Chicken's WIP webcomic

Chicken

Spaceman
These are a couple of ship schematics for my WIP webcomic. Comments are welcome.

I'll be honest in telling that many of my ships have been influenced by Wing Commander.

Attachments

• phalanx med fighter.jpg
    phalanx med fighter.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 130
  • almorva esc-carrier.jpg
    almorva esc-carrier.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 123
I'm too lazy to post stuff on ImageShack right now, but here's more stuff.

Attachments

• zaer-kethroes de.jpg
    zaer-kethroes de.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 127
  • tal-hirion dd.jpg
    tal-hirion dd.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 104
Wow! Here's another post featuring some character references I'm working on.

Attachments

• expo 2.jpg
    expo 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 105
  • expo 3.jpg
    expo 3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 98
Very good artwork my friend,really.You are talented,why dont you do a Wing Commander webcomic instead of one that is inspired from WC ? :)

hmm....really great designs. a bit homogenous in theme, but good none the less. i'd....well, i'd avoid the anime thing. it seems that everyone these days is doing the whole anime/manga look. while very well drawn, its just becoming really annoying to see this trend show in every piece of work done by someone. i'd maybe go more for the realistic look for the characters, since, to be honest, thats the way WC has always gone anyway. but hey, thats just one mans opinion.

That's some awesome work. Very clean. I like it. I agree with Brad, I'd like to see something other than anime although yours is very good looking. I just personally prefer a different style. Still, looks very good. Keep us informed on your comic.

That's an awesome fighter design. Bug some half-decent guy to make a model of it. :)

TCSTigersClaw said:
Very good artwork my friend,really.You are talented,why dont you do a Wing Commander webcomic instead of one that is inspired from WC ? :)

There were a number of times I wanted to do a Wing Commander comic, but apparently somebody 'had' plans for one. Whatever happened to it I don't know.

Although I'd love to do a WC comic, I've spent close to four years working off and on with my own project, truthfully, it began as to separate series and merged into a single entity.

The 1st was WC, the 2nd a much larger and surprisingly complex (for me at least) story that wove sci-fi, faith, and magic into a unintentionally Tolkien-like work. To make a long story short, I have several notebooks, sketch pads, and scrap paper works all dedicated to the history of the Esercian Codex, but I'm left with one problem:

1+1=2

Otherwise, time to put it together and create a story.

Thus the Esercian Codex (my comic universe) was born. I'm still working on a title, but the current WIPtitle is Starfall.

About the anime part, a lot of people are surprised that I'm learning to draw manga, and that my comic will be using both manga and western style (stuff like Al Rio, Joe Garcia, and Stan Lee). Manga is simplistic to western comics, but has a lot of great ways to portray humor. The hard part is balancing the two genres so they compliment each other, that's where trial and error will take place.

I happen to agree with many people that manga has been beat to death, so I decided to ignore lots of artists paths of stylizing their work to japanimation, and learn from the true source: Imported Japanese Manga!

Edit: Should probably explain what I mean for a damn moment. I intend to use both genres, side by side and will avoid mixing the two, so to avoid creating some stillborn child of comic.

Screw the anime and American wannabes.

On the matter of ships, I've still got a large list to go. When I'm finished drawing and tearing out my hair with the schematics, I'm going to ask somebody to model them for me, because I already bled enough creating them. My actual plan is to use the ship models for the comic.

Here's another set of pictures to stare at.

Attachments

• waraxe hvy fighter.jpg
    waraxe hvy fighter.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 89
  • lusaeus anatomy 1.jpg
    lusaeus anatomy 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 58
Yep.

Also figure I'd add a sector star map that shows systems and known jump routes. The actual story will take place mostly on one world in the Cortayne system, but there will be plenty of other systems, Sol included, that will be featured throughout the storyline as it progresses. Keep in mind this is only one of a many more sector maps I'm still working on.

Another small update... MAPS!

Here's a small update for you folks.

Besides wading through Standoff and Privateer Remake, I've put in some more time into my comic. Enjoy the maps.

ChrisReid said:
Those look a lot more like maps of Middle Earth than sector diagrams.

Yep they're maps like Tolkien, but the maps represent a different a sector of command, hence Sector 1 and Sector 2. But it ain't Middle Earth. I've got roughly 12 maps at hand, some completed, others undergoing creation. But the fun stuff begins when I 'photoshop' 'em to make maps depicting physical, climate, and historical figures.

Who ever can tell me what the land mass in the lower right corner of map 1 gets an imaginary cookie.

Chicken said:
Yep they're maps like Tolkien, but the maps represent a different a sector of command, hence Sector 1 and Sector 2. But it ain't Middle Earth. I've got roughly 12 maps at hand, some completed, others undergoing creation. But the fun stuff begins when I 'photoshop' 'em to make maps depicting physical, climate, and historical figures.

Who ever can tell me what the land mass in the lower right corner of map 1 gets an imaginary cookie.

It looks like it should be Morocco or Tunisia, but I still don't understand how those have anything to do with space or Wing Commander or what "a different a sector of command" means.

ChrisReid said:
It looks like it should be Morocco or Tunisia, but I still don't understand how those have anything to do with space or Wing Commander or what "a different a sector of command" means.

(Chicken realizes his problem)

I'm a dumbass. I didn't explain what the maps are. These maps are where the story takes place on Esercia, in the Cortayne system. Though the bulk of the story will be told in the major city of Cyrenia (location of the Naval Academy that trains personel for the Space Forces, ironic its planetside though), other areas will be mentioned througout for flashbacks and like minded events.

Esercia is divided into many sectors, which are assigned to different military commands, such as the army, navy, air force, etc.

Back