CIC to Watermark Images (April 1, 2004)

KrisV

Administrator
We always try to use pretty pictures in our news updates, but one negative side-effect is that they get hotlinked from various other sites. Then we get stuck with the bandwidth bill while getting nothing in return. For many years we've put no watermark on our images whatsoever. Unfortunately the time has come for a change. These wallpapers from Standoff are among other hotlinked files being used across the internet. In the future, you will be able to tell when an image comes from the CIC by our new, nonintrusive watermark. Let us know what you think.

cic-watermarked.jpg

--
Original update published on April 1, 2004

Last edited:
They're always really obvious. Everyone in #wingnut is always insanely suprised when people fall for them.

This is my first year, I didn't even know it was April Fools until Quarto responded to that pm I sent him last night. That pretty much made me feel that it was true. Last night, I thought I was about to go out of mind with all that stupid, unbelieveable stuff. Next, I probably be able to guess most of them--if not all.

Someone IM'd me angry because I'd forgotten to link to the auction for the diamond-encrusted manta ray.

I think last year's was really good. They had all the links on the front page go to their "Subscribe" link.

The trick was that all the links from that page actually went to the right pages...

Back