Check out Differences From the Early Amiga Rolling Demo Preview (February 6, 2024)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Colonel Halcyon’s uniform is a little crazy in the Wing Commander Amiga rolling demo! The final product reduced everything to 16 colors which looked much closer to the EGA version.

The Hornet cockpit slides forward to open instead of hinging up from behind. I can’t explain that change but it didn’t make it to the final version of the port!

Differences
  • The preview uses 64-color Extra Half-Brite (EHB) mode while the final version of the game uses the standard 16-color mode.
  • Colonel Halcyon's uniform is grey with a green undershirt and a red insignia.
  • The pilots running during the scramble are noticeably closer together.
  • During the takeoff and landing cutscenes the Hornet cockpit slides forward instead of lifting up. It displays more damage than the game allows during landing.
  • The Hornet cockpit is incomplete and does not have any active instrumentation.
  • The landing cutscene shows the Hornet landing upside down and then backwards.
  • There is one fewer flight deck crewman during the landing cutscene.

Interested in learning more or trying it yourself? I decided to spend some time tonight putting together a WCPedia page on the Amiga demo! Hope to do similar for other demos in the coming days.

--
Original update published on February 6, 2024

I knew I hadn't gone crazy! I was sure remembered Halcyon having a Grey uniform on Amiga; I must have got confused between the game and the rolling demo at the shop (remember when we went to brick & mortar stores for games1)

Back