!

RFBurns

LOAF: I apologise for my mistake about the 7 not 12 :( anyway what i was saying is that a new cloak that works against the bugs could come later

Again, does anyone have the explanation as to why cloaking doesn't work against the bugs? I do not have that in the WCP Gold manual, and would like to know.

Yes, I'd like to know it, too. Although I have the "normal" WCP manual (It is the South Asia edition though) I still do not know why.
Is it because you assume that all Excaliburs who did recon in Kilrah were equipped with cloaking devices and as they were destroyed their cloaks must have no effect on the bugs?

Back