Cheating in the XBox 360

there are places you can buy savegame files with everything unlocked, I think.

They have that for WoW, too. Its actually something of an economy, powerleveling and gold farming.

EDIT: It is HIGHLY frowned upon by Blizzard, as in account ban frown.

thats a bit different, unlocking stuff in a single player game is quite a bit different than doing it in World of Warcraft where you are directly affecting your influence with other players who HAVE made the time commitment.

I like the way the games are now with the differing levels of difficulty. They're accessible to all gamers but can still be quite challenging if we wish them so, and on the 360 many achievements can only be unlocked on high difficulties.

Well about three months ago I was playing Call of Duty 4 on veteran and found it to be -incredibly- hard. There were 3 or 4 areas in particular that I found downright sadistic. The "Mile High Club" achievement in particular... but I slogged through it and today am quite proud of my CoD4 achievements just because of how damn hard that game was.

But at the same time I like that there's a "rookie" mode so that any old gamer can just jump in and play and not suffer through the endless frustration. I only wish more games would let you play on the hardest difficulty right from the start, I don't like to be "eased into" things. I.E. in Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Gears of War you have to finish them on heroic/veteran/hardcore respectively in order to unlock the higher difficulties. I'd prefer just to have that challenge from the start...

But I guess I kind of understand it. Gears of War and Halo 3 in particular, their "highest" diff campaigns seem to be meant almost exclusively for co-op play.

hehe, I must be the only gamer in existence who wishes games were even easier than they are now :p

One thing old games had going for them is a lot of them had fairly high learning curves. I can remember going shithouse trying to figure out Longbow and many of the other Jane's titles. Once you figured them out though they were incredibly fun and rewarding.

I miss the days of having every hat, button, switch and dial on my Thrustmaster sticks mapped and still having to reach the keyboard for some crazy function that I couldn't squeeze on to launch a missile at a tank behind a hill 2.5 klicks away.

But at the same time I like that there's a "rookie" mode so that any old gamer can just jump in and play and not suffer through the endless frustration. I only wish more games would let you play on the hardest difficulty right from the start, I don't like to be "eased into" things. I.E. in Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Gears of War you have to finish them on heroic/veteran/hardcore respectively in order to unlock the higher difficulties. I'd prefer just to have that challenge from the start...

But I guess I kind of understand it. Gears of War and Halo 3 in particular, their "highest" diff campaigns seem to be meant almost exclusively for co-op play.

Halo 3 has all difficulty modes available from the start. I don't mind it too much in general. The worst thing is when a game has all difficulty levels available from the start, and you finish the game on the hardest level first, and then the game has easy level achievements that don't get unlocked when you do this.

One thing old games had going for them is a lot of them had fairly high learning curves. I can remember going shithouse trying to figure out Longbow and many of the other Jane's titles. Once you figured them out though they were incredibly fun and rewarding.

I miss the days of having every hat, button, switch and dial on my Thrustmaster sticks mapped and still having to reach the keyboard for some crazy function that I couldn't squeeze on to launch a missile at a tank behind a hill 2.5 klicks away.

Yeah, but that was different, even if it was incredibly difficult, Longbow put all the control squarely in your hands. The missions were all flyable once you learned the game.

But point and shoot games just rely on reflexes that I clearly do not have, I miss some of the dumber AI's of yester-year.

Halo 3's campaign is entirely manageable solo. It's actually one of my favorite things to play. If anything the skulls are meant for Legendary co-op. Without a few of them turned on you can breeze through levels.

ChrisReid said:
The worst thing is when a game has all difficulty levels available from the start, and you finish the game on the hardest level first, and then the game has easy level achievements that don't get unlocked when you do this.

After you told me that about C&C3 I haven't bothered to try and get any of those achievements. There's really no need to play each campaign 3 times, especially when some of those levels are a real pain in the ass.

I think there should be cheats, codes, hidden stuff, whatever that doesn't actually make it easier to play the game or anything but does something cool. For example the recently announced news of Darth Vader and Yoda being in Soul Calibur, they would have to be found or unlocked in some way I would think. Or way back when you could enter a name, or a code, and you could play as Bill Clinton or Michael Jordan in basketball.

I think there should be... for example the recently announced news of Darth Vader and Yoda being in Soul Calibur, they would have to be found or unlocked in some way I would think.

Fortunately, that's pretty much the way it is now. This sort of thing is getting to be fairly common in certain types of games today.

Yeah. How about there being able to fly an X Wing, or as Luke Skywalker, in HOTT? Oh wait, they did the latter. But fun stuff. Hidden away or hinted at stuff that make you play and see.

DOA4 isn't too bad with getting everything unlocked. Before I had my own gamertag I did it on my old roommate's ybox and it took me may be a week to unlock 95%. My main drive was to unlock the Spartan Nicole. Playing DOA4 as a Spartan was pretty cool, but it quickly lost its appeal to me after that.

Oh, unlocking most of the characters/stages was no real problem for me. "Beat the story mode with every character once to unlock other characters" is a requirement I had no problem with because it didn't force me to do the same thing over and over again.
But now I am still missing one character (Tengu) and in order to unlock Tengu I have to beat the Time attack mode with all characters (in the end forcing me to do everything once again since Time attack is not much different to story mode), unlock every costume (I still have to unlock about 21 after already unlocking about 40 - which is done by repeatedly completing the story mode with that character) and I have to unlock evey system voice (which means I have to do the training mode with every character: 21 characters with each about 100 moves I think).
And the thing with DoA 4 is that the AI is rather unfair/unpredictable (for me at least), especially the end boss Alpha-152 (and especially if you have to fight her with someone like the Spartan) which makes for frustrating and time-consuming battles.

So I have lots of hours before me, doing the same thing again and again. Here, I'd like to have a cheat.
(Also a lot of the costumes are boring: just colour variations. That's especially true for Nicole).

there are places you can buy savegame files with everything unlocked, I think.

that might be the way to go.

Thanks for the hint but no, I won't pay money for something like this.

Ah, the mighty cheat code... and the many fake ones. This all brings back memories.

Unlockables = good.
Highly difficult achievements = also good.
Highly difficult unlockables = sadistic. OK, so "x thing" is amazing and should be a great reward- but some requirements in certain games are downright ridiculous.

If you really, really want your cheat codes that bad....

www.codejunkies.com has you covered. And besides, who doesn't want to hack into hidden beta content as well as use such codes? (OK, so I don't own one myself. But at times I wish I had one for gamecube so I could access certain hidden things- the codes I could live without, but still enjoy from time to time.)

Thanks for the hint but that site does not seem to offer saves/codes for the XBox 360. Also, it seems as if I had to pay which is something I do not want to.

Well, yesterday I played Time Attack with Leon - until I came to Alpha-152 I still had good chances to beat it under 4.30 and then I spent 70 minutes trying to beat her. And I will have to do it again for a dozen times. Hooray.

BTW, I bet the boss after those 70 minutes and unlocked that third costume for Leon (Rambo). At least it's a nice costume but I didn't think "Wow, I did it, I am proud of myself" but "Oh no, I have to do this crap so many more times."

I was talking specifically about their action replay, which creates its own codes. (OK, so technically not- people find them and post them, etc...)

The only game that I know of with cheats is the LEGO Star Wars games. However, the achievements are usually attainable only if you don't have the cheats on.

Back