Classic Gaming via DosBox

Dougly

Spaceman
I’ve been playing through the older Wing Commander games on DosBox, and I’m amazed by how well they run on there. I’m actually at the point where I’m more interested in running older games on DosBox – games I haven’t played in years - than I am in going out in buying new ones.

I’m in the middle of trying to re-play all of the Wing Commander games. I’ve already installed and completed WCI and II their expansion packs. I’ve also managed to get WCIII up and running, and I’ve made it to the Ariel missions. So, in the future, I hope to install WCIV, and both Privateers.

Sometime in the near future, I’d also like to try to get the following games running on DosBox:

1) Both Crusader Games
2) All of the Space Quest games
3) Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Star Trek Judgement Rites
4) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5) Heart of China
6) Police Quests I-IV
7) The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Aman Ra
8) Gold Rush

I’m curious… For those of you who have been using DosBox, what games do you plan on trying to install and play again?

Actually, I don't think I've ever tried installing Fate of Atlantis on XP. It's been years since I played that game, and I guess I just assumed it wouldn't work.

I'll have to give it a try.

There's nothing in particular from DOS that I've been unable to run with older tools like BeehiveOS, regular old bootdisks, VDMSound, and older versions of dosbox, but I've been sorta tempted to play Dungeon Keeper and see if it works under dosbox. I should see if anyone's had any success getting DK2 stable on XP, actually...

That said, it may be getting around time for me to play X-Com, X-Com:Apocalypse, or Magic Carpet 2 again, once I've finished playing Privateer and Righteous Fire again. Master of Orion is another nice one to run in Dosbox, and if they ever fix the copy protection problem DosBox has with MechWarrior 2, I'd probably play that some too.

My big problem with retrogaming are the early win95 games, like MW2 Titanium ed. and I-war 1. Pure DOS stuff usually works pretty well with dosbox or vdm.

Originally posted by Edfilho
My big problem with retrogaming are the early win95 games, like MW2 Titanium ed. and I-war 1. Pure DOS stuff usually works pretty well with dosbox or vdm.

Have you tried Microsoft's Virtual PC?

I don't know how well it works for running Win 95/98 games, but it can be legally downloaded for free now. There was news update about it on this website only a few months ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

That sounds really interesting. Thanks for the tip, and the handy link. I'm downloading it as we type. :)

Does Virtual PC require that you also acquire a copy of the OS that you want to emulate? Older OSes such as DOS 6.x or Win95 are hard to get these days.

Lt.Death100 said:
I'm gonna look for Sam and Max: Hit the road.

Check the Lucas Arts webpage, they actually created an updated .exe that works perfectly with XP. It was a great find. Even the sound works perfect-- something I never got to work right in DOS. However, you will need the CD.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Does Virtual PC require that you also acquire a copy of the OS that you want to emulate? Older OSes such as DOS 6.x or Win95 are hard to get these days.

I'm not 100% sure, because I've never used virtual PC myself (only heard about it on the news update on this website). However, I think I read somewhere that you do need to own a copy of the OS you want to emulate.

I wonder if EBay would have a copy of Windows 95 available?

I actually went to install Heart of China last night. But I ran into an unexpected problem.

The floppy disks I have for that game are 5.25. And I no longer have a drive on my computer for those.

I had a good laugh at myself. What a putz! This should have been something I thought of right off the bat when I decided that I wanted to play old games again.

I think we have a computer with an older floppy drive on it around here somewhere. Maybe I can copy the Heart of China disks over to something a little more modern. :)

Back