Cloaking ability

2-3000 000 persians???
uh...remember that herodotus ain't all that accurate...he is the bloke that estimated about 2000 000 fighting men plus all their women and slaves etc...making a total of 5 million persians, or on the persian force to invade greece...imagine back then the amount of food he'd have to provide...besides...if that was the case, the last land battle of the persian wars had about 100 000 greeks and 110 000 persians...wow...that's a lot of persians killed...

also...back onto the topic track...what exactly IS cloaking?
making the ship invisible is my impression, but that isn't quite it, is it? its also blocking off tracking systems on teh ship as well...
coz i never quite got it...i know its more or an imagination thing right now but what happens when a ship "cloaks"? the ship goes invisible, but what about the person inside? how does the materials in the ship go transparent so that you can see thru the other side?

Cloaking is, in theory, a field which will render a ship and all matter in the adjacent vacinity invisible to the naked eye. I would guess that as well as rendering the ship invisble it would also simultaneously activate several other hightech gizmos to reduce the energy signatures so that sensors wouldn't pick up the engines, shields and all other enery outputs, otherwise the cloak would only be good if you were at a full stop with all power including lifesupport cut off.

I once read in an issue of Uncanny X-Men that cloaking involved some sort of energy field that relfected light rays away from the ship. Don't know if that applies to WC, but just putting in my two cents.

Wedge: You misunderstand. I've only read 5 New Jedi Order books out of the 6 available. Since around 1995 I've read pretty much all the SW novels, save for a couple of A. Allston's books (BTW, I checked out his website and he did work on Claw Marks) and the late-70s, early-80s Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Then it is done with mirrors!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by a moderator:
the U.S. Army is developing a "cloaking" suit. It's a standard BTU with computerized mirrors woven into the fabric. It was on a news article sometime ago. I have no idea if it was completed.

------------------
Meson's Starport!
Wing Commander Academy DHS Version is now available for download!
Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

StarLight: Herodotus quoted a figure of some 3 million Persian troops. This is generally regarded as a massive exaggeration. However it is known that the Persian army considerably outnumbered the Greeks. At that point the Greeks had a force of some 30,000 infantry. The actual size of the Persian army is not known but has been estimated at anything from 150,000 to 300,000 troops.
This figure may seem vast for the ancient world but there is plenty of evidence for it.
Note that about this time the various Chinese states were fielding armies in the hundreds of thousands. The Roman Empire fielded an army, which generally numbered approximately 400,000, but at its numerical peak reached as much as 600,000.
As for financing - well look at it this way. The Persian king is an autocrat in every sense of the word. If he says they're going to invade Greece with the biggest bloody army that part of the world had ever seen then that's whats going to happen. If the treasury hasn't enough then they'll just raise taxes & to hell with public opinion.
Also the Persian Empire spanned Southern Asia & commanded the Trans-Asian trade routes. That's a lot of money. When Alexander the Great overthrew the Persian Empire about 150 years later he ended up with a booty in excess of 180,000 talents of gold - in other words the Persian Achemenid Kings were the 5th & 4th century BC equivalent of Bill Gates.
Finally where did they get all the manpower? Simple - the Persians saved heaps on training & weapons production because they didn't have it. The quality of Persian troops varied from untrained conscripts to the elite 'Immortals' - perhaps the only really professional fighting unit in the whole army. Each unit supplied its own equipment - as attested to by the fact that the Greek observers could readily identify between the different nationalities. And the baulk of the army - levied conscripts, who received no formal training, were drafted from wherever.
The Greeks never had an army numbering 100,000 in those days. As for the final battle (the Battle of Plateau, 479 BC) the Persian King Xerxes I had withdrawn back to Asia Minor (Ancient Turkey) with the baulk of his army. After the actual battle many of the Persians would have escaped rather than be slaughtered.

I`ve been toying around with a little idea about how a cloaking device should work, and it goes something like this:
First, you need to install it on a totally symetrical vehicle so that every part has an identical brother part on the other side of the vehicle. Now, what you do is cover the ship with a layer of Screen that acts as both video camera and TV screen. Essentially, you want each side to transmit what it records to the TV on the other identical part on the other side in a way that causes you to see through the ship.
There are of course a few other things you have to do in order to make it work perfectly, such as changing magnification and stuff like that, but essentially it should work.

I think we should make a fighter our of glass. Yes, that's it. And dress the pilot in a really dark flight suit with stars painted all over it. Yes, that's brilliant. And you wouldn't have to worry about any cloaking devices using all your energy. If anyone's interested give me a call and I'll send you the blue prints I have.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited November 11, 2000).]

figheter out of glass...ya
smile.gif
)) that would be good...except that mean the durasteel would have to be duraglass...it would look pretty cool...like those clear gameboys and controllers etc...

and btw about the greeks not ever having 100 000 they did about there at plataea...it may have not been fighting force, but was there coz the spartans had about 3 helots each and the other blokes had a helot each...still 100 000.

Dralthi5 said:
Wedge: You misunderstand. I've only read 5 New Jedi Order books out of the 6 available. Since around 1995 I've read pretty much all the SW novels, save for a couple of A. Allston's books (BTW, I checked out his website and he did work on Claw Marks) and the late-70s, early-80s Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels.

I apologise. That makes you the authority on SW novels, doesn't it?
smile.gif
BTW, aside from Kathy Tyers, whaddya think of the books written by the female authors. I'm not trying to make this into a battle of the sexes thing, but I found their novels to be too sci-fantasy for me.

And what was the detail of the work on Claw Marks? I don't really have the time to check it myself. Not after going thru this place!

StarLight: The Greeks definitely didn't have an army numbering 100,000 at the Battle of Plateau. I don't know how many helots the Spartans had but there's 1 problem in your reasoning concerning the helots. They're slaves. The Spartans used the helots to do all the non-military work. And by that I mean ANY form of work NOT pertaining to the military. The Spartans were the only Greeks with helots & the reason they had helots was so that they could spend ALL their time training for war.
Finally civilizations that arm their slaves don't generally last long. There were most definitely no helots fighting at all in the Persian Wars.

Oh, my point was that he wrote for WC1 itself, not just CM <G>

I actually had an e-mail conversation with him, some years back... never read his SW stuff, though. I think he lives here in Austin.

I preferred Stackpole's X-Wing novels to Allston's, at least until he wrote Starfighter of Adumar. That one was short, but I think it's my favourite SW novel. Funny how the rest of the galaxy thinks of Adumar in the same way as they might think of Earth. As in national borders, civil wars and the like.

First would clocking be the disruption of the emp septrom blocking it from sight and normal radar. This means that a emp radar could be used to detect it this fitting in to the WCU.
Second is it me or is it that star wars has be related to wing commander from the start A Alistor, reference in reviwe and Hamilton I mean is it just a coincidence or a consiresy next the nelpilim will turn out to be some dark empire alling foes to there order that sapns multiple galaxies and space-time dimensions.

Dark Tower: AFAIK the only linkage between SW & WC is that they're both science fiction. Stuff like Mark Hamill acting in both is probably a coincidence.
Its probable that the Nephilim do resemble something that would resemble what we would call an empire. There is, however, no evidence to argue for or against it since nobody's been to the other side of the wormhole.
"sapns multiple galaxies and space-time dimensions." I think if this were true it would make WC overly complex, though a hell of a lot of fun if done right.

Back