Classic Launch Scenes On The Ballot (July 2, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Our new poll asks which famous Wing Commander takeoff sequences were your favorite. There's some real classics to choose from. Everyone remembers the dash from the briefing from in Wing Commander 1 (grab the scramble mp3 here) or Blair scrambling down stairs in Wing Commander 3. Prophecy's unique crane on rails was cool to watch, and Academy's holodeck flash was a nifty effect back in 1993. Wing Commanders 2 and 4 gave us quite a few different scrambles based on story situations, and Privateer's happy takeoff music still rings in my ears. One of the least well known, but most exotic launch scenes occurs during the robotic flight suit application process in Super Wing Commander. You can find a video of it in motion here. Check out the Mission Briefing & First Mission clip about about 2:12 in.

Our old poll has closed, and it turns out that people liked Wing Commander 4's cutscenes the most in the series, followed closely by Wing Commander 3. Wing Commander 2 actually managed to beat out Prophecy, and Wing Commander 1 even passed Privateer 2. It appears that live actors and real sets aren't all that matter to people.

Which Wing Commander game had your favorite cutscenes?

Wing Commander
5.72%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 2
11.08%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 3
27.79%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 4
36.98%
orangeblock.gif

Prophecy
7.99%
orangeblock.gif

Privateer
4.29%
orangeblock.gif

Privateer 2
4.89%
orangeblock.gif

Other
1.25%
orangeblock.gif

Ended July 2, 2006 | 2166 votes

--
Original update published on July 2, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted Merchant's Guild cause I wanna be a fighting merchant.

But I'm unfamiliar with the Society of Mandarins. Could someone fill me in?

Did you play Wing Commander 2 and its addons? They were the traitors that thought the way for humanity to survive the war was to cooperate with the Kilrathi. Jazz was a member.

My vote goes to Mercenaries' Guild since it fits it my gun for hire playstyle.

One thing about Society of Mandarins, I wonder if they allso were funding BL operations. The reason im wondering this is because they fit into type of people who want be at power or verry close to it. Since Kilrathi invasion was defeated and their promised rewards vanished they might look for new way to gain the same thing only this time on human side. I suppose Tolwyn might have rejected their offers at start but supose they were willing to suport some of his more nonethical projects with money and people. End result might have been what we saw in WC4, especialy when Tolwynn wanted to unite Terran forces under one banner to fight off the soon comming new threath(Nephilm?). Anyway its bit iffy since there isnt a lot of info what happened to Society of Mandarins post WC3 and what their new goals were. *spoilers* Btw I know WC2:SO2 shows the destruction of Mandarin base where most if not all Mandarins were, but locic tells that some must have been left behind on earth.

That doesn't seem to go with the reasons behind the society's existence. The goal of the Society of Mandarins was to defeat the Kilrathi - they believed the war couldn't be won conventionally, and that to save as many lives as possible the Confederation should surrender and then conquer the Empire from within.

There were still Mandarins around after Special Operations 2 -- we hear abotu them in bartender conversations in Privateer.

Back