Classic Sierra Collections Finally Released (September 22, 2006)

Hey, not everything is as fortunate as Space Above And Beyond, LOAF

LeHah said:
No offense to ol George Oldziey but parts of KS felt very slap-dash, especially the music. While performed on an updated sound pallette, it didn't really bring anything new to the game.

If they made a live orchestra recording, not that would be something worth it.

LeHah said:
Not to mention - its almost a bad thing updating the music. Everyone remembers the MIDI music from TIE Fighter - but Lucasarts stuck the original John Williams music into the Win9x CD-ROMS. This is a similar affair.

I agree. They only left the original great MIDIs for briefings and menus. It's too bad, because the iMuse system and the tunes for the flight engine were fantastic.

There's even a missing music: when you won, the game played a sort of "victory march", which is missing on every RIP of this game I've found. Now the only way to hear it is playing the game on DOSBox.

LeHah said:
No offense to ol George Oldziey but parts of KS felt very slap-dash, especially the music. While performed on an updated sound pallette, it didn't really bring anything new to the game.

Sure, I prefer the originals, too. I just pointed out that KS had some unique(sp? I'm pretty tired) content that might be cool to check out. Kinda like SNES port's blue laser bolts.:)

Not to mention - its almost a bad thing updating the music. Everyone remembers the MIDI music from TIE Fighter - but Lucasarts stuck the original John Williams music into the Win9x CD-ROMS. This is a similar affair.

Yeah, Tie Fighter had great music!

BTW, is the tune that plays during the "base attack cutscenes"(In the intro and when Zaarin attacks the TA factories) a TF exclusive track? I cant remember ever having heard it in anything else Star Wars related.

Dyret said:
BTW, is the tune that plays during the "base attack cutscenes"(In the intro and when Zaarin attacks the TA factories) a TF exclusive track? I cant remember ever having heard it in anything else Star Wars related.

I think so. Most of the tunes of Tie Fighter were composed for the game, inspired by the work of John Williams.

I saw the LSL box today on the shelf. It definitely appears that LSL7 is absent (LSL7: Love for Sail).

Probably because LSL1, 2, 3, 5, 6 were DOS based, while LSL7 did run on Windows. Probably not WinXP, but Win9x, and they can't get it to run on XP successfully. Looking through this thread carefully and seeing what a rip it is otherwise, I'm not surprised.

Worf said:
I saw the LSL box today on the shelf. It definitely appears that LSL7 is absent (LSL7: Love for Sail).

Probably because LSL1, 2, 3, 5, 6 were DOS based, while LSL7 did run on Windows. Probably not WinXP, but Win9x, and they can't get it to run on XP successfully. Looking through this thread carefully and seeing what a rip it is otherwise, I'm not surprised.

Which is pretty good evidence that Vivendi put 0 work into these packs and is indeed 'milking it'. However, buying these packs is still a good idea IMHO, telling the industry that there is still interest in classic franchises is a very good cause.

hurleybird said:
Which is pretty good evidence that Vivendi put 0 work into these packs and is indeed 'milking it'. However, buying these packs is still a good idea IMHO, telling the industry that there is still interest in classic franchises is a very good cause.

This line of reasoning is just stupid though. Who's to say VU even has the source to go back to? And for twenty bucks? I could see saying they were milking if we had to pay 60 - 80 dollars (which you might have had to had VU paid a team to reverse engineer the old games and rebuild the code). As it is, they *DID* build a custom front end into the thing so that hopefully there's no fiddling with config files. For the average consumer who *Does NOT* have the original dos versions, and is not tech savvy enough to figure out regular dosbox this more than justifies the cost.

Would you rather they had just re-released the dos versions and not bothered providing a way to get them to run? By these retarded reasonings you could say that companies are just "milking it" when they reprint copies of successful novels. After all, they didn't actually do any work the second and third time around. Or studios are milking it when they make DVDs... you know, because it already played out in theaters. If anything, I would say they were "milking it" had they *NOT* included an emulator.

Something interesting about the sets:
Hey i got my collections, and i noticed the SQ collection didnt have SQ1 EGA, but i found out how to put it on, if you have the SQ1EGA from previous collections then you can add it to the launcher. put the SQ1ega folder in the new collection folder like the rest of them, then open the SierraLauncher.ini then change NumButtons=7. type

Game1Name=Space Quest 1 - EGA (w/e you want it called on the launcher)
Game1Prog=dosbox
Game1Path=(name of folder for SQ1ega)
Game1Exe=sierra
Game1Cmd=

if you want it at the end of the list change all the 1's to 7 or if you want it infront of the VGA (like mine) then set it at 1.

i tried to add KQ1ega to the collection but since it only holds up to 7 slots, i never got it to work, unless you delete one of the others

Dyret said:

Yup, that was part of the original MIDI score. Strange that LA would put orchestral music for the in-flight, but leave the MIDI music for the cutscenes, menus, etc

LeHah said:
Yup, that was part of the original MIDI score. Strange that LA would put orchestral music for the in-flight, but leave the MIDI music for the cutscenes, menus, etc

Maybe, since they use the same game engine of X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, that they also decided to "upgrade" the music to the same music of that game. A very bad move.

AD said:
This line of reasoning is just stupid though. Who's to say VU even has the source to go back to? And for twenty bucks?

Please try not to imply that I'm stupid, I take offence to that. If you had taken 5 secounds to search 'leisure suit larry 7 winddows xp' in Google you would have found that other people have found ways to get LL7 to run in XP. It was lazy of Vivendi not include the game.

hurleybird said:
Please try not to imply that I'm stupid, I take offence to that. If you had taken 5 secounds to search 'leisure suit larry 7 winddows xp' in Google you would have found that other people have found ways to get LL7 to run in XP. It was lazy of Vivendi not include the game.

Who was talking about LL7? I wasn't. There may be more issues involved there than you are aware of. And I never implied you were stupid. If it was misconstrued then I appologize.

To me, suggesting that someone is milking something implies that the company is somehow trying to cheat customers... Which isn't the case in a budget-priced compilation like this. On the other hand, companies shoveling out broken games that are unfun just to cash in on a popular movie (tie-in or not) *are* milking, so to speak.

AD said:
Who was talking about LL7? I wasn't. There may be more issues involved there than you are aware of. And I never implied you were stupid. If it was misconstrued then I appologize.

Don't worry about it then :)

If you *weren't* talking about LL7 then I guess you missed something. Look at the thread progression. I was using the lack of a LL7 as the basis of my claim that Vivendi threw these packs together with as little effort as possible. Even the *fans* can get LL7 to run under XP, so there is no excuse for Vivendi to not inlclude it in 'LL collection' -- besides gross laziness. The way I see it, someone at Vivendi thought "Well, LL7 doesen't run under Dosbox, and even though there's a fan made installer script available it's not open-source so we can't steal it... ...screw it." What a horrible attitude. An installer script for LL7 wouldn't have taken the better part of a day to create.

Funny how these things always get boiled down to, on internet forums, "eeeeeevil corporations", as if they were operating in a vacuum and didn't have any other concerns that needed addressing.

Or not so funny. Generic "corporations are eeeeeevil" internetting is rather stale, and definitely not appreciated on this particular board, to the point of people being banned for it.

And, yes, that's an administrative hint.

Even the *fans* can get LL7 to run under XP

While I agree that the lack of LL7 is horrible, I think this statement is wrong -- there's no "even" when the fans are the people who've been playing the game for twenty years and the company releasing the compilation includes no one who worked on the original series.

Death said:
Funny how these things always get boiled down to, on internet forums, "eeeeeevil corporations", as if they were operating in a vacuum and didn't have any other concerns that needed addressing.

Or not so funny. Generic "corporations are eeeeeevil" internetting is rather stale, and definitely not appreciated on this particular board, to the point of people being banned for it.

And, yes, that's an administrative hint.

Oh, I don't think that Vivendi is an 'evil' corporation at all. An evil corporation would be something like Nike, or any other company that takes advantage of children in third world countries. No -- Vivendi isn't 'evil' at all, although they did IMHO get lazy and don't seem to care about the fans of their classic series all that much.

Bandit LOAF said:
While I agree that the lack of LL7 is horrible, I think this statement is wrong -- there's no "even" when the fans are the people who've been playing the game for twenty years and the company releasing the compilation includes no one who worked on the original series.

I'm not quite sure I get this. Are you saying that it's understandable that Vivendi wouldn't put that much effort into these compilations because there is no one still around who worked on those games?

My objection was to the 'even' -- in cases like old Sierra games (or Wing Commander), the fans are now the experts, not people unlikely to be able to spit and glue a game together on a modern operating system.

Ok, I see what you mean. though even then, wouldn't someone from Vivendi just be able to type in 'LL7 windows XP' in google, see how the fans do it, and copy that method? I see it as maybe a days work, if even.

Sure, they can copy it, only to have to face a lawsuit down the road, on software that was not released under a license that would allow others to use it without charge, like for example the GPL. Or did you miss, on that page to which you provided a link, "This software is provided free for non-commercial use."?

(emphasis mine)

As I said, "other concerns that need addressing".

Death said:
Sure, they can copy it, only to have to face a lawsuit down the road, on software that was not released under a license that would allow others to use it without charge, like for example the GPL. Or did you miss, on that page to which you provided a link, "This software is provided free for non-commercial use."?

(emphasis mine)

As I said, "other concerns that need addressing".

Copy the *method*, Death, not actually steal the fan-made install script and inlude it in their compilation without author consent. If you look at the link I posted a while back, you'll see that the site has both the installer script, and a step-by-step guide to install the game without the script. Vividendi only need to look at that step-by-step guide to create their own script, which would have been less than a days work for any somewhat competant programmer.

LeHah said:

Thanks! Do you know if this score can be downloaded anywere?

Back