Chris Roberts

Wulf

Vice Admiral
Ok...first, he broke away from Origin. Now, he's breaking off from his own company, Digital Anvil, and going someplace else. :rolleyes:

Is there any good motive for doing that? What does he have in mind? Also, I think, but not sure, that FreeLancer is still in developement. Will his leaving affect the progress of it any? I want that game really bad and I hope I'll see it on the shelves someday.

The game IS coming. But CR Didn't ever wan't to be apart of a mega company. Origin was a small company absorbed by a big one. He left. DA was a small company absorbed by MS, a big one. He left. Maybe he'll start another one. But freelancer is coming.

Small game companys GOOD
Big game companys BAD

just look at ID software they where a small company that revolutonized gaming industry, now they are big and just look at them their games degenerates into worthless piece of coding

Just a reminder, we wouldnt have had WC3/4 if EA hadnt put up the money for them. Origin couldnt have done it by itself.

True Sup, but the ultimate price was the loss of CR and the death of the WC series.

Quite a hefty price, no?

WCP made more money than WCIV did and CR had nothing to do with it. Also it is the fact that the entire space sim genre died (or went into hybernation) that caused WC to by put into hibernation as well so wait

Well I wonder if the lack of Multiplayer hurt WCP.

There is a space sim game called Tachyon I have that has MP (I've never used it)

They need a lot of money and PR to get big, and for some reason people don't get into space sims. They'd rather something completely new... or a FPS ;)

I've always had a dream of a fully function online Privateer universe. Custom ship design built into the game. It is a dream that will most likely never be reached.

Think along the lines of Star Wars: Galaxies... except bigger. I mean a simple built in 3D modeler itself, with all the network support, would be too much for most companies to risk.

Wulf: Roberts has founded Point of No Return Production. It's not for video games, it's for film.

Sat: The WC series is only as dead as you want it to be. I'm on this board daily to prevent that. If you think it's dead, I think you should join the misenthropic body of idiots who believe what's new and popular is better than whats actually good .

Nap: WC:p made more money than WCIV because WC:p had a shitty budget of 1 mil. WCIII made more money than WC:p, it had a 30 million opening day. Your point is defeated.

...the misenthropic body of idiots who believe what's new and popular is better than whats actually good.

Like those people who flocked in droves to buy Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album. Or Mudvayne. I mean, what the hell is that!?

I'll keep The Doors and The Cult, thank you very much!

Sorry. Get back to your CR discussion.

Originally posted by LeHah

Sat: The WC series is only as dead as you want it to be. I'm on this board daily to prevent that. If you think it's dead, I think you should join the misenthropic body of idiots who believe what's new and popular is better than whats actually good .

LeHah, helps give hope for the WC universe during the day, stalks celebreties at night

Originally posted by LeHah

Nap: WC:p made more money than WCIV because WC:p had a shitty budget of 1 mil. WCIII made more money than WC:p, it had a 30 million opening day. Your point is defeated.

no it isn't he said that each successive game cost more, it did not.

You're both forgetting the fact that the american dollar went through inflation between WCIII and Prophecy.

CR isn't the kind of guy to lay low for a long time. I bet he's working on something BIG right now. Some Sci-Fi movie or another software company.
I don't think big game companys are bad, just the ones where the profit is the ultimate objective. Origin was a big company a couple of years back...

Profit is a good reason to run a business. ;)

Still, what was $5 in 1995 is now $5.50 or something. The american $ is in constant flux.

Start counting in Euros, NoRemorse... January 2002 is straight ahead... :)
Au revoir les "nouveaux" francs...

need for standardized currency

We all need to have standardized currency eventually.

Back