Cloaking For All (May 17, 2005)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
HCl is working on a patch for the Secret Ops engine that many mod makers would love to get their hands on. A patch to allow cloaking ships! The screenshot below is the result of tweaking some translucency parameters in the game. Unfortunately the effect currently only works in Glide mode, but work is continuing. The only remaining question is why did he choose a lousy Epee?

--
Original update published on May 17, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds cool to me! That's one thing that was lacking, cloacking fighters. I don't really like the Epee either. The armor was really thin. :cool: :D

Whatever happened to Cloaking

I just have trouble buying the fact that after having acquired and perfected cloaking technology from the Kilrathi, Confed suddenly forgets to use it against the nephilim. It's understandable if the bugs see using different wavelengths we do, but at least we could've given it a try right?

My guess is that the remaining WC makers at origin (after Robert's departure) didn't really see too much into it.

I believe it says in the Prophecy ICIS manual that several cloaked Excaliburs were sent in to Kilrah system but they were destroyed so it seems reasonable to assume the aliens can see through cloaking. There was actually meant to be a bit in the first mission where you'd cloak but the aliens can still shoot you, but this was cut from the final game.

Thanks Cpl Hades, that makes sense.
I understand that a lot of the original plans for prophecy were cut in the final version...such as blair being the main character instead of casey and more stress on blair's role as the destroyer of the nephilim in the texts of sivar. Any truth in this?

Kon said:
Thanks Cpl Hades, that makes sense.
I understand that a lot of the original plans for prophecy were cut in the final version...such as blair being the main character instead of casey and more stress on blair's role as the destroyer of the nephilim in the texts of sivar. Any truth in this?

None at all.

Yeah, I've seen that -- it's all made up. It's based on a *fake* script that some fans wrote a few years back and tried to pass off as the 'original' Prophecy script. You can find the *actual* early drafts of Prophecy in our archives section -- they're not as romantic as the stuff in that IMDb listing, but they are real and an interesting look at how the game evolved as time and budget became more of an issue.

Back